Author Topic: Convention Center Wars  (Read 15097 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Convention Center Wars
« Reply #240 on: November 17, 2018, 11:08:19 AM »
The 2014 study didn't mean much if it was framed in "new" convention center talk instead of moving the exhibition hall out of the old train station. We're already in the business. Been in it since 1985. The conversation and analysis needs to be reframed to Jax's reality vs the unachievable and unrealistic dreams. For the amount of subsidies being dished out to projects like Berkman and the District, we can figure out a viable solution that maximizes our existing investments.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 11:13:29 AM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

FlaBoy

« Reply #241 on: November 19, 2018, 01:15:03 PM »
With the indecision here now, is there anyway to push the pause button in demolishing the Annex building with its history and density?

Kerry

« Reply #242 on: November 19, 2018, 01:22:46 PM »
The side facing the river already has truck size holes in it.
Third Place

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #243 on: November 19, 2018, 01:32:10 PM »
Yeah, they're coming down. Whoever got that demo contract is getting their money whether it makes sense for the taxpayers or not.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

vicupstate

« Reply #244 on: November 20, 2018, 09:51:45 AM »
If you ask me, the only reason these buildings are coming down is because someone (Curry or Khan, most likely) think they are ugly.   
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Kerry

« Reply #245 on: November 20, 2018, 10:04:02 AM »
If you ask me, the only reason these buildings are coming down is because someone (Curry or Khan, most likely) think they are ugly.

Sadly, they are mentally stuck in 1970 thinking the best way to redevelop land is to clear it first.
Third Place

billy

« Reply #246 on: November 20, 2018, 12:18:20 PM »
Would the City listen to an offer from a viable buyer at this point?

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #247 on: November 20, 2018, 12:34:32 PM »

Likely yes, but someone with legit $$$ would need to act quickly.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #248 on: November 20, 2018, 01:58:56 PM »

Hasn't the demo contract been awarded?  Would have to figure a way around that, perhaps with this hypothetical deep pockets paying the contractor a bonus over the contract price?

billy

« Reply #249 on: November 20, 2018, 03:21:48 PM »
Didn’t the public spaces have terrazzo flooring?
The interior demo and prep have probably trashed that them.

minder

« Reply #250 on: November 20, 2018, 03:27:08 PM »
I definitely think a riverfront convention center in a district anchored by an NFL stadium makes it much more attractive than the current offering and to more than just small local gatherings. In addition, theres a lot of secondary attractions in that area. The arena, the baseball grounds, the fairgrounds, Daily's Place now.

Organic growth on its own is not enough and if the city wants to attract major events like Superbowls, College Football matches, potentially major conventions, and other events it needs to cater to visitors. There needs to be more hotel rooms and places to eat and drink, and additionally, its very important to me that the city keeps its only major sports team as I feel the Jaguars put the city on the map worldwide. I have no problem with public money contributing to this. How many areas of the size of Jacksonville have someone as wealthy as Khan willing to invest in it? I don't get the suspicion and paranoia over his intentions from some or the notion that if we get rid of a sports team suddenly there will be a big pot of money for the city to end poverty, crime and pot holes forever

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #251 on: November 20, 2018, 03:32:48 PM »

Hasn't the demo contract been awarded?  Would have to figure a way around that, perhaps with this hypothetical deep pockets paying the contractor a bonus over the contract price?

Yes the demo contract was awarded months ago. It's too late for them.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #252 on: November 20, 2018, 03:46:51 PM »
I definitely think a riverfront convention center in a district anchored by an NFL stadium makes it much more attractive than the current offering and to more than just small local gatherings. In addition, theres a lot of secondary attractions in that area. The arena, the baseball grounds, the fairgrounds, Daily's Place now.

Much of this "district" is a pipe dream that only exists in pretty renderings. The type of uses discussed aren't going to make a convention center stand out here moreso than any where else to the outside world. This is something we need to seriously consider before lighting public money on fire. Our convention center issue doesn't need to be a multi-billion dollar fleecing of public funds. We can do a lot more with that type of money being invested elsewhere.

Organic growth on its own is not enough and if the city wants to attract major events like Superbowls, College Football matches, potentially major conventions, and other events it needs to cater to visitors. There needs to be more hotel rooms and places to eat and drink, and additionally, its very important to me that the city keeps its only major sports team as I feel the Jaguars put the city on the map worldwide.

These things are happening right now. Hyatt Place, Hotel Indigo, Courtyard by Marriott, Residence Inn by Marriott, Ambassador Hotel, etc. are all real projects taking place right now that will add hotel rooms and places to eat and drink.....all over a mile east of the stadium. If we really want to take advantage of that organic growth, we'd make major public investments within walking distance of them to kick the synergy into overdrive. Right now, it appears we're creating a situation where downtown subdistricts are competing for the same things as opposed to complementing each other, which will ultimately hurt the entire area.

I have no problem with public money contributing to this. How many areas of the size of Jacksonville have someone as wealthy as Khan willing to invest in it? I don't get the suspicion and paranoia over his intentions from some or the notion that if we get rid of a sports team suddenly there will be a big pot of money for the city to end poverty, crime and pot holes forever.

I don't have a problem investing public money on projects that make sense for the taxpayer. I'm actually glad Khan is here. However, that doesn't mean I'd be willing to hand over money to him just because he is who he is. If he's asking for public dollars, his feet need to be held to fire just like any other developer would.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #253 on: November 20, 2018, 04:00:08 PM »
Sorry, I missed this line....

Organic growth on its own is not enough and if the city wants to attract major events like Superbowls, College Football matches, potentially major conventions, and other events it needs to cater to visitors. There needs to be more hotel rooms and places to eat and drink, and additionally, its very important to me that the city keeps its only major sports team as I feel the Jaguars put the city on the map worldwide. I have no problem with public money contributing to this. How many areas of the size of Jacksonville have someone as wealthy as Khan willing to invest in it? I don't get the suspicion and paranoia over his intentions from some or the notion that if we get rid of a sports team suddenly there will be a big pot of money for the city to end poverty, crime and pot holes forever.

If fear of the Jags leaving town becomes the primary driver of how we invest in downtown, the area is screwed. Even a prostitute has boundaries. Is there a point where we'd say no?

minder

« Reply #254 on: November 20, 2018, 05:17:03 PM »
They may be a pipedream at the moment because of mere renderings, but I'm in the midwest and can visibly see the benefit that these Cordish major venue anchored projects have had in downtown KC/STL, and infact have moved into the latter phases. These were places that since suburban flight have severely suffered but are now alive with activity on a regular basis. The Cowboys and the Rangers also have a joint project between their stadiums in Arlington. If its good enough for them its good enough for Jacksonville in my eyes. I don't see what development would take place in that part of Downtown without the Jags. The shipyards have laid empty for years with prime riverfront space, we've got half built abandoned condos as well. Khan is the first man with the pockets and the intent to make stuff seriously happen in that area of town and has my full support, because as a small market NFL team, the organisation can't just rely on 10 games a year to make money.