Author Topic: Main Street Bridge Question  (Read 960 times)

tufsu1

Re: Main Street Bridge Question
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2018, 12:20:07 PM »
I have another Main Street Bridge question, myself. Why is it seeming always closed, or reduced to two lanes? If we closed it for 6 months one time and fixed the dang thing, could we avoid some of this ongoing nonsense? I have to think visitors being able to predictably get into and out of downtown would have a positive impact on long-term development.

Walked across the Main Street Bridge about 4AM this morning and the north bound lanes were down to one - with narry a construction worker in sight....so good question.

They are replacing the concrete barrier at the north end of the bridge on Ocean Street - they set forms the other day and poured concrete last night

KenFSU

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2018, 10:03:00 AM »
Anyone have any idea why the Main Street Bridge was closed during rush hour this morning?

Traffic backed up for a mile, no warnings, just one solitary police officer forcing three lanes of traffic to u-turn and merge into a single lane off the bridge.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2018, 10:12:22 AM »
Anyone have any idea why the Main Street Bridge was closed during rush hour this morning?

Traffic backed up for a mile, no warnings, just one solitary police officer forcing three lanes of traffic to u-turn and merge into a single lane off the bridge.

“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

KenFSU

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2018, 10:17:58 AM »

Well played, Adam :D

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2018, 10:19:17 AM »
Thanks. I'm here all week!
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

KenFSU

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2018, 10:19:29 AM »
P.S. Florida 511 says it's maintenance.

Weird time for maintenance.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2018, 10:26:34 AM »
I got stuck in it too.  It's ridiculous.  I expect in the near future we'll see a serious closure.

KenFSU

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2018, 10:47:54 AM »
So, from the sounds of it, here's what happened:

1) They opened the bridge up at around 5:00 AM this morning for a boat, and when the bridge went back down, they couldn't get the crossing arms to go back up. The bridge was closed for over an hour while they fixed the problem.

2) Around 8:45 AM, they opened the bridge again, during rush hour traffic, to let a boat through. The arms got stuck again, and they re-closed the bridge to work on the arms.

Easy solution: Don't open the bridge during rush hour unless it's a military or police emergency.

jax_hwy_engineer

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2018, 12:58:03 PM »
As somebody else posted earlier, there's already legalese in place to prevent its opening. Not sure if that constitutes a complaint to a regulatory board or not, reckon we'd need some documentation to really build a case. Doesn't bother me too much, there's two other bridges across the river that never open, and I love the Main Street bridge, I think it's iconic and a cool historical landmark. I do understand y'all's complaints, though.

Just imagine what it was like when the Acosta was a draw and was the ONLY crossing in Jax!

KenFSU

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2018, 01:59:00 PM »
As somebody else posted earlier, there's already legalese in place to prevent its opening. Not sure if that constitutes a complaint to a regulatory board or not, reckon we'd need some documentation to really build a case. Doesn't bother me too much, there's two other bridges across the river that never open, and I love the Main Street bridge, I think it's iconic and a cool historical landmark. I do understand y'all's complaints, though.

Just imagine what it was like when the Acosta was a draw and was the ONLY crossing in Jax!

Don't get me wrong, love the bridge, it's one of our coolest assets, never want to see it go away or be replaced with a higher-span.

I just can't fathom what type of entitled seaman fancies himself important enough to necessitate bringing traffic into and out of the central business district to a screeching halt for 10-20 minutes during rush hour.

That seaman is no friend of mine.