Author Topic: Spirit Animal Beer and Wine Bar Coming to Five Points  (Read 467 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Spirit Animal Beer and Wine Bar Coming to Five Points
« on: October 09, 2018, 08:11:32 AM »

The sibling entrepreneurs behind Grassroots Natural Market want the old house at the corner of Forbes and Margaret Streets to be your Spirit Animal - or at least your new spot for craft beer, wine, and pie. And they just might reshape a back street of Five Points for the better.

Full article: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/spirit-animal-beer-and-wine-bar-coming-to-five-points/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Live_Oak

Re: Spirit Animal Beer and Wine Bar Coming to Five Points
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 08:34:52 AM »
Interesting that the Planning Staff recommended denial based on not enough parking and being too close to residential neighbors. Since it is west of Margaret St it is not in the "urban transition zone" and doesn't get reductions in parking requirements.

Planning commission approved it anyway.

I like it, I just wonder what the commission's thinking was.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 09:37:59 AM »
Interesting that the Planning Staff recommended denial based on not enough parking and being too close to residential neighbors. Since it is west of Margaret St it is not in the "urban transition zone" and doesn't get reductions in parking requirements.

You are correct that the UTA begins on the other side of Margaret, but both of these properties shown below are zoned CCG-1. There is actually a parking lot between the yellow house and the residential unit to the right in this picture. and a parking lot behind both buildings.

I think the Planning Commission correctly identified that the applicant was opening a business within an inline retail center that has its own parking on site. The green house, yellow house, the building that includes Grassroots and Hovan and another building across the alleyway from Grassroots along Post Street are essentially all one big shopping center. In that respect, its no different than Peter Sleiman's strip mall across the street that includes Community First Credit Union and several restaurants. The main difference between the Grassroots/Spirit Animal property (that shares parking) and the Sleiman strip mall (that shares parking and also includes on-street parking along Margaret)... is that the Grassroots retail center is more context sensitive to the neighborhood. Instead of a bland, stucco building... the 'pad sites' on the Grassroots retail center include old Crafstman cottages. When you combine on street parking that will go along Forbes/Margaret with the existing parking lot in the middle of the Grassroots retail center... you essentially meet the parking requirement with only a small variance.  I think that's a reasonable variance to approve, once you wrap your head around what the entirety of the site actually is.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 09:42:56 AM by fieldafm »

wanderson91

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 09:56:17 AM »
This is a terrible name for a bar, my goodness

Captain Zissou

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 11:24:13 AM »
This is exciting news.  James is great and has always kept a great beer program at Grass Roots.  I'm very excited about the commercial district spreading out from park street.  Jacksonville has a number of linear commercial areas, but usually they do not spread beyond the main strip.

jax_hwy_engineer

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 12:04:55 PM »
This is a terrible name for a bar, my goodness

I have faith that it'll be a cool venue, as Grasroots is a fantastic store with an even better beer selection, but I agree with this point.

Plus, you gotta be careful with cultural appropriation nowadays!  ;D

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 02:23:36 PM »

You are correct that the UTA begins on the other side of Margaret, but both of these properties shown below are zoned CCG-1. There is actually a parking lot between the yellow house and the residential unit to the right in this picture. and a parking lot behind both buildings.

I think the Planning Commission correctly identified that the applicant was opening a business within an inline retail center that has its own parking on site. The green house, yellow house, the building that includes Grassroots and Hovan and another building across the alleyway from Grassroots along Post Street are essentially all one big shopping center. In that respect, its no different than Peter Sleiman's strip mall across the street that includes Community First Credit Union and several restaurants. The main difference between the Grassroots/Spirit Animal property (that shares parking) and the Sleiman strip mall (that shares parking and also includes on-street parking along Margaret)... is that the Grassroots retail center is more context sensitive to the neighborhood. Instead of a bland, stucco building... the 'pad sites' on the Grassroots retail center include old Crafstman cottages. When you combine on street parking that will go along Forbes/Margaret with the existing parking lot in the middle of the Grassroots retail center... you essentially meet the parking requirement with only a small variance.  I think that's a reasonable variance to approve, once you wrap your head around what the entirety of the site actually is.

Agreed. IMO, if the city (or whoever) didn't want this to become a retail site, they shouldn't have zoned it that way. Since it has CCG-1 zoning - and shares parking with the commercial building that Grassroots and Hovan are in - this exemption is definitely fair. No one would think twice about the exact same business opening up in the strip mall.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?