Author Topic: 5 Gullah Geechee Influences in Modern Day Jacksonville  (Read 261 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
5 Gullah Geechee Influences in Modern Day Jacksonville
« on: November 08, 2018, 11:07:50 AM »

Historically associated with the Lowcountry region that stretches from Wilmington, North Carolina to St. Augustine, Florida, the Gullah Geechee are descendants of Central and West African ancestors who arrived in America through the transatlantic slave trade. They've had a major impact on the local culture of Jacksonville, which boasts more Gullah Geechee descendants than any other place in the country.

Full article: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/5-gullah-geechee-influences-in-modern-day-jacksonville/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Adam White

• Facebook
Re: 5 Gullah Geechee Influences in Modern Day Jacksonville
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 11:24:57 AM »
I grew up down the road from Cosmo. It was always shrouded in mystery to me - though some of the kids rode my school bus. It breaks my heart to see how the community is on the verge of extinction. Theirs is certainly one of the more interesting stories in Jacksonville.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

downtownbrown

Re: 5 Gullah Geechee Influences in Modern Day Jacksonville
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 01:49:14 PM »
One of my favorite trivia questions:  What's the most well known of all Gullah words, and common in English useage?

Answer: Kumbaya, which is the Gullah pronunciation for Come by here.