Author Topic: Bike Share Program Proposed for Jacksonville  (Read 22489 times)

fieldafm

• Editor
Re: Bike Share Program Proposed for Jacksonville
« Reply #120 on: March 04, 2021, 12:11:09 PM »
I don't know the details of VeoRide's proposal, so let's assume it was the best. However, I am familiar with one of the more well-known micromobility company's proposal, a proposal that was not selected by JTA. That proposal focused on dockless electric scooter and electric-assisted pedal bikes. They would have had a set number of units deployed within 90 days of a signed agreement (and would have adjusted the amount of vehicles in circulation as demand grew/receded, etc), did not need any financial assistance from JTA/COJ, were willing to work with public agencies on various strategies to avoid the negative effects of dockless vehicle clutter, and would have paid a portion of revenues to JTA.

My understanding is that COJ did not want dockless bikes/scooters along sidewalks, and that was the deal killer. JTA's request specifically wanted docked stations at Skyway stops (presumably so they didn't need COJ's signoff). Not sure if the conversation with COJ ever explored alternatives, like designated dockless parking spots (see below).

I think this is another instance of agencies working in silos. An RFP was put out by one agency. That RFP elicited responses from many well-qualified companies. After the conclusion of the bidding process, said agency then tried to get approval from other public agencies who didn't want the system in the first place, and found a reason to say no. 

I fully understand the frustrating malaise than can occur when (proverbially) navigating the waters where several slow-moving ships that are not eager to veer off their traditional routes, try passing themselves in a narrow channel... but it seems like the entire process could have been handled better at the start, and potential concerns could have been addressed before an RFP was ever issued.

That's my view from 2,000 feet as someone that was a little more connected to this process than a standard armchair quarterback.

As expected, with the passage of Councilwoman Cumber's ordinance, dockless mobility options are now on the streets of DT Jax.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2021/03/04/creating-buzz-electric-scooters-rev-up-in-downtown-jacksonville/

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: March 04, 2021, 11:04:08 PM »
About damn time!
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #122 on: March 05, 2021, 12:36:36 PM »
Interesting, so it's like docked but without the actual docks? I'm assuming the apps must be able to prevent you from ending your ride unless the scooter is parked within the parking zone? And that the scooters will refuse to leave the project area?

I had a chance to use the Skip/Helbiz scooters when I was last in DC before the pandemic, but there weren't parking zones and I don't think I ever left the area for there to be issues. It seems like it would be easy to be at JRTC and want to head north but hit the wall.

Logistics aside, I think it's a nice little improvement to have, especially if they're able to effectively control them like this. It's no "game changer" but it's definitely a QOL bump for mobility. Now if we can just start chipping at the larger structural challenges…
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

jaxlongtimer

Scooters for Downtown Jacksonville
« Reply #123 on: March 05, 2021, 05:50:07 PM »
Forget BRT, Skyway, cars, bikes or walking.  Let's use scooters!

City trying out 400 of them from 4 different services for a year but they do cost to rent.  I just want to know how safe is it on one of these on a city street in traffic?  Especially when Jax drivers are not used to looking for them and we already have a terrible track record hitting pedestrians and bicyclists?  Maybe it would be a good idea to have a dedicated transit way for these.

https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/downtown-jacksonville-gets-400-electric-scooters/4T32WNCHF5CTFEWWY7GQJMWZZY/

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #124 on: March 06, 2021, 06:39:16 AM »
Never see me on one... isn't Jax one of the least safe place for cyclists and pedestrians? Death and dismemberment downtown...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2021, 06:48:57 AM »
As of now, they are only downtown in the Northbank.  For those who have visited the Northbank recently, one would know that you can pitch a tent on most of the streets in the middle of rush hour and not worry about getting hit by a car. It's likely the safest place in town to try them out.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Zac T

« Reply #126 on: March 06, 2021, 12:21:24 PM »
I rode one yesterday. It was fun and didn't feel too much different than riding a bicycle on the street except you look like more of an idiot

blizz01

« Reply #127 on: March 06, 2021, 01:47:00 PM »
Are these in Gainesville too?

WAJAS

« Reply #128 on: March 06, 2021, 02:52:18 PM »
I think these have been good additions in Miami and Orlando when I experienced them. It'll take a bit for people to become used to the parking requirements and other rules, but it tends to work out. I hope they expand it into Brooklyn, Riverside, and San Marco soon, then I would probably use it.

They're really useful as a first/last-mile service for people without their own bikes or scooters.

tufsu1

« Reply #129 on: March 06, 2021, 09:28:24 PM »
One was left across the street from my home today - blocks from the nearest of the 35 dockless hubs. This is pretty normal for these systems. Curious to see how long it takes for the company (or another user) to move it.

bl8jaxnative

Re: Scooters for Downtown Jacksonville
« Reply #130 on: March 08, 2021, 08:39:22 AM »
Forget BRT, Skyway, cars, bikes or walking.  Let's use scooters!

City trying out 400 of them from 4 different services for a year but they do cost to rent.  I just want to know how safe is it on one of these on a city street in traffic?  Especially when Jax drivers are not used to looking for them and we already have a terrible track record hitting pedestrians and bicyclists?  Maybe it would be a good idea to have a dedicated transit way for these.

https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/downtown-jacksonville-gets-400-electric-scooters/4T32WNCHF5CTFEWWY7GQJMWZZY/

Jacksonville, like other cities, really needs to build some bikeways. 

As much as I hate to say it, they would be a better place for the GD scooters.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #131 on: March 08, 2021, 09:29:17 AM »
Shared use paths and bikeways are coming! Stay tuned!
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Ken_FSU

« Reply #132 on: March 12, 2021, 09:09:39 PM »
As of now, they are only downtown in the Northbank.  For those who have visited the Northbank recently, one would know that you can pitch a tent on most of the streets in the middle of rush hour and not worry about getting hit by a car. It's likely the safest place in town to try them out.

In the last two weeks, I've only seen one near miss.

Lady going full speed in the wrong direction down Duval Street.

Blew straight through the red light and into the middle of Main, which can be like a runway if the lights are all green.

Legit covered my eyes, but she got lucky.

Otherwise, haven't seen anything too dicey.

What I have seen, however, are a surprising number of people coming downtown just to ride the scooters. Was in the office last weekend and counted probably 30 or 40 people (families and millenials) on the streets riding. Might not sound like much, but compared to what a weekend on the Northbank usually looks like, it was a very positive change.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #133 on: March 12, 2021, 09:15:26 PM »
^ Interestingly, whenever I have been on a Caribbean cruise, the cruise staff almost always advises passengers during their travel talks about ports of call to NOT rent motor bikes/scooters due to how dangerous they are in traffic.  I am not convinced Jax drivers are much better than our Caribbean brethren.  Will be interesting to see the reaction when the first person gets seriously injured (or worse).

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #134 on: March 12, 2021, 10:48:52 PM »
What I have seen, however, are a surprising number of people coming downtown just to ride the scooters. Was in the office last weekend and counted probably 30 or 40 people (families and millenials) on the streets riding. Might not sound like much, but compared to what a weekend on the Northbank usually looks like, it was a very positive change.

I noticed this in Uptown Charlotte a year or two ago. They attracted their own crowd of people on the weekends.