Author Topic: Atkins Wants More Urban Core Development  (Read 1101 times)

itsfantastic1

Re: Atkins Wants More Urban Core Development
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 12:25:24 PM »
I think the most positive thing to come from the article is this quote from Atkins:

"He said if JEA decides on a different location, the second phase of his urban renewal project would proceed regardless."

Just hopefully it doesn't run into as much delay as his Barnett/Trio project did.

jaxnyc79

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 02:39:30 PM »
I think the most positive thing to come from the article is this quote from Atkins:

"He said if JEA decides on a different location, the second phase of his urban renewal project would proceed regardless."

Just hopefully it doesn't run into as much delay as his Barnett/Trio project did.

His plans would really transform Main Street, and I love the idea of turning a corporate HQ project into a mixed-use development all in one fell swoop.  Why just build a corporate headquarters when you rebuild a neighborhood?   

edjax

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 04:40:20 PM »
Does he or any of his associates own any of this property he says he will be developing?

Lostwave

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 10:40:05 AM »
Does he or any of his associates own any of this property he says he will be developing?

Salvation Army, JEA and City own most of it.  Nearly half a block on Duval Street are owned by a company called 10 WEST ADAMS STREET L L C (5 parking lots)

There are two tiny parcels owned by other people.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 10:58:09 AM »
10 West Adams LLC is Farah and Farah. Generally amenable to any development downtown as long as makes financial sense.

Downtown Osprey

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 12:16:15 PM »
I hope Atkins gets this project. In my eyes, he's been a true pioneer in the recent DT development. While Khan has been flashing pretty renderings the past few years, this guy has overtaken one of the most important revitalization projects in my recent memory. (I'm still a Khan guy) but just sayin'.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 12:50:15 PM »
I hope Atkins gets this project. In my eyes, he's been a true pioneer in the recent DT development. While Khan has been flashing pretty renderings the past few years, this guy has overtaken one of the most important revitalization projects in my recent memory. (I'm still a Khan guy) but just sayin'.

I think you can be a Khan guy and an Atkins guy. If the entire Barnett/Trio project gets completed, Atkins needs to be up for some sort of sainthood. No one wanted to touch a project this difficult.

His Phase 2 isn't nearly as complex in terms of the historic rehab. I don't love the demo/replace of the Universal Marion building and he's got to prove the economics of the whole thing (and I'm not sure what his funding sources are), but I'm willing to listen.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 01:15:44 PM »
Yeah I don't understand the lack of value we place in the potential reuse of mid-century structures. Demo and rebuild seems like the preferred option. 40 years ago, we did the same with buildings of the Trio's era. Now they're being treasured. I have a feeling we'll be saying the same thing about the City Hall Annex and the Universal Marion complex in the future.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Charles Hunter

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 01:50:54 PM »
How old is the Universal Marion building?  Mid-60s would make it 50 years or more.  Is a 50yo building "historic"?

A great deal of the decision should revolve (heh, remember the Embers Restaurant?) around the comparison of the cost of bringing the UM up to current standards, including abating asbestos (assuming that is still required), against the cost of demo and new-build.

KenFSU

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 02:39:09 PM »
Yeah I don't understand the lack of value we place in the potential reuse of mid-century structures. Demo and rebuild seems like the preferred option. 40 years ago, we did the same with buildings of the Trio's era. Now they're being treasured. I have a feeling we'll be saying the same thing about the City Hall Annex and the Universal Marion complex in the future.

I'll throw this guy in too:

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 06:08:39 PM »
How old is the Universal Marion building?  Mid-60s would make it 50 years or more.  Is a 50yo building "historic"?

A great deal of the decision should revolve (heh, remember the Embers Restaurant?) around the comparison of the cost of bringing the UM up to current standards, including abating asbestos (assuming that is still required), against the cost of demo and new-build.

In the past, they said it was cheaper to revamp. However, that's not the sexy option in modern day Jacksonville. If you recall, many of us (including me) were in favor of demolishing the Haydon Burns Library too. Looking at how things turned out, I'm glad the structure was reused.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 06:09:37 PM »

I'll throw this guy in too:

Yes, this is another one! Could have been a cool mini food hall, urban market type thing.

jaxnyc79

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 06:19:40 PM »

In the past, they said it was cheaper to revamp. However, that's not the sexy option in modern day Jacksonville. If you recall, many of us (including me) were in favor of demolishing the Haydon Burns Library too. Looking at how things turned out, I'm glad the structure was reused.

I still favor demolishing Haydn Burns, but I agree that Greyhound could be an interesting reuse project.  For some reason, Haydn Burns feels off to me at street level.  Like the entire building feels walled off from the streetscape.  Feels like dead space.  I lived in Jax as a child and I recall hating it as a library as well.  By the way, can someone demolish the garage across Forsyth from Haydn Burns?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 06:26:23 PM by jaxnyc79 »

acme54321

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2018, 01:13:18 AM »
By the way, can someone demolish the garage across Forsyth from Haydn Burns?

Seriously