Author Topic: Mini Arts District Proposed for Downtown  (Read 2245 times)

Tacachale

• Administrator
Re: Mini Arts District Proposed for Downtown
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 12:26:06 PM »
Nod to the Huguenots?

That's the ticket. La Rue de Laudonierre
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Bill Hoff

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2018, 12:46:09 PM »
Seems to be emulating the Phoenix Arts District, in Springfield.

Art district wars?

MusicMan

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2018, 06:10:26 PM »
Pretty sure Rue St Marc is still a restaurant in San Marco with a hint of French cuisine, correct?  I mean  Hoptinger  is about as Bavarian as First Baptist Church.  Folks still go. 

The Landing.  No one lands there.       

This is actually one of the better ideas for downtown. Very little start up costs and it also plays off the 'murals'  toward the river (not sure what block that is.)   Last time I checked (today) the Burro bar space was still vacant.   Artists always need an affordable space to lease and show their work. Ultimately this can provide that space.  And it's not too far a walk to some of the other interesting blocks downtown.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2018, 06:33:25 PM »
Pretty sure Rue St Marc is still a restaurant in San Marco with a hint of French cuisine, correct?  I mean  Hoptinger  is about as Bavarian as First Baptist Church.  Folks still go. 

The Landing.  No one lands there.       

Clever. Methinks you missed my point, but since you brought it up...

Rue St Marc bills its food as "French".

Is Hoptinger meant to be a Bavarian word? I don't speak the language, but I'd be shocked to learn it was.

There are places to dock a boat at the landing. So...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 06:40:27 PM by Adam White »
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

MusicMan

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2018, 08:26:20 AM »
Here's one we can both agree on:

Hooter's

JaxJersey-licious

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2018, 07:35:59 AM »
No problem. It's a pretty interesting proposal. It does sit on one of the properties JEA is considering but it appears they're being wooed by the Khan and Atkins mixed-use proposals further east of this location.

Interesting indeed that you have this prime development-ready location actively being marketed for over a decade now suddenly have these ambitious plans for artist at streetscape improvements just when interest is heating up on this plot of land finally being developed. The concept of reusing old construction trailers for this purpose is not new so why is there a sudden interest to take this on now? And there is no shortage of organizations and individuals in the area promoting art development in the city, so where did this mysterious Metropolis arts group come from? Who are these unnamed partners with these splashy plans from out of the blue? Do they have a track record of any other projects of this scope? Were they actively raising money in any noticeable way? How are they being bankrolled? This to me would be the perfect blueprint for a land developer to squash competition.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2018, 07:51:39 AM »
Interesting indeed that you have this prime development-ready location actively being marketed for over a decade now

Just to clarify, as this is an important point.... this is the site where the City (unnecessarily) tore down a building just to use as a staging area for the Courthouse construction. This site has NOT been marketed for sale since then. This is one of the many properties COJ owns downtown that sit empty without any real effort to be brought back into the private marketplace.

MusicMan

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2018, 09:23:45 AM »
More details will be made public very soon. The developer is a Jacksonville resident who sits on one of the downtown review boards, and who has made many proposals for abandoned and empty buildings and parcels in Jax. Also owns a half block of downtown property plus a half acre with a warehouse on it near the Cathedral District. Not a stranger....  Also please note the proposal is for a 2 year lease in order to test the feasibility of the project. Since the trailers are mobile, the project could be relocated to another parcel if the idea works or left in place. The parcel is big enough to allow more build out in the near future.

JaxJersey-licious

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2018, 10:06:22 AM »

Just to clarify, as this is an important point.... this is the site where the City (unnecessarily) tore down a building just to use as a staging area for the Courthouse construction. This site has NOT been marketed for sale since then. This is one of the many properties COJ owns downtown that sit empty without any real effort to be brought back into the private marketplace.

Fair enough but I was under the impression that the city hoped the new courthouse would attract all kinds of office/commercial/residential development synergy and why the city would hold on to that unutilized parcel for so long - well that's the city for you I guess.

To be clear, I'm totally in support for this type of project and that it gets some public momentum behind this. It's just the timing seems suspect.

RattlerGator

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2018, 11:39:29 AM »
Of course, I'm the one who came up with the name "The Jaxson" which is, shall we say, not universally liked.

Really? Damn good suggestion.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2018, 09:49:15 PM »
Of course, I'm the one who came up with the name "The Jaxson" which is, shall we say, not universally liked.

Thanks RG and Adam! I like to think it’s fitting, but it’s one of those things where we get comments with some regularity along the lines of “Jaxson is a name for people from Jacksonville? I’ve lived here for 1200 years and I’ve never heard that!” It definitely goes to show that not everyone will like your name, and you’ve just got to hope your product is good enough to rise above it!
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

KenFSU

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2018, 11:09:37 PM »

Thanks RG and Adam! I like to think it’s fitting, but it’s one of those things where we get comments with some regularity along the lines of “Jaxson is a name for people from Jacksonville? I’ve lived here for 1200 years and I’ve never heard that!” It definitely goes to show that not everyone will like your name, and you’ve just got to hope your product is good enough to rise above it!

Everything sounds weird until it suddenly doesn't.

Google. Facebook. Spotify. Uber. Venmo. Publix.

Love the name!

MusicMan

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2018, 09:19:35 AM »
Devil is in the details, but I really like the concept.

In the very recent past, when a similar temporary concept was proposed along the Northbank Riverwalk near the TUPAC and along the Southbank Riverwalk near MOSH... the DIA squashed those efforts. Hope DIA is amenable to these kinds of things going forward. Maybe you just have to be the 'right person' to have your proposals looked upon more favorably.