Author Topic: Old Greyhound Bus Terminal  (Read 2484 times)

jaxnyc79

Old Greyhound Bus Terminal
« on: August 01, 2018, 06:41:19 AM »
https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/demolition-permit-sought-for-former-greyhound-station

In my humble opinion, it would be unfortunate to tear this down with no near-term alternative residential or commercial uses for the property.  I actually think the building has significant potential for adaptive reuse.  If this is coming down for a parking lot or yet another "car stack," well it's too bad. 

DrQue

Re: Old Greyhound Bus Terminal
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 09:30:11 AM »
Between decks and surface lots, there are already several blocks purely dedicated to parking in this area. Allowing a pure-play parking deck to cover another lot would be a shame.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/parking/@30.3282862,-81.6630684,794m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1

KenFSU

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 10:27:49 AM »
Ramon Llorens has implied in the past that the property their group is acquiring is a speculative, long-term investment that they intend to hold on to.

My guess is that they're tearing it down for surface parking in the interim.

If that's the case, or in the absence of any immediate plan to develop the lot, I hope the permit is denied.

I like the building, it's got character.

Houseboat Mike

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 02:54:00 PM »
Scuttlebutt I have heard is that the plan is to build a high rise taller than BOA on the lot, which is why he bought the Omni parking lot, so the line of sight to the river is preserved.

however this info is 3rd or 4th hand me down info when I heard it, so take it for what it is worth....

acme54321

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 03:06:25 PM »
Why wouldn't they just build the high rise on the Omni lot then?

Houseboat Mike

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 03:21:35 PM »

Greyhound is a full block, Omni is a little over half of the block. Larger footprint is my guess. If I had to guess, the Omni lot will become another parking garage to support the new structure on the Greyhound lot, but that is only a shot in the dark guess.

acme54321

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 03:30:16 PM »

Greyhound is a full block, Omni is a little over half of the block. Larger footprint is my guess. If I had to guess, the Omni lot will become another parking garage to support the new structure on the Greyhound lot, but that is only a shot in the dark guess.

The block the Omni is on is about 4x the Greyhound block.  The parking lot and Greyhound lot are very similar in size.

Houseboat Mike

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 03:53:20 PM »

The block the Omni is on is about 4x the Greyhound block.  The parking lot and Greyhound lot are very similar in size.

Like I said, this is 3rd generation hand me down info. Totally possible they will build the high rise at omni and Greyhound will be parking. But it is fun to guess..... ;D

vicupstate

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 03:58:26 PM »
Scuttlebutt I have heard is that the plan is to build a high rise taller than BOA on the lot, which is why he bought the Omni parking lot, so the line of sight to the river is preserved.

however this info is 3rd or 4th hand me down info when I heard it, so take it for what it is worth....

Don't get Heights Unknown's hopes up like that, and then walk it back.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Captain Zissou

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 05:17:03 PM »

Don't get Heights Unknown's hopes up like that, and then walk it back.
The height of the development IS unknown, so there's that...

KenFSU

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 12:33:49 PM »

acme54321

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 03:05:37 PM »
I have a feeling that there is more going on with this site than we've been lead to believe.

Gunnar

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2018, 09:22:20 AM »
Kinda sad - used to arrive there several times when visiting my American family in the 90s (could get cheap employee standby tickets to ATL and took the bus from there - was a pretty long journey).

I did feel somewhat out of place travelling in a suit and tie as I was supposed to look "proper"e when travelling on standby, but the joy of getting back to Jax made it all worth while :)
I want to live in a society where people can voice unpopular opinions because I know that as a result of that, a society grows and matures...” — Hugh Hefner

JaxJersey-licious

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2018, 11:56:46 PM »
My memories of the old bus station was from when I was a kid in the 80's and occasionally had to pick up friends and relatives coming through there. What struck me were the number of kids coming off the buses unaccompanied by adults with a beaten-down-by-life demeanor I rarely saw from friends or other kids that age. I soon found out that many of them were aimless runaways that just wanted to be in Florida for whatever reason. Many disembarked here because this was the first Florida stop or couldn't afford to go any further south and ended up homeless in Jax Beach.

That bus station was always a depressing place to pick up or drop off friends and relatives, even more so that the crappy Amtrak station. And the Burger King that was there at the time sucked. I just felt bad for a lot of those kids, even though I guess they contributed to the edgy music culture that emerged from the beach back in the day. Given the urgency to tear that place down there must be some really big plans for that piece of land so I say good riddance.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 10:49:53 PM »
I took a Greyhound to Miami around 1980 for a cruise.  (In those days, when the Caribbean market was in its relative infancy, Miami was the only regular cruise port in Florida.)  Even then, it was an "experience" seeing some members of society I wasn't regularly exposed to  8).  Was kind of glad the trip was only a few hours as my girlfriend was leery of some of our fellow passenger's manners and hygiene.  The best part is it was cheap and we didn't have to worry about parking a car in Miami.  The cruise line even picked up passengers then at Greyhound.  (I don't recall that they had parking lots for cruise passengers like they do today.)

I did like the Jax terminal's period architecture and the iconic Greyhound and "BUS" neon signs.  I hope they salvaged those.  Seems the building would have made a great food court or home to boutique retailers so badly needed in downtown.  Also, maybe as a home to a colony of creative types.  The lack of imagination in re-purposing downtown buildings is striking and sad for our history and real character.  How charming is a new glass and steel building with no street level interaction?  Demolition is such a cop out, especially when there are no immediate plans for a replacement structure.  Jax has no real strategic and coherent plan for saving its past, just leaving it to a few scarce, random and disjointed outcomes.  That lack of synergy is why downtown doesn't do better.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 02:31:23 PM by jaxlongtimer »