Author Topic: Convention Center Wars  (Read 9069 times)

Papa33

Re: Convention Center Wars
« Reply #150 on: September 13, 2018, 10:47:55 AM »
Well if that's the case and it's decided that Bay Street site is not the best location, then it appears they have to RFP it once again.  I agree with all, though, that neither the courthouse or annex should be razed until something concrete is decided with that site (although its probably too late for that).

KenFSU

« Reply #151 on: September 13, 2018, 11:12:50 AM »
Well if that's the case and it's decided that Bay Street site is not the best location, then it appears they have to RFP it once again.  I agree with all, though, that neither the courthouse or annex should be razed until something concrete is decided with that site (although its probably too late for that).

Sadly, I think it is too late.

Interior demo has been ongoing for several months.

downtownbrown

« Reply #152 on: September 13, 2018, 11:22:38 AM »
Way too late.  Who would have standing to get an injunction?  I'm glad they are getting on with it.  We need more cranes in the air.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #153 on: September 13, 2018, 11:25:20 AM »
This is very likely to prove to be a dumb move by the city, regardless of what happens with the convention center.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

downtownbrown

« Reply #154 on: September 13, 2018, 11:52:13 AM »
Curious as to why razing two buildings with no historic or aesthetic appeal would be a mistake. Isn't it better to remove the asbestos filled boxes with something fresh that maximizes the riverfront.  I'll be glad to see them go.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #155 on: September 13, 2018, 12:06:14 PM »
Curious as to why razing two buildings with no historic or aesthetic appeal would be a mistake. Isn't it better to remove the asbestos filled boxes with something fresh that maximizes the riverfront.  I'll be glad to see them go.

With the City Hall building, at least, the cost to turn it into offices or apartments is going to be way less than tearing it down and building something new. Especially if the convention center is never built, which looks like a serious possibility right now. Aesthetic appeal is subjective. I'd much rather have the distinctive midcentury City Hall building than more stick-built hurricane bait made of chintzy Chinese materials like we've been getting.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Papa33

« Reply #156 on: September 13, 2018, 12:14:27 PM »
Lynyrd Curry will get what he wants by hook or crook.

vicupstate

« Reply #157 on: September 13, 2018, 12:23:32 PM »

The likelihood that it sits empty is far greater than it will be developed. As long as it is standing there is always the possibility of working with what is there. With demolition, you never get that option back. 

The City Hall annex in particular has a lot of potential for something else. Condos, Apartments, hotel, etc.  Anything new built there would probably be considerably less floors too.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 12:35:43 PM by vicupstate »
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Kiva

« Reply #158 on: September 13, 2018, 06:02:46 PM »
Damn, Lake, your proposal makes too much sense to be considered seriously.  Our Powers That Be would rather shoot for Mars (never mind the Moon), have the rocket explode on launch, and complain they don't have enough financial incentives (that is, tax dollars).
True!

KenFSU

« Reply #159 on: September 14, 2018, 12:22:34 PM »
The likelihood that it sits empty is far greater than it will be developed.

Disagree.

Convention center or no convention center, keep an eye on both that site and the surrounding area in the coming months.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #160 on: September 14, 2018, 12:28:32 PM »
The likelihood is that they'll sit empty for at least a decade if the market blows up in the next year or two. If developed, the product will be a lot less density on the site than what's there today.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

KenFSU

« Reply #161 on: September 14, 2018, 01:06:19 PM »
If developed, the product will be a lot less density on the site than what's there today.

I"m sure you're right, but at this point, the damage is done.

Ceilings, floors, utilities, etc. are being yanked out with full demolition coming in 90 days.

Annex in particular could have made a great retrofit, but that ship has sailed.

If we go with a convention center at the sports complex, god help us, I hope we RFP the Annex and Courthouse properties separately to hopefully create a little more density.

There's interest in the area from multiple parties.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #162 on: September 14, 2018, 02:33:53 PM »
^Yeah, the damage has been done but I still believe it's very likely we end up looking at a vacant lot or two for a while. The market will control this site's outcome moreso than COJ's wheeling and dealing will.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #164 on: September 19, 2018, 06:12:27 PM »
The Jacobs proposal was ranked the highest.