Author Topic: Deficit already doubles under Trump  (Read 1517 times)

I-10east

Re: Deficit already doubles under Trump
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2018, 11:08:54 AM »
The site factcheck.org (who call itself non partisan, link below) has a generally very rosy depiction of Obama's presidency overall (some info I would definitely question) stated concerning the debt "The federal debt owed to the public rose 128 percent. Deficits were rising as Obama departed". So to say that Obama left this ultra low deficit, and then the evil Trump gets in there and the deficit suddenly skyrockets all because of him is complete hogwash.

It's funny that Obama tried to claim the booming Trump economy (even though his unfriendly business policies did not correlate). Do he get to claim this deficit also?? It can't be both ways, that's all that I'm saying. Consumer confidence, US manufacturing, and jobs has risen dramatically under this current administration, that cannot be denied.

https://www.factcheck.org/2017/09/obamas-final-numbers/
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 01:32:36 AM by I-10east »

vicupstate

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2018, 12:38:04 PM »
The site factcheck.org (who call itself non partisan, link below) has a generally very rosy depiction of Obama's presidency overall (some info I would definitely question) stated concerning the debt "The federal debt owed to the public rose 128 percent. Deficits were rising as Obama departed". So to say that Obama left this ultra low deficit, and then the evil Trump gets in there and the deficit suddenly skyrockets all because of him is complete hogwash.

It's funny the Obama tried to claim the booming Trump economy (even though his unfriendly business policies did not correlate). Do he get to claim this deficit also?? It can't be both ways, that's all that I'm saying. Consumer confidence, US manufacturing, and jobs his risen dramatically under this current administration, that cannot be denied.

https://www.factcheck.org/2017/09/obamas-final-numbers/

You might want to check your own link. Profits increased dramatically under Obama, as your link shows, despite the 'unfriendly business policies' you complain about.  While deficits increased in Obama's last two years, it fell each of the prior six years.

U.S. Manufacturing has risen steadily every year since 2010. It is not a new phenomenon.

https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/CES3000000001

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

DrQue

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2018, 01:02:24 PM »
Further increasing budget deficits this far along in the economic cycle is not very prudent in and of itself. We're also doing this in a rising interest rate environment, so it is going to cost more to service the higher debt loads.

sanmarcomatt

• Mayor of The Coffee District
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2018, 01:32:53 PM »
I came upon this test question and I thought it was relevant.

The act of assigning blame for the deficit to specific presidents or administrations without considering other factors is due to:

A. People are just blindly partisan
B. People are dumb as rocks
C. Who the F@!K cares?
D. A and B are correct
E. A,B and C are correct.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2018, 04:37:54 PM »
C
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2018, 09:04:04 PM »

The act of assigning blame for the deficit to specific presidents or administrations without considering other factors is due to:

I get that the 50k foot view doesn't have all the details but it has trouble lying as well.  You can go back with the pattern of the deficit shrinking under Democrat Administrations and growing under Republicans Administrations at least 50 years.  I suspect there is more than coincidence at play.  At the very least the idea that a GOP Presidents can claim to be more fiscally responsible than Democrats (or at all) is flawed.

I still find it hard to believe it came down to 1.5% of GDP by the end of Obama's run. If we had put some strings on the bail out money for the banks we might have made it all the way to surplus.
"If it was that bad she would have reported it" Donald Trump

MusicMan

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2018, 09:09:55 PM »
The problem with our deficit is that it has not bought anything. If our roads, bridges, damns, airports and other large infrastructures were in great shape I would mind a lot less. Unfortunately they are not. The money has been spent on unnecessary tax cuts for super wealthy corporations and people, pointless wars, a bloated military. 

In the not too distant past we were running surpluses and paying down the debt. And in fact the economy was doing pretty well at this time. It was a result of bipartisan work in the late 1990's.

Bush ("W") came in and threw all that out the window.  Another reason for concern is that while the economy is supposedly doing well, we are not using these "good times" to pay down the debt.  Most responsible people set aside funds for a "rainy day." As a nation we should be doing just that, taking advantage of the boom times to pay down the debt. We are doing the opposite, and any reasonable person should conclude that is a cause for concern.

The term "deficit hawk" is exclusively a Republican term, and describes so called fiscal conservatives who rail against excess spending. You will also notice you only hear from them when Democrats are in office. (Former) Speaker of the House  Paul Ryan is a perfect example.

sanmarcomatt

• Mayor of The Coffee District
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2018, 09:23:09 PM »
E

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2018, 09:41:05 PM »
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2018, 09:32:17 AM »
My point is that I believe Republican voters care about deficits and by in large GOP politicians don’t. I think lots of people vote single issue abortion , climate change and immigration come to mind. However I am just wondering how the GOP wins on this issue.  ( IMO they do) I think Matt makes a good point on the what the money is spent on may be more of f a factor and conservatives say debt but mean something else. I also think  bit of wishful thinking about tax cuts and the belief in markets in general tend to out weigh the evidence. I should say those are not long held beliefs but where this examination I have been pondering is leading me.  Now obviously you are correct that right now more people vote party over everything else. Do yo think the GOP wins on this issue BT and if so why?

Clearly no one is "winning" on the issue.  GOP pols pay lip service to the deficit issue and Dem pols don't care at all about it or believe it can simply be overcome by "taxing the rich" which plays to their base but has its own flavor of warts.  The parties are irreparably broken and I have little faith in any of the clowns we elect...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2018, 01:29:35 PM »

We've known this would happen for years.  Not because of the yammers of tribal ideologues blaming so-n-so but because huge spending increases are back in the federal system via Social Security and Medicare.   This isn't about politics, it's about reality.   

The bipartisan Policy Center - and every other economist and think tank - has been talking about this forever.  Long ago they were project that in these years with the baby boomers retiring in droves  -- as we quickly approach the single biggest generation having more people retired than working --- that we would see Federal deficits and, worse, Federal debt explode.

The finger pointing is knuckle-dragging tribalism that's about as constructive as siblings trying to blame each other for farting.   

https://bipartisanpolicy.org/blog/cbo-issues-stark-warning-deficits/

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2018, 08:27:12 AM »
This was the corporate tax scam passed last year.
"If it was that bad she would have reported it" Donald Trump

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2018, 10:31:47 AM »
All you need to know...  8)  This breaks down your wages and where your tax dollars go...

https://www.wheredomytaxesgo.co/
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."