Author Topic: Brightline ready to expand rail system to Tampa  (Read 9376 times)

Pottsburg

• Always Carry Always Conceal
Re: Brightline ready to expand rail system to Tampa
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2018, 01:24:04 PM »
Don’t get me wrong I wish they would do Jax first. I couldn’t care less about the Tampa section. From a person who worked on this project and has done Railroad construction for some time (NS, BNSF, FEC, AAF) the easier job in on virgin land. Again as long as you have the path, that includes ownership and all the BS red tape they throw in front of you. Also WPB to Mia is no where near finished, It may not seem like this because the train is running, but IMO they have 2 years of work and testing still needed to be done on the south section. The “second phase” of the project hasnt even decided who won the contract. Only thing they have started is laying fiber. Believe me when I say it’s going to be some time before Tampa or Jax is even a topic of what’s next
Forza Napoli!  EPL has nothing on the Serie A

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2018, 06:55:44 AM »
Again as long as you have the path, that includes ownership and all the BS red tape they throw in front of you.

Yes, and they don't have the path or necessary approvals to build on a path they don't own, which also isn't virgin land, which is the most time consuming part of the process and must be factored in. That process literally takes years. Market-wise though, Central Florida is light years larger and more significant than Jax. That alone is likely the main driver in trying to extend 80 miles to Tampa and getting the long process started to do so.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 07:03:06 AM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

MusicMan

« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2018, 09:23:06 AM »
" Also WPB to Mia is no where near finished, It may not seem like this because the train is running, but IMO they have 2 years of work and testing still needed to be done on the south section"

Not sure what you consider 'finished' but the Miami station opened in May and has 11 departures daily. Going to 16 in August.  Residential and office space (TOD) opening with in a year.

Folks I've talked to here would love to have Brightline connect to Orlando, anywhere within 10 miles of Disney or the airport.. No more I-95 to I-4  BS to put up with.....

Pottsburg

« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2018, 01:10:32 PM »
Again as long as you have the path, that includes ownership and all the BS red tape they throw in front of you.

Yes, and they don't have the path or necessary approvals to build on a path they don't own, which also isn't virgin land, which is the most time consuming part of the process and must be factored in. That process literally takes years. Market-wise though, Central Florida is light years larger and more significant than Jax. That alone is likely the main driver in trying to extend 80 miles to Tampa and getting the long process started to do so.

Well I hope the process takes forever and they just settle on Jax.

Pottsburg

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2018, 01:14:52 PM »
" Also WPB to Mia is no where near finished, It may not seem like this because the train is running, but IMO they have 2 years of work and testing still needed to be done on the south section"

Not sure what you consider 'finished' but the Miami station opened in May and has 11 departures daily. Going to 16 in August.  Residential and office space (TOD) opening with in a year.

Folks I've talked to here would love to have Brightline connect to Orlando, anywhere within 10 miles of Disney or the airport.. No more I-95 to I-4  BS to put up with.....

I consider I job finished when the people you are doing the work for say you are finished. You might hire a guy to do something for you and he might say well the job is practically finished but you know he still has a lot to do. The FRA still has to approve a lot of things. 0% of PTC has been implemented. The track work has not been completed. The signal work has not been completed. There’s a lot behind the scenes that needs to be addressed.

MusicMan

« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2018, 01:34:24 PM »
I'm not sure what your talking about. How do you run a train from Miami to WPB without the track work not complete? Who is your source of info? Do you live down there?  I rode it two weeks ago. It was amazing. Have you ridden it? If so, when? What line did you ride.?

Why are there 11 departures per day (from Miami northbound) if it is not "working"? Are they hiring little mules to pull it?

Watch the link I posted above. Actual riders commuting every day from WPB to Miami, and back!  It's definitely working.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2018, 02:59:39 PM »

Well I hope the process takes forever and they just settle on Jax.
If Jax is viable, they can do them simultaneously. Starting the process to Tampa and still being more than a year from Orlando opening is a good example.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Pottsburg

« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2018, 12:23:53 PM »
Rumor is they are going to select 3 different contractors to do all the work in the second phase. The major hiccup they had with phase one was one contractor (archer western) winning the bid, but had never worked a railroad project. They subbed everything out, and chased their tails on a lot of things, that they weren’t anticipating. Simple things like track protection for workers ended up costing them big bucks

Pottsburg

« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2018, 12:35:42 PM »
I'm not sure what your talking about. How do you run a train from Miami to WPB without the track work not complete? Who is your source of info? Do you live down there?  I rode it two weeks ago. It was amazing. Have you ridden it? If so, when? What line did you ride.?

Why are there 11 departures per day (from Miami northbound) if it is not "working"? Are they hiring little mules to pull it?

Watch the link I posted above. Actual riders commuting every day from WPB to Miami, and back!  It's definitely working.

Yes I have ridden the train and yes I live down here. The train can run fine right now, the track isn’t unsafe. There are over a hundred joints that need to be welded, they have 3 double crossovers that are currently pointlocked and need to be cut over. One of them still needs signals installed. All this is usually simple work but not when you’re running 20 trains a day. They try moving the work to night time but FEC runs all of it freight at night.  A little inside baseball there but believe me when I say they have a while.

tufsu1

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2018, 09:08:20 PM »

was just there on Thursday - I bet the southern end of the station is done by spring next year

Pottsburg

« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2018, 12:07:01 PM »
TheLakeLander question here. What if Grupo Mexico (FECs owners) bought the CSX track between orlando and Tampa?  Obviously they would have to upgrade the track but it gives them a path. I’m. It too familiar with that area. Maybe Brightline who is just a customer to FEC makes a deal with CSX like they did with FEC and pays to use their track.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2018, 12:26:53 PM »
CSX has never been interested in selling that line. It serves the state's largest port, several coal burning power plants and Mosiac's phosphate rock empire in Bone Valley. Give that up and they can pretty much get rid of everything south of Jax.

Also, Brightline isn't a FEC customer. I believe they co-own the tracks...or at least it was described that way when the FEC was sold.

Pottsburg

« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2018, 12:58:55 PM »
Direct quote from FEC ceo “Brightline is our customer and we will do everything we can to service them”.  Grupo splashed around a lot of money buying FEC. I know they had people highrail the Baldwin to Pensacola track for sale. I can’t get specific but they didn’t see eye to eye on a few things so the sale prob won’t happen. I’ve been told that Grupo wants to own the state of Florida, basically out a chokehold on it. Plus it’s a good place to put money with a not so friendly administration taking power in Mexico. Either way the future is bright for FEC.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2018, 01:39:57 PM »
Here's the quote from earlier this year I was referring too:

investment group also owns Florida East Coast Industries, the parent company of All Aboard Florida, developer and owner of the Brightlight passenger train system being built from Miami to West Palm Beach and Orlando.

“The sale of the Florida East Coast Railway does not impact Brightline,” said a spokeswoman, AnneMarie Mathews. “Brightline is a separate company that has dual ownership of the corridor and the right to operate passenger service.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/article141301728.html#storylink=cpy

The CSX A line into Tampa appears to be more significant in value to CSX than the line running through the Panhandle. It's a monopoly for providing rail service in the state's second largest metro, it's largest ports and all the phosphate mines and plants in Polk and Hardee Counties. With that in mind, CSX has rejected to seriously consider previous discussions about selling the line into Tampa east of Uceta Yard.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 01:41:46 PM by thelakelander »

Pottsburg

« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2018, 09:36:04 AM »

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/transportation/fl-reg-quiet-zone-delay-20180802-story.html

A lot of work still needs to be done. The main worry is will they wait to start the next phase of the project? The only thing that has started is laying the fiber. The track and signal construction keeps getting pushed. The longer the first phase goes over the tougher the road gets for Tampa or Jax.