Author Topic: CD rates  (Read 1035 times)

sanmarcomatt

• Mayor of The Donut District
CD rates
« on: June 13, 2018, 04:37:08 PM »
Just a quick fyi....Now that interest rates have been rising, if you are thinking of investing in CD's, you may notice that your financial institution is still offering pathetic rates.(shocker!)
 If you open a brokerage account, you can generally access many more products for *significantly*  better rates.(even if you don't have a large account balance).

remc86007

Re: CD rates
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 05:07:54 PM »
Thanks for the tip, but I switched to streaming a while ago since the bitrates there are high enough now and it takes up way less space.  ;)

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 05:18:23 PM »
Just a quick fyi....Now that interest rates have been rising, if you are thinking of investing in CD's, you may notice that your financial institution is still offering pathetic rates.(shocker!)
 If you open a brokerage account, you can generally access many more products for *significantly*  better rates.(even if you don't have a large account balance).

No one buys CDs anymore, granddad.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 05:31:09 PM »
Are these jokes? Is this poor people humor?

Kerry

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 05:43:14 PM »
I went back to vinyl.
Third Place

Snaketoz

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 05:47:21 PM »
Last CD I bought was by Pink Floyd.  Wrong! It was Jesse Cook.  Bought it through my broker at TDAmeritrade.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 05:50:36 PM by Snaketoz »

Tacachale

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 11:06:00 AM »

No one buys CDs anymore, granddad.

Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Captain Zissou

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 02:54:36 PM »
What type of products and what type of rates? 

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 03:47:13 PM »
What type of products and what type of rates? 

For new issue CD's, the offerings will vary quite a bit depending on issuer, but as an example, this week, I was happy to add 1 month at 1.85 and 3 month at 2.05 to my short term cash ladder. Just for the heck of it ,I checked Vystar, and their rates are a still a joke, even for 100k plus.

for secondary listings and bonds, the list is virtually endless.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 03:52:38 PM by sanmarcomatt »

SusanUPWORK

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 02:29:37 PM »
I agree with this. The banks are clearly in collusion in that if nobody raises rates, they won't have to pay higher yields to compete for customers. There have been seven rate hikes over the a last 2+ years with the Fed's target rate hitting 2% last week. I logged into my Wells Fargo account a few months ago wondering if I was finally earning some interest. For the privilege of being in a "platinum savers" account, I was earning .03%. Their current 3 month CD rate is .05%, with the 3 month t-bill now yielding almost 2%, and Wells Fargo has passed none of that benefit along to it's customers. 

Agreed, open a brokerage account. I am finding 2.00%+ on 3 month CDs (20x higher than Wells Fargo) with no commission costs or fees, and 1.5% on fully liquid money market funds. The CD's are available in increments of $1,000. And I can do business without a teenager in his Dad's old suit trying to offer me "financial advice" that involves opening another crappy Wells Fargo accout.

I operate my business at this point almost completely without the need of a bank.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 02:31:33 PM by SusanUPWORK »
Available for professional editing and web design work through upwork.com or private message.

Kiva

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 08:54:03 PM »
Wells Fargo does not have their customers best interests at heart? Who knew? http://money.cnn.com/2018/04/20/news/companies/wells-fargo-regulators-auto-lending-fine/index.html

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 01:03:07 PM »
I agree with this. The banks are clearly in collusion in that if nobody raises rates, they won't have to pay higher yields to compete for customers. There have been seven rate hikes over the a last 2+ years with the Fed's target rate hitting 2% last week. I logged into my Wells Fargo account a few months ago wondering if I was finally earning some interest. For the privilege of being in a "platinum savers" account, I was earning .03%. Their current 3 month CD rate is .05%, with the 3 month t-bill now yielding almost 2%, and Wells Fargo has passed none of that benefit along to it's customers. 

Agreed, open a brokerage account. I am finding 2.00%+ on 3 month CDs (20x higher than Wells Fargo) with no commission costs or fees, and 1.5% on fully liquid money market funds. The CD's are available in increments of $1,000. And I can do business without a teenager in his Dad's old suit trying to offer me "financial advice" that involves opening another crappy Wells Fargo accout.

I operate my business at this point almost completely without the need of a bank.

Thank you Susan, for giving me some hope. I will take a wild guess and put you in the top 3% in financial IQ based upon that post alone.

Not that the reply jokes weren't timely,original and down right hilarious.Hold on a sec....getting the giggles again... CD....Compact disc....2018. Breathe. Just breathe. Ok.

But, I know I am a little serious when it comes to finance so let me try a joke as well. The last numbers I saw in May,  there were 9.2 trillion in various savings deposit accounts with Credit Unions and Banks..Ba ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. The rate of return? What rate of return?.Ba ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....

What? Don't get it? Or Not as funny as CD jokes?  Ok, let me try again...Did you hear the one about consumer debt levels?

* Edited for spelling.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:32:06 PM by sanmarcomatt »

Captain Zissou

« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 01:17:14 PM »
Where are these?  i have a brokerage account with USAA (just set it up when I got kicked off my parents' car insurance policy and haven't made another), but they don't offer rates even close to the ones you listed other than for terms of 5 years or greater.

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 01:22:56 PM »
Where are these?  i have a brokerage account with USAA (just set it up when I got kicked off my parents' car insurance policy and haven't made another), but they don't offer rates even close to the ones you listed other than for terms of 5 years or greater.

I don't have an account with them but when in your brokerage account...see if you have a Fixed Income section or screener. look for brokered Cds...

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 01:23:45 PM »
What? Don't get it? Or Not as funny as CD jokes?  Ok, let me try again...Did you here the one about consumer debt levels?

No, I didn't "here" that one. Do tell...

(You can go ahead and put me in the top 3% for homophone recognition IQ for my response).
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:25:18 PM by Adam White »
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”