Author Topic: Jax's Longest Operating BBQ Joints  (Read 970 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Jax's Longest Operating BBQ Joints
« on: July 24, 2018, 06:43:35 AM »
The South is known for great barbecue and Jacksonville's restaurants are no exception. Here are 7 Jacksonville BBQ joints that have been serving up the cuisine longer than the average person may expect.

Full article: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/jaxs-longest-operating-bbq-joints/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Charles Hunter

Re: Jax's Longest Operating BBQ Joints
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 09:10:18 AM »
Now, I'm hungry.

Bill Hoff

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 08:06:40 AM »
Fred Cotten's BBQ just opened their new 4th & Main location yesterday to a full house. Inside looks great, now serving beer & wine too.

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/fred-cottens-landmark-bbq-reopens-in-springfield
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 08:38:33 AM by Bill Hoff »

Scarlettjax

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 08:08:40 PM »
One of the most interesting things about JAX barbecue is the mustard sauce.  It's not like other regional BBQ sauces based on mustard; there is little sweetness and much more vinegar-salty-piquancy involved.  When I read BBQ reviews from other regions, touting their uniqueness, I always think about the ubiquitous of that mustard based sauce in our area that seems to be overlooked.  Most of the popular BBQ joints in JAX feature some version of this type of mustard sauce, and I prefer it to most other types of sauce.  I think sauce preference may be a lot about what you are used to, and I grew up on Jenkins-Cottens-Bono's style of sauces.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 08:31:39 PM »
South Carolina claims it but its origins are low country and the low country extends from Wilmington, NC to St. Augustine.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 08:42:05 PM »
Any idea on where the use of peach butcher paper with BBQ came from? I know it's a trendy fad now but I remember hole-in-the-wall places on the Northside doing this since I was a kid.