Author Topic: First Renders of Hyatt Place on Independent Drive  (Read 2414 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: First Renders of Hyatt Place on Independent Drive
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 02:38:44 PM »
Looks better then the courthouse site proposal.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Jagsdrew

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 03:16:04 PM »
At first glance, it does a very good job at maximizing the corner.  Would love to see some street level retail at the corner there. Looks like a perfect spot for Starbucks(Sorry I said that lol)
Twitter: @Jagsdrew

jaxnyc79

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 03:26:57 PM »
At first glance, it does a very good job at maximizing the corner.  Would love to see some street level retail at the corner there. Looks like a perfect spot for Starbucks(Sorry I said that lol)

The landing issue really shouldn't be allowed to linger.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 04:21:50 PM »
If I'm Sleiman, I'd accept that the building isn't going anywhere, clean it up and revamp it with a new tenant mix (with stuff like a food hall, event space, etc.) to grab that market niche before the Khan and the jags get subsidized by the city to do it at the Landing's expense. It's in the center of downtown and there's 100s of hotel rooms planned within two blocks of it. Might as well do something that appeals to the existing workforce, residents and hotel guests that will be in the immediate vicinity.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 04:23:47 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 04:53:55 PM »
Looks like a great use of a somewhat odd space.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

ralpho37

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 06:26:59 PM »
Nice looking building actually. Just wish it was two or three times as tall!

jaxnyc79

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 07:41:56 PM »
Looks like a great use of a somewhat odd space.

It's actually far better-looking and with more design flair than any hotel downtown, and perhaps any hotel in the city.

icarus

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 11:22:07 PM »
If I'm Sleiman, I'd accept that the building isn't going anywhere, clean it up and revamp it with a new tenant mix (with stuff like a food hall, event space, etc.) to grab that market niche before the Khan and the jags get subsidized by the city to do it at the Landing's expense. It's in the center of downtown and there's 100s of hotel rooms planned within two blocks of it. Might as well do something that appeals to the existing workforce, residents and hotel guests that will be in the immediate vicinity.

At some point, the relative momentum of growth in nearby areas will render the landing even more of a white elephant.  It could eventually make a good location for Khan's 4 Seasons Hotel.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 11:47:47 PM »
How so? More people and density in the immediate vicinity is the core solution to its market issues.

Kerry

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 07:33:17 PM »
If this keeps up I might have to start rethinking my opinion of Jax.
Third Place

Kiva

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 07:56:06 PM »
Seems like a great use of an oddly shaped area.

KenFSU

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2018, 08:03:03 PM »
Seems like a great use of an oddly shaped area.

MusicMan

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2018, 08:51:42 AM »
The Landing WAS a perfect place for a Starbucks. It brought people in the door...... well at least near the building.  I've said it many times on here so I'll repeat it, Sleiman should put a killer Starbucks inside The Landing and on the water, with a nice terrace and view. That's the first step in fixing The Landing.  Starbucks is a well established International vendor that draws locals, tourists, and professional visitors alike. It's a true no-brainer.  It takes up a small footprint but brings in tons of foot traffic. Exactly what The Landing needs.

Once people staying at The Omni and The Hyatt and this new place find out there's a Starbucks at The Landing the ones who like the products will make a bee line for it.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2018, 11:32:46 AM »
When it comes to Lot J and the Landing, the cluster is taking place around the Landing. Omni and Hyatt were already there. Now add the Courtyard by Marriott (Laura Trio), Hotel Indigo and this Hyatt Place, and that's quite a few hotel rooms within a two to three block walk radius of the Landing, not to mention the thousands of office workers there now. Politics aside, anyone in the urban development world with half a brain will tell you now is the time to do whatever you're going to do with the Landing to really energize that compact section of the core in the heart of the city.

Anyway, even with the politics, simply forgetting about full demo and rebuild and working with what we already have there is a sound approach....at least for Sleiman since he owns the buildings. Give the place a bath and change up the tenant mix. Jump on the trends and watch how clustering, complementing uses within a compact pedestrian scale setting works regardless of how much incentive money is tossed a mile away.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 11:35:28 AM by thelakelander »