Author Topic: Tampa’s Armature Works: A Lesson for the Landing?  (Read 476 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Tampa’s Armature Works: A Lesson for the Landing?
« on: August 13, 2018, 08:48:37 AM »

While Jacksonville struggles in its efforts to remake the Jacksonville Landing into a venue people want to go to, an old, long-abandoned warehouse in a neighborhood similar to Springfield, has been transformed into a food hall and Tampa’s latest foodie hot spot.

Full Article: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/tampas-armature-works-a-lesson-for-the-landing/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

JaxVision

Re: Tampa’s Armature Works: A Lesson for the Landing?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 10:04:57 AM »
The two great fits DT for a food hall are the greyhound station (which obviously won't happen) and the landing. Go in and do some renovation to make the layout smaller and more open to the streetscape / water and you have a great centrally located food hall.

When I travel to different cities I always try and look up the local food scene, food halls have made this easy and people travel just to visit them. Some of the  Food Halls I have visited are: LA the original farmers market & Grand Central Market DT, Boston Faneuil Hall (even they are building a new massive hall for 2019), Tampa of course with Armature, DC Union Market, NYC has several and the other one I have visited is Anaheims Packing District.

These spaces allow not only for local artisans to set up shop and be creative but it also allows for a place to gather. It is a destination for many people and in this millennial age it could thrive in Jax.

vicupstate

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 12:42:59 PM »
The two great fits DT for a food hall are the greyhound station (which obviously won't happen) and the landing. Go in and do some renovation to make the layout smaller and more open to the streetscape / water and you have a great centrally located food hall.

When I travel to different cities I always try and look up the local food scene, food halls have made this easy and people travel just to visit them. Some of the  Food Halls I have visited are: LA the original farmers market & Grand Central Market DT, Boston Faneuil Hall (even they are building a new massive hall for 2019), Tampa of course with Armature, DC Union Market, NYC has several and the other one I have visited is Anaheims Packing District.

These spaces allow not only for local artisans to set up shop and be creative but it also allows for a place to gather. It is a destination for many people and in this millennial age it could thrive in Jax.

The North Market in Columbus is another really good example.

I agree. The ONLY way that the Lot J/Cordish thing can happen AND the Landing still be a viable is for the Landing to do just as you describe.

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 08:06:04 PM »
A lesson for the Landing or a lesson for COJ and Sleiman?

martt12

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 06:52:53 AM »
I agree the food hall is the best option. I like the idea (as someone else described) of having more mixed use scattered around to make the Landing like it’s own district. Extending from the proposed McCoy creek to the shipyards in front of Maxwell right before Doro District with Berkman II and Dave & Busters included in the landing stretch. I also see the theater in Tampa. A theater included would be good as well to serve the new apartment & hotel residents.

vicupstate

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 08:35:03 AM »
A lesson for the Landing or a lesson for COJ and Sleiman?

All of the above. Ideally I would like to see the current Landing footprint reduced to just the upside down U. The 'wings' would be demolished. A food hall with a sundries shop would go into what remains of the building with a total renovation done but the superstructure left basically as is. It would essentially be opened up inside as much as possible. As has already been proposed, the JEA chiller line would cool the building to reduce the SF needed for building operations.

The space would be filed with almost exclusively LOCAL vendors and a full time farmer's market.  The upstairs would be a brewery and table service restaurants.  The Main Street on-ramp would be removed. The newly enlarged grounds would provide al fresca seating and great looking landscaping. Some spots would be grassed over for events with a long term option of putting an office or residential high-rise on the property. 

FL/Ga, Gator Bowl, etc. would move to the Cordish property which would have a sports orientation that the Landing would not directly compete with.     

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln