Author Topic: The Sad State of Friendship Fountain  (Read 15263 times)

Adam White

• Facebook
Re: The Sad State of Friendship Fountain
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2018, 10:51:52 AM »
Lol - 'game changer'.  For what it's worth - I HATE that phrase.  It implies that the 'game' is to maintain the status quo, when the City should always be looking to improve.

I assume you know I was joking? I, too, hate that term. It's like we need to just throw a bunch of money on a big thing and it will revitalize downtown.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

sanmarcomatt

• Mayor of The Coffee District
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2018, 10:58:59 AM »

I am probably in the minority but to me it is a massive waste of space/money. When you have the St Johns river 50 feet away, not sure it is necessary to spend millions on the Taj Mahal  of water features.

Love me a good water feature, as long as it's properly maintained. Sadly, we don't seem to have the ability to do so.

Still think this new alcove created by the Coastline project is the perfect spot for a lit river fountain:

I like a water feature too just not one that costs millions especially in a city in which the only thing the government is good at is enriching themselves and their buddies.

I will gladly lose the friendship fountain (quite a tourist loss I am sure) in exchange for one in the alcove.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2018, 11:14:13 AM »
FWIW The Southbank Riverwalk seems to stay pretty busy.  I persoanlly dont care as much about the flashy lights and music, just make the fountain shoot water like it's supposed to.

Yeah, whenever I'm down there, there are always folks down at Friendship Fountain and Riverwalk. If it's something people already use, we may as well maintain and improve it.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

acme54321

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2018, 11:16:18 AM »
FWIW The Southbank Riverwalk seems to stay pretty busy.  I persoanlly dont care as much about the flashy lights and music, just make the fountain shoot water like it's supposed to.

Yeah, whenever I'm down there, there are always folks down at Friendship Fountain and Riverwalk. If it's something people already use, we may as well maintain and improve it.

Yeah we go down there multiple times a week.

Kerry

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2018, 11:23:53 AM »
Lol - 'game changer'.  For what it's worth - I HATE that phrase.  It implies that the 'game' is to maintain the status quo, when the City should always be looking to improve.

I assume you know I was joking? I, too, hate that term. It's like we need to just throw a bunch of money on a big thing and it will revitalize downtown.

I figured you were joking.  Jax doesn't have a problem coming up with "game changer" ideas or plans.  We have trouble actually doing them.  Just like the current crop of "great ideas are going to be made public soon" comments.  Every wheel has to be reinvented every damn time.  For once couldn't the next great idea be how to implement one of the existing great ideas already sitting on the shelf - or heck, just do something simple to create some momentum and get something in the Win column.  for example, a bike share program could be implemented at a low relative cost in 3 months.
Third Place

Charles Hunter

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2018, 11:29:20 AM »
About putting a fountain in the new "Court House Bay" - isn't it supposed to be a marina, or at least have docking around the edges?  A big-ol' fountain doesn't seem compatible with docking boats.

Kerry

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2018, 11:47:58 AM »
About putting a fountain in the new "Court House Bay" - isn't it supposed to be a marina, or at least have docking around the edges?  A big-ol' fountain doesn't seem compatible with docking boats.

Who would ever seen it anyhow?  it is between a parking garage, an abandoned building, and a blank hotel wall.  There isn't even green space for the homeless to enjoy it.
Third Place

Downtown Osprey

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2018, 03:13:37 PM »

I figured you were joking.  Jax doesn't have a problem coming up with "game changer" ideas or plans.  We have trouble actually doing them.  Just like the current crop of "great ideas are going to be made public soon" comments.  Every wheel has to be reinvented every damn time.  For once couldn't the next great idea be how to implement one of the existing great ideas already sitting on the shelf - or heck, just do something simple to create some momentum and get something in the Win column.  for example, a bike share program could be implemented at a low relative cost in 3 months.

I would argue we are in the process of doing a lot of these things already, it just doesn't get the love or news coverage it deserves. The Trio, FSCJ's new culinary program, Lavilla redevelopment and infill, UNF and JU presence downtown are all huge wins for the actual core of downtown. While we all argue about the Shipyards, the District, blah blah, there are a ton of great wins already in motion.

Kerry

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2018, 03:23:21 PM »
The Trio is a good one - thanks for the reminder.

I wish the Times-Union would spend more effort on downtown reporting instead of just repackaging NYT, Washington Post, and AP stories about how much Trump sucks.

Here is the Live Chat transcript from last Friday in the OKC paper.  I would kill for something similar here.

https://newsok.com/article/5597463/okc-central-chat-with-steve-lackmeyer

Tommy Biggs said:
Anything OKC has that Austin is lacking or needs?

Steve Lackmeyer replied:
In all seriousness, hard to believe if I didn't see and hear and observe this directly.... a leadership that supports and embraces urban density. What is happening in downtown Austin is in spite of its leadership!

Sounds like Jax.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 03:35:24 PM by Kerry »
Third Place

mtraininjax

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2018, 12:24:59 PM »
Follow the TU reporters on Twitter, they have much better insight with 280 characters than what you read daily in the TU.
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

KenFSU

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2018, 09:59:51 PM »
The Trio is a good one - thanks for the reminder.

I wish the Times-Union would spend more effort on downtown reporting instead of just repackaging NYT, Washington Post, and AP stories about how much Trump sucks.

1) Check out J Magazine, published by the T-U. Though I don't agree with every individual contribution, it's a really great downtown-centric quarterly.

2) Alternate solution. If Donald Trump wasn't such a horrible human being all the time, the T-U would have to cover something else  ;)

3) Remember how spectacular the fountain was for that brief period in 2013 when it was fully restored? A new addition to the fountain itself is being discussed that would make it even more spectacular (if properly maintained).

Kerry

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2018, 08:48:23 AM »
So can we find a way to blame Khan and the Jaguars? I mean it’s because of them downtown is in the state it Is!

Well, they do suck up a large portion of the bed tax which is supposed to go to things like Friendship Fountain also.
Third Place

Bativac

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2018, 11:53:37 PM »
3) Remember how spectacular the fountain was for that brief period in 2013 when it was fully restored? A new addition to the fountain itself is being discussed that would make it even more spectacular (if properly maintained).

"if properly maintained" .....LOL

The fountain was incredible when it was restored. I remember taking out of town guests there and we would marvel at it.

I think all of us know how "properly maintained" any additions to the fountain would be

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2018, 05:05:49 AM »

The fountain was incredible when it was restored. I remember taking out of town guests there and we would marvel at it.

Wow. Sounds like quite a night out.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2018, 07:34:14 AM »
So can we find a way to blame Khan and the Jaguars? I mean it’s because of them downtown is in the state it Is!

Well, they do suck up a large portion of the bed tax which is supposed to go to things like Friendship Fountain also.

Sorry but that's incorrect. Of the 6% bed tax in Duval: 2% is dedicated towards capital improvement/maintenance on sports facilities, 2% is dedicated to bond debt repayment for prior sports facilities capital improvements and 2% goes towards tourism-related efforts (something like 3/4 of which funds Visit Jacksonville).  Other Florida counties have a dedicated slice of the bed tax's pie going towards parks (those counties like say Walton or Sarasota also don't have 73,000 seat stadiums, 5,000 seat indoor/outdoor amphitheatres and 15,000 seat arenas)... but Duval does not. As the Duval bed tax is constructed (by ordinance), your favourite punching bag Khan is not 'stealing' money from Friendship Fountain.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 08:08:14 AM by fieldafm »