Author Topic: 2019 Predictions  (Read 993 times)

KenFSU

2019 Predictions
« on: July 20, 2018, 02:52:54 PM »
Between Elements closing on the District, the Ambassador announcement, Berkman II selling, and power being restored to the Barnett for the first time in decades, feels like the busiest downtown news week since before recession.

Let's play that game where we guess which projects will be under construction by this time next year (July 2019), and which will still be collecting dust.

Here's the list:

Laura Street Trio - 
Dave & Busters on Steroids (Berkman II) -
Ambassador Hotel Development -
The District -
Khan/Cordish Lot J -
USS Adams -
Vista Brooklyn -
Jones Bros Furniture Apartments -
Chamblin's Apartments & Restaurant -
Doro District -
Hart Bridge Demolition -
Veterans Park -
Jacksonville Landing -
Hyatt Place (Sister Cities) -
Courthouse Demolition -
Convention Center -
JTA Skyway Clown Cars -
Balanky Southbank Tower & Gondola -
Hotel Indigo -
Synder Memorial Repurpose -
Emerald Necklace -
JEA Headquarters -
Shipyards Remediation -
Friendship Fountain Restoration & Expansion -

KenFSU

Re: 2019 Predictions
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 03:03:31 PM »
My predictions:

Laura Street Trio -  Barnett open, garage finished. Trio under heavy construction.
Dave & Busters on Steroids (Berkman II) - Fairly standard hotel & garage under construction. No water. No steroids.
Ambassador Hotel Development - Ambassador under construction. Adjacent building demo'd. Residential on hold.
The District - Horizontal construction underway.
Khan/Cordish Lot J - New renders released at State of the Franchise 2019. Development agreement being negotiated with the city. Breaks ground in early 2020 during the offseason.
USS Adams - Docked at the Shipyards.
Vista Brooklyn - No progress. Black SUV still parked there.
Jones Bros Furniture Apartments - Under construction.
Chamblin's Apartments & Restaurant - Nearly finished.
Doro District - No progress.
Hart Bridge Demolition - PD&E study in progress, no demolition. Hopeful pedestrians still have to settle for passing by the jail by car, rather than on foot.
Veterans Park - Toxic brownfield.
Jacksonville Landing - Locked up in court. Virtually identical to today's Landing.
Hyatt Place (Sister Cities) - Under construction.
Courthouse Demolition - Demolished.
Convention Center - Serious negotiations underway with the winner of the RFP.
JTA Skyway Clown Cars - Still puttering along test tracks at 10 mph.
Balanky Southbank Tower & Gondola - Not heard about again until the next economic bubble is about to burst.
Hotel Indigo - Done.
Synder Memorial Repurpose - Sold, with plans for a bar/restaurant.
Emerald Necklace - McCoys Creek cleanup recently started.
JEA Headquarters - JEA still exploring sites, with both the Shipyards and District mentioned as possibilities.
Shipyards Remediation - Filthy. No plan.
Friendship Fountain Restoration & Expansion - Under construction.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 03:58:23 PM »
Laura Street Trio -  Barnett and Garage Completed. Trio In Work
Dave & Busters on Steroids (Berkman II) - Nothing
Ambassador Hotel Development - Nothing, except old Chamber of Commerce demolished
The District - In Discussion, no work
Khan/Cordish Lot J - Phase 1 Under Construction (if for no other reason than the COJ sort of has to let the Jags do it if they want)
USS Adams - Completed
Vista Brooklyn - Under Construction
Jones Bros Furniture Apartments - In Discussion, no work
Chamblin's Apartments & Restaurant - Under Construction
Doro District - Under Construction
Hart Bridge Demolition - Under Construction
Veterans Park - In Discussion, no work
Jacksonville Landing - Tied Up In Court
Hyatt Place (Sister Cities) - Under Construction
Courthouse Demolition - Completed
Convention Center - In Discussion, no work
JTA Skyway Clown Cars - In Discussion, no work
Balanky Southbank Tower & Gondola - In Discussion, no work
Hotel Indigo - Under Construction
Synder Memorial Repurpose - In Discussion, no work
Emerald Necklace - Some Aspects Under Construction
JEA Headquarters - In Discussion, no work
Shipyards Remediation - In Discussion, no work
Friendship Fountain Restoration & Expansion - Under Construction

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 03:59:03 PM »
Fun List BTW

It really is amazing how much has come up in the last 6 weeks. Now, it will be really fun if a couple things have been completed.

jagsonville

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 04:01:02 PM »
I think all those predictions are spot on, I would love for you to be wrong on Vista though. I would add the residence inn will be under construction and the Elena Flats will be finished along with two vestcor apartments in lavilla.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 04:03:49 PM »
I think all those predictions are spot on, I would love for you to be wrong on Vista though. I would add the residence inn will be under construction and the Elena Flats will be finished along with two vestcor apartments in lavilla.

I think you were directing that to Ken, but I agree. I think the Residence Inn and it's crappy site plan is definitely happening, and I'd agree about the other two things.

jagsonville

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 09:20:39 PM »

I think you were directing that to Ken, but I agree. I think the Residence Inn and it's crappy site plan is definitely happening, and I'd agree about the other two things.

That is correct, directed at Ken. Speaking of the residence inn, is there anything we can do to sway the DDRB to send the project back to the drawing board when they go back for final approval?

vicupstate

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 09:55:47 PM »
I thought JEA had already picked a site close to the current Duval Courthouse?
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

KenFSU

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 08:44:36 AM »

That is correct, directed at Ken. Speaking of the residence inn, is there anything we can do to sway the DDRB to send the project back to the drawing board when they go back for final approval?

I didn't even bother including the Residence Inn, because of all the hotels, this one feels like the surest bet to break ground quickly.

Unfortunately, it was already approved as is by the DDRB under threats that no one else would want to develop the property if Marriott didn't.

KenFSU

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 08:51:55 AM »
I thought JEA had already picked a site close to the current Duval Courthouse?

They've identified a site to conduct a feasibility study on, and allocated around $600k to pay CBRE to start it, but no one seems to know if any due diligence has started yet.

Was talking to a friend last night who's pretty high up at JEA, and internally, the informed belief is that we're going to see sales talk big up in a big way again early next year.

Not sure if or how that'll effect the new HQ.

RattlerGator

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 09:55:07 AM »

Khan/Cordish Lot J - New renders released at State of the Franchise 2019. Development agreement being negotiated with the city. Breaks ground in early 2020 during the offseason.

I know I’ve been out of pocket for a good bit but . . . why won’t this project break ground in early 2019 ? ? ?

Doro District - No progress.

Well, what the hell will be the holdup here ? ? ?

Hart Bridge Demolition - PD&E study in progress, no demolition. Hopeful pedestrians still have to settle for passing by the jail by car, rather than on foot.

Well, I’m Johnny One Note on this as y’all well know. The start of design build procurement has already been budgeted for, has it not? So construction can theoretically begin in January 2019. That is going to happen, and (one way or the other) construction will certainly begin no later than January 2020. I believe I said to some scoffing here that this project was absolutely going to happen rather quickly.

Big things are happening in Big Duval.

KenFSU

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2018, 10:29:36 AM »
^Good to see you, buddy!

1) You're right, the Jags have stated a few times that they want to have construction underway by spring. Would love to see it happen, but right now, there's no development agreement on the table between the city and the Jags, the environmental is a big question mark for Lot J, and football season is about to start. I do think that all the excitement about this football season is going to make it pretty easy to push something through City Council though.

2) No idea, but there's clearly a holdup. Doro District negotiated a parking lot in January 2017 and put plans before the DDRB well over a year ago, and has been totally silent ever since.

3) I think environmental is going to make this a more complicated process than people think as well. Plus, you still need to solicit bids for the demolition and figure out how the tens of thousands of vehicles that use the Hart Bridge ramps everyday are going to exit before you can start knocking things down.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2018, 12:37:45 PM »
Laura Street Trio -  Barnett Done, Garage open, Under Construction for the rest
Dave & Busters on Steroids (Berkman II) - Absolutely Nothing
Ambassador Hotel Development - Nothing. Potential Demolition of adjacent building
The District - maybe a few utilities and horizontal construction
Khan/Cordish Lot J - Under Construction in some capacity
USS Adams - Docked!!
Vista Brooklyn - I don't see it happening in '19, but boy do I hope I'm wrong!!!!
Jones Bros Furniture Apartments - Gotta go with Steve.  No work.
Chamblin's Apartments & Restaurant - Under construction or hopefully finished.  He has been working on it slowly for years, but I think he'll pick up the pace in the near future
Doro District - No work.
Hart Bridge Demolition - In discussion
Veterans Park - Nothing until more momentum on lot J necessitates the move
Jacksonville Landing - Stalemate
Hyatt Place (Sister Cities) - Under Construction
Courthouse Demolition - Ongoing
Convention Center - Nothing
JTA Skyway Clown Cars - Nothing
Balanky Southbank Tower & Gondola - Nothing
Hotel Indigo - Done!
Synder Memorial Repurpose -
Emerald Necklace - under construction in some capacity. Clean up/remediation
JEA Headquarters - Nothing
Shipyards Remediation - Nothing
Friendship Fountain Restoration & Expansion - Under construction

Bill Hoff

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 11:50:22 PM »
Under construction = dirt being moved around or hard hats.

Laura Street Trio -  Yes.
Dave & Busters on Steroids (Berkman II) - No.
Ambassador Hotel Development - No.
The District - Yes.
Khan/Cordish Lot J - No.
USS Adams - Yes.
Vista Brooklyn - No.
Jones Bros Furniture Apartments - Yes.
Chamblin's Apartments & Restaurant - Yes.
Doro District - No.
Hart Bridge Demolition - No.
Veterans Park - No.
Jacksonville Landing - No.
Hyatt Place (Sister Cities) - Yes.
Courthouse Demolition - Yes.
Convention Center - No.
JTA Skyway Clown Cars - No.
Balanky Southbank Tower & Gondola - No.
Hotel Indigo - Yes.
Synder Memorial Repurpose - No.
Emerald Necklace - Yes.
JEA Headquarters - No.
Shipyards Remediation - No.
Friendship Fountain Restoration & Expansion - Yes.