Author Topic: Brightline ready to expand rail system to Tampa  (Read 107888 times)

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
Re: Brightline ready to expand rail system to Tampa
« Reply #390 on: July 20, 2021, 10:44:34 PM »
A half step forward tonight. Including some choice quotes.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/07/20/brightline-gets-support-for-orlando-to-tampa-route.html

Brightline gets Central Florida Expressway Authority support for Tampa route

The Central Florida Expressway Authority's governing board on July 20 approved an agreement with the Miami-based high-speed intercity passenger rail system for the future route. The decision does not finalize a path for the route, but does allow for additional negotiations.

The Florida Department of Transportation set a July 31 deadline for route support to be finalized. Options being considered include 17-mile stretches along either State Road 417 or State Road 528. The expressway authority board still needs to vote at a later date on a contract for the sale of any necessary right of way along the route and a rail line maintenance agreement, said the agency's Executive Director Laura Kelley.

The routes costs are $1.06 billion for the SR 417 route and $1.66 billion-$2.22 billion for the SR 528 option, depending on the route selected, according to third-party estimates by Dewberry Engineers commissioned by the expressway authority.

The SR 528 route received the most support from residents of the Hunter's Creek neighborhood in Orange County — who may be affected by the State Road 417 route — and businesses in Orlando's International Drive tourist corridor that stand to benefit. Those who spoke in support of the route included representatives from SeaWorld Entertainment Inc. (NYSE: SEAS) and Rosen Hotels & Resorts, as well as John Sprouls, executive vice president and chief administrative officer of Universal Parks & Resorts.

Sprouls offered to donate 17 acres of Universal's land near the Orange County Convention Center as part of an effort to push the SR 528 route. He also said the company would commit financial resources to providing a last-mile solution for train riders. A SR 528 route also may open connections and expansion for other local transit systems like Central Florida's SunRail commuter train, Sprouls added.

"We believe in the convention center route, and yes, we have a vested interest because we are near International Drive. I bet we have the same vested interest that Disney has, which is connectivity to the airport."

Meanwhile, Hunter's Creek residents raised concerns about safety, noise and vibration associated with the proposed SR 417 route, along with the possibility of their property values falling. Roughly 1,100 residents and supporters of the community signed an online petition which began on July 12.

Meanwhile, the Florida Department of Transportation in a July 19 letter to Brightline President Patrick Goddard said "significant progress" has been made on negotiating terms with commuter train SunRail's governing board to lease any right-of-way Brightline might need for the proposed route along the 61-mile Central Florida Rail Corridor, which primarily is used by SunRail and freight trains.

Brightline has been working to secure the right-of-way necessary for the Tampa extension before a July 31 deadline. However, "because of the progress to date and the inclusion of [SunRail's] terms in the lease agreement, FDOT no longer believes a formal agreement is needed prior to July 31," said Brad Thoburn, assistant secretary for strategic development at FDOT.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

marcuscnelson

« Reply #391 on: July 20, 2021, 10:47:16 PM »
Also some timeline details that were given last month.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/06/22/brightline-shares-proposed-timeline-for-tampa.html

Brightline has a clearer timeline on when it may start work on its Orlando-to-Tampa route.

If the Miami-based intercity rail provider gets the necessary approvals, construction on the first segment — roughly 16.7 miles from Orlando International Airport to Disney Springs at Walt Disney World Resort — could get started by first-quarter 2024, said the firm during a June 22 presentation to Orange County. The remaining 68 miles of the 85-mile route to Tampa would begin construction in second-quarter 2025.

Here's more from the presentation on the project's timeline:

Design for the first segment is underway and expected to wrap by fourth-quarter 2022. Construction on this phase would end by fourth-quarter 2025.
The second segment's design phase will occur from first-quarter 2022 through third-quarter 2024. Construction of this segment work would extend past 2026.
Permitting and final agreements on right-of-way — which would include private property owners along the route — would occur between fourth-quarter 2022 and second-quarter 2025.
Passenger service would begin after the new track completes safety testing.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #392 on: July 23, 2021, 11:04:56 AM »

I can understand the news on CFX resolution feels good, I'm not sure it's actually good news for Brightline.   If I'm understanding it correctly, the resolution only supports Brightline using the 528 option.  That route is projected to cost as much to go 17 miles as the other 65 miles to get to Tampa.

https://www.cfxway.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/2021-07-20-Agenda-with-attachments-2.pdf

marcuscnelson

« Reply #393 on: July 23, 2021, 04:48:51 PM »
You're looking at the agenda, not what actually happened.

They only committed to getting Brightline to Disney somehow, they kicked the can on actually choosing a route because they want more time, and Disney is likely pressuring from behind as they often do.

tufsu1

« Reply #394 on: July 27, 2021, 10:03:37 AM »
^ Disney has been pressuring for nearly 20 years for a southern alignment (using the Greeneway) such that the rail would avoid the I-Drive / Universal / Sea World area

marcuscnelson

« Reply #395 on: July 30, 2021, 05:54:40 PM »
Brightline just posted a "Plan for American HSR" map that includes Jacksonville.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #396 on: July 30, 2021, 06:18:09 PM »
Lol, I'm sure they are positioning themselves for money from the Biden administration. Luckily for Jax, they actually have something off the ground in Florida.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

acme54321

« Reply #397 on: July 30, 2021, 08:05:40 PM »
I'm surprised they aren't trying to connect Miami to Atlanta.  They already have a relationship with NS.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #398 on: July 31, 2021, 02:26:29 PM »
Exactly what sort of "relationship" does Brightline has with Norfolk Southern?

acme54321

« Reply #399 on: July 31, 2021, 08:15:14 PM »
Exactly what sort of "relationship" does Brightline has with Norfolk Southern?

Ok, they don't.  FEC does though and as far as I know that was developed when they were still owned by Fortress.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 08:18:09 PM by acme54321 »

Pottsburg

• Always Carry Always Conceal
« Reply #400 on: August 01, 2021, 03:07:18 PM »
CSX has the better route to Atlanta and about 15 years ago or so almost sold it to FEC.  Problem is the route to Atlanta doesn't currently run any kind of passenger service. So you would have to upgrade about 350 miles of track.  Lots of rural area which is ideal for speed and overall costs, but I don't see them giving it up.  Especially since they have been buying track and not selling lately. 
Forza Napoli!  EPL has nothing on the Serie A