Author Topic: Bike Share Program Proposed for Jacksonville  (Read 3382 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Bike Share Program Proposed for Jacksonville
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2018, 08:14:19 PM »
^I believe coverage will be up to the operator to decide. I don't believe anyone would have responded if Skyway stations were the only location they could place bikes. As I've said before, let's let things play out. At this point, we don't even know what each operator is proposing.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Kerry

« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2018, 09:07:21 PM »
^I believe coverage will be up to the operator to decide. I don't believe anyone would have responded if Skyway stations were the only location they could place bikes. As I've said before, let's let things play out. At this point, we don't even know what each operator is proposing.

Directly from the RFP

The business model should demonstrate how the proposer can meet the immediate provision of facilities at the Skyway stations and how future suburban mobility hub facilities could be provided. The business model should provide for a system in which the operating costs do not exceed its funding source. It is the intention of the JTA to not provide any funding other than the property upon which to locate bike sharing facilities.

That doesn't leave a lot of room for misinterpretation.
Third Place

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2018, 09:57:24 PM »

Directly from the RFP

The business model should demonstrate how the proposer can meet the immediate provision of facilities at the Skyway stations and how future suburban mobility hub facilities could be provided. The business model should provide for a system in which the operating costs do not exceed its funding source. It is the intention of the JTA to not provide any funding other than the property upon which to locate bike sharing facilities.

We must be reading something different. It basically says there needs to be bikes at the Skyway stations. It says nothing about anywhere else.

Jagsdrew

« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2018, 10:37:54 PM »
Some neighbors complained that they took street parking away on Hendricks but they lost the good fight in favor of bike lanes.  Logically, a lot of side roads into neighborhoods can accommodate those parking issues.

Off topic, but I was kinda disappointed about this. A couple things:

- On Street Parking can reduce speeds. Obviously not when there are zero parked cars like parts of San Jose, but it makes a difference in places where parking is used.
 - For those that live on Hendricks, they bought their house with on street parking available. Now it's gone. For those that live mid-block, a guest at their house now has to park on a side street and walk half a block to their house? I'm not going to make it like a half a block is a crazy distance, but certainly less desirable than in front of their house (when they bought their house)

They did add back parking in a few places in the commercial areas - that would have been a mess for places like Metro Diner which has relied on on-street parking forever.

Am I the only one that thinks that taking parking away for bikes is sort of like something really nice to have for something that in places is a need? Hendricks Ave north of the San Marco split went through a tough stretch when they got rid of on-street parking.

Maybe I'm just not a fan of bike lanes. Bikes in an urban area sure and when you can fit the bike lane in, fine. Bur forcing it in on an existing street at the expense of something else? Not ideal to me.

There are two big bike groups that bike up and down San Jose/Hendricks at least once if not twice a week. You’ll see a lot of utilization of those bike lanes. Im no road biker by any means but I think this will be very much appreciated by biking community once completed.

I wish the city enhanced this in Riverside and other urban neighborhoods
Twitter: @Jagsdrew

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2018, 11:36:13 PM »

Directly from the RFP

Yeah, it’s not saying the stations can only be at Skyway stations. We’ll see what the proposals come up with shortly; in the meantime it’s just speculation.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Kerry

« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2018, 07:40:20 AM »
You are right, it doesn't explicitly say "Thou shalt not place any hubs outside the skyway stations", but the RFP clearly says that the immediate provision is for skyway-only hubs and any other are for possible future phases.

The business model should demonstrate how the proposer can meet the immediate provision of facilities at the Skyway stations and how future suburban mobility hub facilities could be provided.

So what happens if one of the companies proposes a systems outside of these requirements?  I guess that all depends on if they are going use City land or private property for their non-JTA approved locations and if they secure that usage prior to submitting their proposal.
Third Place

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2018, 07:59:14 AM »
Where did you pull Skyway "Only" hubs from that paragraph?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2018, 08:30:07 AM »
Where did you pull Skyway "Only" hubs from that paragraph?

It doesn't.

Here's a thought, how about we wait to see what's proposed? Either Kerry is right and can say "I told you so", or he's wrong, and will have to find something different to criticize.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2018, 08:43:33 AM »
Yeah, that's what I've been saying the entire thread. Let's let things play out before jumping on these guys backs.

Kerry

« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2018, 10:48:43 AM »
Does anyone know the time frame JTA is looking at other than they expect to hear proposals on Nov 20?

Never mind - looked it up at JTA.  We should know soon enough what they decide.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 11:01:12 AM by Kerry »
Third Place

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2018, 01:07:20 PM »
Some neighbors complained that they took street parking away on Hendricks but they lost the good fight in favor of bike lanes.  Logically, a lot of side roads into neighborhoods can accommodate those parking issues.

Off topic, but I was kinda disappointed about this. A couple things:

- On Street Parking can reduce speeds. Obviously not when there are zero parked cars like parts of San Jose, but it makes a difference in places where parking is used.
 - For those that live on Hendricks, they bought their house with on street parking available. Now it's gone. For those that live mid-block, a guest at their house now has to park on a side street and walk half a block to their house? I'm not going to make it like a half a block is a crazy distance, but certainly less desirable than in front of their house (when they bought their house)

They did add back parking in a few places in the commercial areas - that would have been a mess for places like Metro Diner which has relied on on-street parking forever.

Am I the only one that thinks that taking parking away for bikes is sort of like something really nice to have for something that in places is a need? Hendricks Ave north of the San Marco split went through a tough stretch when they got rid of on-street parking.

Maybe I'm just not a fan of bike lanes. Bikes in an urban area sure and when you can fit the bike lane in, fine. Bur forcing it in on an existing street at the expense of something else? Not ideal to me.

There are two big bike groups that bike up and down San Jose/Hendricks at least once if not twice a week. You’ll see a lot of utilization of those bike lanes. Im no road biker by any means but I think this will be very much appreciated by biking community once completed.

I wish the city enhanced this in Riverside and other urban neighborhoods

That's actually the problem - the large bike groups don't fit in the lanes anyway.

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2018, 12:57:43 AM »
Yeah, that's what I've been saying the entire thread. Let's let things play out before jumping on these guys backs.

You should take your own advice sometimes

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2018, 01:10:24 AM »
Lol, I do....all the time. But I'm not a kool aid drinker. I will call things out that go against the norm and that are historically prone to failure, no matter how pretty and slick the renderings may be ;-)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2018, 07:01:53 PM »

KenFSU

« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2018, 07:58:22 PM »
In Manhattan for a couple of days for work and can't help but notice the Citi Bike explosion (NYC's docked bikeshare). Asked a couple of people near a station what they thought of it, and interestingly, their common complaint wasn't that it was hard to find a bike at a dock, but rather, it was hard to return a bike to the dock. One guy mentioned that it wasn't uncommon to bike 15 minutes out of his way to find a dock that wasn't full. Apparently the thousands of "bike angels" are constantly moving bikes from more remote stations to more popular stations throughout the day for credits, resulting in constantly full docks. And if you don't return to a dock, you can get hit with a $1000 fee.