Author Topic: Greening of Main: A failure in the making?  (Read 5114 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Greening of Main: A failure in the making?
« on: March 16, 2007, 12:00:00 AM »
Greening of Main: A failure in the making?

They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions.  Well in this case, let's substitute the asphalt with a $700,000 patch of grass.   Today we'll introduce 10 things needed to create a successful urban public space and illustrate why the pocket park being constructed as a part of the Greening of Main project is destined for failure.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/362

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 07:09:43 AM »
Excellent article!  I really wish the powers that be would have put more thought into the idea of issuing an RFP for workforce housing and developing the site along with its neighbors.  Hemming Park/Plaza is a beautiful square (could use a little TLC) and shouldn't have to compete with another park 2 blocks away.  Also, actually developing would drag in more tax dollars versus costing the taxpayers money.

Who did those renderings?  They look fantastic!  ;-)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Competition with Hemming Plaza?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 07:50:09 AM »
The comment about Hemming is an important one.  Even if this park became full of people, it would be to detriment of Hemming Plaza, which goes against the concept of compact urban planning.  Downtown needs places that draw and contain a number of people within a compact setting.  Diffusing pedestrian traffic does little to create the needed synergy to make a vibrant street scene.

As for the renderings, word on the street is they come from a talented guy named Jason, over at MetJax.  Based off of some of his work, maybe the JEDC should give him a call, instead of relying on the same old stale blood.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Jason

• Global Moderator
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 07:53:18 AM »
Right, I'd rather see Hemming Packed on a regular basis than both parks half empty.

L

Actually....
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 08:02:30 AM »
Did you guys ever consider that there is more going on here than you might first assume. What if the park is being purposely designed as a new congregating spot for the homeless in hopes of keeping them out of hemming plaza? It's possible that the city may have different ordinances in place at the two parks in order to help bring this about. Also the proximity to the Salvation Army works into this. Then you can keep homeless out of Hemming and please the local business owners around the city center. Just a thought.

Steve

• The Jaxson
L
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 08:07:49 AM »
There are better ways to do this than to spend 700K on a park, however.

Are you saying that the only way to keep the homeless at bay in Hemming is to build a "Homeless Park"?

David K.

Oh, the homeless...
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 08:27:36 AM »
We already have a "homeless park"....it's called La Villa.  Can't say as I blame them...pretty nice benches over there.

JB

Organize!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 08:29:40 AM »
Is there an organization for 'urbanites'?  For a while now I have been following downtown issues from afar and have come to the conclusion that the writers of these articles and the commenters have the right ideas.  However, one united voice is a lot louder and more organized than 100's of individual voices.  Perhaps there is a citizens organization for the urban core?  If not there should be.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Response to L...
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 08:40:27 AM »
There is more, it just makes less sense as you dive deeper and deeper into this issue.  As for building a $700,000 park just for the homeless, that's a pretty bad idea, considering Main is one of the most heavily traveled streets in downtown.  They say a first impression is a lasting impression.  Imagine the blow downtown's image would take when suburbanities first trips into the core take them right past vagrant city.

If the image of homelessness and vagrants are truly a concern (and it should be), then the first move taken made on this site should have been getting Salvation Army off that block, which would also make it much easier to put together a dense mixed-use RFP for that parcel.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

downtownparks

MetroJacksonville is it!
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 08:45:16 AM »
You want a united voice? MetroJacksonville has been working tirelessly (and for free) to address the issues around downtown. If you want to help, get behind Metrojacksonville.

As always guys, GREAT job. I am proud of what you have become. A voice for downtown.

JB

Apology
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 09:26:43 AM »
I apologize for my apparent ignorance.  I, too, think MetroJacksonville is doing a great job.  I guess my question was better stated as... is there anyway to get the 'powers that be' to listen a little more carefully?  It appears as though all of these great ideas are only read and commented on by those that support the great ideas.  I have yet to see most of this uttered from the lips of the politicians and organizations that can help these things happen.

Jason

• Global Moderator
The city listens, sometimes
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 10:04:41 AM »
There are issues we have shampioned for that the city is biting off on.  

For example:
- Revamping the parking ordinances and installing smart meters
- Adding better signage and wayfinding to the core directing visitors to parking and points of interest
- The "Lighting Laura Street" proposal is soon to be implemented and will become the example to follow for the beautification and enhancement of other corridors throughout the core.

Johnny

Lake is right...
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 10:29:21 AM »
If it is to minimize the homeless front in Hemming, it's an even worse idea. I drive past that block every day to work and there is a lot of traffic with me. If I had to see the homeless on a larger scale, it would depress me. I'd probably move out to the suburbs to get away then. Great article, I still think the Park View Inn could be a good option for WF housing.

Told You So

Dead Plants, Weeds and Trash in the making
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 04:33:42 PM »
Take a good look at some or any of the parks in this town. The Mayor brags on the fact that we have the largest park system ( not true if you check with Tampa), but we have failed misserably at maintaining them. Give the park two years and we'll be funding concrete to pave back over the eyesore.

RDH

condition of parks
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 10:16:17 PM »
This money really should have gone into maintaining current parks. What a shame.