Author Topic: Brightline ready to expand rail system to Tampa  (Read 48897 times)

Pottsburg

• Always Carry Always Conceal
Forza Napoli!  EPL has nothing on the Serie A

tufsu1

Re: Brightline ready to expand rail system to Tampa
« Reply #241 on: May 27, 2020, 09:51:13 PM »
^ I've been working on an economic mobility and access study of this corridor for the last two years. The interesting thing to note here is that TriRail paid Brightline to add capacity to Miami Central station.

Even if TriRail on the FEC never happens north of midtown, there's a crossover connection between the CSX and FEC around 73rd Street. TriRail's initial plans were to split the end point of their trains between the airport and downtown.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 09:56:36 PM by tufsu1 »

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #242 on: May 28, 2020, 10:41:38 AM »

I can't imagine that TriRail is going to let Virgin in on it's action without a fight and some sort of compensation.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Virgin get help for building it's additional 4 - 6 stations in MIA- WPB corridor that it's been talking about in exchange for TriRail being able to use them.

Not sure what that is worth if TriRail doesn't have funding in place for a third track on the corridor.  It's FEC's line; they're going to need to get their permission to actually operate on it. 

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #243 on: May 28, 2020, 11:53:14 AM »
Since Virgin and FEC sleep in the same bed, it would be a waste for TriRail to fight to try and operate on the FEC in Miami at least. Plus TriRail is 100% government funded. If giving money to Virgin to run a better commuter rail service is lower than 100% subsidizing TriRail on the FEC, it would be better to have Virgin do it.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Pottsburg

« Reply #244 on: May 28, 2020, 04:10:11 PM »
TriRail running north of the diamond in Miami is not going to happen. Virgin is really talking about the port lead track, which is not mainline. Possibly a stop in a place like Historic Overtown which is in the process of being revitalize. There was rumor of the new soccer stadium going there. South of the diamond you have the Miami people mover which runs along the FEC corridor but is raised. I promise virgin isn’t interested in heading west along the FEC tracks too Hialeah.

acme54321

« Reply #245 on: May 28, 2020, 07:13:36 PM »

I can't imagine that TriRail is going to let Virgin in on it's action without a fight and some sort of compensation.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Virgin get help for building it's additional 4 - 6 stations in MIA- WPB corridor that it's been talking about in exchange for TriRail being able to use them.

Not sure what that is worth if TriRail doesn't have funding in place for a third track on the corridor.  It's FEC's line; they're going to need to get their permission to actually operate on it.

Virgin/Brightline and FEC share ownership of the corridor.

Pottsburg

« Reply #246 on: May 29, 2020, 03:36:47 PM »

No virgin/Brightline owns the land in some spots like the stations and part of the port. But the majority of the land is owned by FEC (now GrupoMexico) alone. The big unknowing factor in all of this, is Grupo is only interested in freight. They are not getting along with Brightline and go head to head on issues all the time. Brightline owns one of the tracks on the double main but that track is on FEC land. So it’s basically like a 99 year lease. You can upgrade the property all you want but if you go out of business it’s your responsibility to pickup you track and leave (which is not economical).

Virgin/Brightline and FEC share ownership of the corridor.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #247 on: June 03, 2020, 12:15:23 PM »
Since Virgin and FEC sleep in the same bed, it would be a waste for TriRail to fight to try and operate on the FEC in Miami at least. Plus TriRail is 100% government funded. If giving money to Virgin to run a better commuter rail service is lower than 100% subsidizing TriRail on the FEC, it would be better to have Virgin do it.

It's good to have an optimistic take.  I'm way too jaded.   It's Miami; I have a hard time getting past the  good ol' boy network that's going to be in play.   

i wouldn't be surprised to see that network throw too much public $$$ at Virgin to build the stations while having TriRail be the operator for those.

Part of that too is that commuter rail isn't something you can operate for a profit; not w/out the govt throwing in big $$$$$$.   Just look at Rock Island's history.  They begged for decades to offload their money Chicago commuter rail operations. 

Just my take.  I appreciate the insights and opinions others are sharing too.  Good stuff.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #248 on: June 03, 2020, 12:26:20 PM »
^I'd be interested to see how they identify where to place the extra stations. Seems like a potential TOD bonanza, while getting public money to sustain operations. In general, it's pretty brilliant to combine the two. It's what the railroad and streetcar barons used to do 100 years ago. Typically we just shell out public money on public transit and totally ignore the land use integration side of it (cough...Ultimate Urban Circulator).
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

tufsu1

« Reply #249 on: June 04, 2020, 01:57:36 PM »
^ here is the website for the land use & TOD studies. The draft reports should be out next month.

http://www.miamidadetpo.org/smartplan-northeast-corridor.asp