Author Topic: Lawsuit shows Duval County elections supervisor wouldn’t provide Spanish ballots  (Read 384 times)

Tacachale

• Administrator
https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20181105/lawsuit-and-emails-show-duval-county-elections-supervisor-wouldnt-provide-spanish-ballots

Lawsuit and emails show Duval County elections supervisor wouldn’t provide Spanish ballots

By Andrew Pantazi

Posted at 10:51 AM
Updated at 10:55 AM

Lawsuit and emails show Duval County elections supervisor wouldn’t provide Spanish ballots

Voting rights groups alleged in a court filing Sunday that Duval County refused to provide Spanish-language sample ballots at early voting sites. The groups attached emails with a city attorney arguing that the county wasn’t required to do so.

In September, a Tallahassee federal judge ordered Duval County Supervisor of Elections Mike Hogan and other supervisors to “provide signage, sample facsimile ballots, and notice in Spanish on their websites.” That order said it was too late to require Hogan to provide official ballots in Spanish.

In that order, federal Judge Mark E. Walker wrote that “it is remarkable that it takes a coalition of voting rights organizations and individuals to sue in federal court to seek minimal compliance with the plain language of a venerable 53-year-old law.”

https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20181105/lawsuit-and-emails-show-duval-county-elections-supervisor-wouldnt-provide-spanish-ballots
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Interesting. I didn't know it was so difficult to get a Spanish ballot in a major Florida county in 2018.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Snaketoz

No doubt in my mind that Mr. Hogan intentionally avoided doing so to suppress the Hispanic vote.  It's pretty unnerving when you realize that the Supervisor of Elections office is run by a partisan, backassward rube who has no integrity.  I hope he gets punished.

Steve

• The Jaxson
This is kinda interesting - the sample ballot I got in the mail was in english and spanish.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
So was mine...hmmm...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Tacachale

• Administrator

Hogan described in a statement late Monday what he called “our significant efforts to provided [sic] Spanish voters with a Spanish-language sample ballot.” He said the office mailed out sample ballots in English and Spanish to “every one of the 494,696 registered voters in Duval County.” (There are actually 607,386 registered voters.)

According to the court filing, though, a Spanish-speaking voter in Duval asked for a Spanish sample ballot when voting Sunday. “Despite her request, a polling official at the early voting site did not provide her a Spanish-language facsimile ballot.”

When an attorney emailed Hogan, Jason Teal, assistant general counsel for the city, wrote that “our read of Judge Walker’s order never mandated that Spanish-language sample ballots appear in early voting sites.”

Hogan added that there were 271 versions of sample ballots and it wasn’t feasible to keep all 271 versions available at every early voting site.

Hogan's responses seem fairly reasonable to me, but if the sample ballots are online, why not just print them as people ask for them at early voting.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
^That would seem like a simple solution.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Adam White

• Facebook

Hogan described in a statement late Monday what he called “our significant efforts to provided [sic] Spanish voters with a Spanish-language sample ballot.” He said the office mailed out sample ballots in English and Spanish to “every one of the 494,696 registered voters in Duval County.” (There are actually 607,386 registered voters.)

According to the court filing, though, a Spanish-speaking voter in Duval asked for a Spanish sample ballot when voting Sunday. “Despite her request, a polling official at the early voting site did not provide her a Spanish-language facsimile ballot.”

When an attorney emailed Hogan, Jason Teal, assistant general counsel for the city, wrote that “our read of Judge Walker’s order never mandated that Spanish-language sample ballots appear in early voting sites.”

Hogan added that there were 271 versions of sample ballots and it wasn’t feasible to keep all 271 versions available at every early voting site.

Hogan's responses seem fairly reasonable to me, but if the sample ballots are online, why not just print them as people ask for them at early voting.

Sounds like an issue of incompetence or budget more than some sort of nefarious plot to me.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Steve

• The Jaxson

Sounds like an issue of incompetence or budget more than some sort of nefarious plot to me.

Based on Mike Hogan’s public political experience, I completely agree.