Author Topic: Express Lanes coming to I-95 in St Johns County  (Read 626 times)

pierre

Express Lanes coming to I-95 in St Johns County
« on: June 12, 2018, 10:33:53 AM »
Had not seen this posted yet.

Not surprising at all.  The next decade will seem to be the decade of express lane construction.

http://news.wjct.org/post/i-95-toll-lanes-planning-stage-duval-st-johns-counties

The Florida Department of Transportation is moving toward adding express toll lanes on I-95 between the southern side of Interstate 295 in Duval County and International Golf Parkway in St. Johns County.

The plans call for adding two express lanes in each direction and using the SunPass toll system that's already used in much of Central and South Florida. The existing I-95 lanes would remain free.

FDOT’s plan calls for the new express lanes to connect to the future First Coast Expressway, which will also be a toll road along with County Road 210 and State Road 9B.

The project has an estimated $236 million price tag with construction expected to begin in 2023.

jax_hwy_engineer

Re: Express Lanes coming to I-95 in St Johns County
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 11:23:52 AM »
Yep, one portion of a network of widened freeways with toll lanes coming to the Jax area, as you can see in the map linked below:

http://northfloridaexpress.com/images/modal_map.gif

Kerry

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 04:47:33 PM »
FDOT said several years ago there will be no new free capacity built.
Third Place

jax_hwy_engineer

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 05:03:14 PM »
Yes, that's approximately what I've heard as well. At least in regards to freeway work (namely interstates) while I believe there may still be traditional widening projects on FL State Roads, but I am not sure.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 05:22:07 PM »
The FDOT policy changed, again, a year or so ago.  New lanes on Interstates (and other limited access highways) do not have to be tolled.  But, as noted above, these are part of a system.