Author Topic: Goodbye overpriced popsicles, hello overpriced ice cream?  (Read 1917 times)

sanmarcomatt

• Mayor of The Coffee District
Goodbye overpriced popsicles, hello overpriced ice cream?
« on: August 08, 2018, 11:37:19 AM »
https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2018/08/08/exclusive-hyppo-location-in-san-marco-to.html

Hyppo to become "artisan ice cream".This place looked like a ghost town every time I went by. Hopefully this will do better. I started to think it was an internet cafe for Hyppo employees.

The 'train station' really became derailed after its promising start. After repeatedly saying they were signing "a game changer", I think Ashco took the empty spot for an office. Hopefully that is temporary as it is such a waste of a good building.

Wacca Pilatka

Re: Goodbye overpriced popsicles, hello overpriced ice cream?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 11:54:49 AM »
^ I have a love for the Hyppo that borders on unhealthy, but I pretty much avoided the San Marco location.  Not only is it close to the Brooklyn shop as mentioned in the article, it never had as many or as desirable of flavors in stock.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

jax_hwy_engineer

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 12:19:08 PM »
No doubt their popsicles are good, but I've honestly only tried them once. It did almost seem a little overkill to have a whole shop dedicated to popsicles, an item usually sold in freezers at the grocery store or gas station. Hopefully they can get their products out into the market more and bring some more people in with a "real" ice cream shop.

pierre

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 12:19:35 PM »
I never see anybody in there aside from the employees. I wish them the best.

Sonic101

• It's Coming
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 02:14:09 PM »
One of the locations in St.Augustine is more of a cafe with coffee and sandwiches, if that's successful they'll probably pivot.

MusicMan

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 04:14:02 PM »
I always enjoyed their product. So do my kids and their friends. By artisan ice cream I hope they mean gelato. That along with a good espresso bar might work there. The new coffee place on Atlantic in San Marco has captured a bit of market share right away.

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 08:59:42 AM »
We drove by here Friday night (Now Mayday ice cream)and this place looked packed. I think I saw more people in that one glance than I saw combined over the entire popsicle history. Great to see as I have never liked the new building but seeing it lit up with tons of people/activity was pretty cool. I apologize to the hexagon... opinion changed.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 10:11:20 AM »
I've been in a couple of times. The ice cream is good, definitely an improvement over the popsicles.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 08:13:09 AM »
Mayday is awesome. The blueberry toast crunch now in their freezers has cracked my list of top 5 ice creams. Mayday is quickly creeping up on a level with Jeni's, Salt & Straw and Coolhaus from a quality/fun flavors standpoint.

MusicMan

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 09:26:28 AM »
Competition for Marble Slab?

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 09:35:48 AM »
Competition for Marble Slab?

Opinions are like.... well, you get the point... but my opinion is that Mayday has more interesting flavor combos than Marble Slab, and you can also get multiple scoops (up to 6) at Mayday. Plus, Mayday is a local business (Stephen DiMare, proprietor of Hyppo, Mayday and Cousteas, is a San Marco resident) that may some day appear on grocery shelves across the country... much like Jeni's, Coolhaus, etc.  Besides just a quality product (which is obviously the most important thing), choosing to spend your money at Mayday is supporting what could evolve into a major, home-grown success story.

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2018, 03:09:52 PM »
We tried Mayday today and thought it was great...better than Marble Slab. It was nicely busy. Good to see.

But no one thought to mention they have a flavor called COFFEE and DONUTS?!?!?! That just maybe a certain San Marco residing member might be interested?!?! C'mon people. Think of someone besides yourself for a change. Am I the only one thoughtful and selfless? Sigh....its a burden.

MusicMan

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2018, 04:14:09 PM »
Ha.........

Don't forget, doesn't Peterbrooke sell gelato?

ben says

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2018, 04:16:04 AM »
Ha.........

I think its ice cream, not gelato. That said, I´m convinced 9 out of 10 Jacksonville F&B establishments don't know the difference between gelato and ice cream anyway...
For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2018, 05:23:32 AM »
Ha.........

I think its ice cream, not gelato. That said, I´m convinced 9 out of 10 Jacksonville F&B establishments don't know the difference between gelato and ice cream anyway...

Well, technically, 'gelato' is just the Italian word for ice cream...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 11:20:28 AM by Adam White »
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”