Author Topic: Convention Center Wars  (Read 13055 times)

Kerry

Re: Convention Center Wars
« Reply #180 on: October 25, 2018, 09:51:57 AM »
You might want to read it again.  The main exhibit hall is 200,000 sq feet.  Then on top of that are 2 more floors containing 45,000 sq feet of event space each.  Total of 290,000 sq feet.  The 4th floor has an additional 30,000 sq ft ballroom and 10,000 sq ft outside patio.

What isn't in the article I posted is the 17 story attached hotel under construction and the approx 300 apartments that are going to wrap the building.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 09:57:14 AM by Kerry »
Third Place

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #181 on: October 25, 2018, 10:57:27 AM »
You might want to read it again.  The main exhibit hall is 200,000 sq feet.  Then on top of that are 2 more floors containing 45,000 sq feet of event space each.  Total of 290,000 sq feet.  The 4th floor has an additional 30,000 sq ft ballroom and 10,000 sq ft outside patio.

What isn't in the article I posted is the 17 story attached hotel under construction and the approx 300 apartments that are going to wrap the building.

Then, yes. I did read that wrong. Do you have a copy of the floor plan? Could not find online.

Kerry

« Reply #182 on: October 25, 2018, 11:01:25 AM »
Let me see if I can find a link to it.
Third Place

Kerry

« Reply #183 on: October 25, 2018, 11:45:07 AM »
I can't find a link that points directly to the floor plans but I have seen them.  They are somewhere in this link.

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=26179

One correction from my previous comment - the apartments are going to wrap the parking garage and not the convention center itself.
Third Place

KenFSU

« Reply #184 on: November 09, 2018, 12:08:49 PM »
Courthouse and Annex demo permits are in.

January is looking like the month.

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/demolition-permits-sought-for-bay-street-government-buildings

Though it wouldn't be my first pick, 100% of my money remains on an Iguana convention center, possibly as part of a larger redevelopment agreement inclusive of Lot J. There's too much pressure with Wembley falling through. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see a mega-development announced by early next year inclusive of the Jacksonville Live entertainment complex, office (potentially JEA), residential, convention center, hotel, parking garage, and removal of the Hart Bridge ramps. I think Curry pushes it as the most cost-effective option due to the partnership with the Jags on the project, and also angles it as a two-for-one with Rimrock offering to redevelop the Courthouse site as suburban apartments/hotel.

downtownbrown

« Reply #185 on: November 09, 2018, 01:52:03 PM »
makes sense.

120North

« Reply #186 on: November 14, 2018, 10:43:52 AM »
Hearing project might get shelved.  Heaven forbid if someone else wants what Shad wants....

billy

« Reply #187 on: November 14, 2018, 11:04:17 AM »
they should have done an rfp to renovate/repurpose  courthouse annex

KenFSU

« Reply #188 on: November 14, 2018, 12:06:55 PM »
Hearing project might get shelved.  Heaven forbid if someone else wants what Shad wants....

Courthouse site never stood a chance after Khan's power play the day after the RFP closed.

Not sure paying $1.2 billion over 25 years for the Jacobs convention center was the right choice either (funny that outlandish requirements in the RFP result in an outlandish project cost), but it'll be a big missed opportunity to not have the convention center in the CBD.

I just hope that:

1) Whenever a convention center agreement is reached, the Jags agree to front a significant portion of the project cost. If we can get a $450 million convention center and hotel for $225 million in local contributions (plus $10 mil in remediation costs), and use the ~$700 million 25-year difference to stand up urban projects like the Emerald Necklace, Veteran's Park, Landing improvements, historic building credits, transit, environmental remediation, the decision would be a little easier to swallow.

2) We don't gift Rimrock Devlin the Courthouse property as part of the deal. There's a lot of interest in that property outside of convention use. I think we can do much better than what was proposed by RRD. If it's not going to be a convention center, we need to put something there that will add equal vibrancy to the surrounding area.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #189 on: November 14, 2018, 12:47:13 PM »
Hopefully, the whole thing will go on ice and we can reconsider when Curry's out of office. Would hate to blow millions on something we end up discovering that we don't need at such a significant scale and at a location that doesn't really benefit the downtown core.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

downtownbrown

« Reply #190 on: November 14, 2018, 01:10:45 PM »
hope it doesn't go on ice.  In Jacksonville, once things freeze up they never thaw.  What the hell does it take to get cranes in the air in this town?  Shad was right about Jacksonville and Mojo.

KenFSU

« Reply #191 on: November 14, 2018, 01:14:13 PM »
Hopefully, the whole thing will go on ice and we can reconsider when Curry's out of office. Would hate to blow millions on something we end up discovering that we don't need at such a significant scale and at a location that doesn't really benefit the downtown core.

The strawman game is strong.

"We can't afford to build a sixty-story, $1.2 billion mega-center directly atop the St. Johns River in the CBD. I guess we have no choice but to go with the Shipyards instead..."

If it isn't included in the economic development agreement for Lot J, it'll probably get iced until 2020.

Have zero doubt a handshake agreement is in place, though.

Leads to the question though - if we ice a public decision on the convention center for the foreseeable future, what do we do with the Courthouse property? Keep it on hold for a potential convention center? RFP it for other purposes?

Kerry

« Reply #192 on: November 14, 2018, 01:21:38 PM »
hope it doesn't go on ice.  In Jacksonville, once things freeze up they never thaw.  What the hell does it take to get cranes in the air in this town?  Shad was right about Jacksonville and Mojo.

Don't expect to see Jax on this list any time soon.

Third Place

KenFSU

« Reply #193 on: November 14, 2018, 01:51:32 PM »

Don't expect to see Jax on this list any time soon.

Wait, Jacksonville doesn't have as many cranes in absolute terms as MSA's up to 13 times our size?

It's kind of a misleading map in terms of relative growth.

Cranes-per-capita, now there's a stat I can get behind.

downtownbrown

« Reply #194 on: November 14, 2018, 02:08:47 PM »
that would be good.  Let's see, Jax has around a million people in the greater metro area.  And there is a crane on top of the Trio.  Not the most comforting ratio.  But perhaps I missed two or three others.  And I'm not counting the cranes being used for demolition.  But maybe every demolition crane should be subtracted by the construction cranes....