Author Topic: Florida's Largest Cities Ranked by 2017 Population  (Read 1846 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Florida's Largest Cities Ranked by 2017 Population
« on: May 24, 2018, 09:55:02 PM »
Florida's Largest Cities Ranked by 2017 Population

The Census Bureau recently released their 2017 estimates for the country's largest cities. Here's a look at the latest numbers and rank of Florida's largest cities.  

Read More: https://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2018-may-floridas-largest-cities-ranked-by-2017-population

Kerry

Re: Florida's Largest Cities Ranked by 2017 Population
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 07:31:30 AM »
Someone might get the impression Jax is bigger that Miami, Tampa, and Orlando combined.
Third Place

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 07:57:10 AM »
Technically it almost is. As a city, it covers more land and has a larger population. However, it's pretty small when it comes to urban and metro area population.  You can get this feeling by adding up the populations of the cities in the South Florida and Tampa Bay areas on this list. It gets crazier if you see the list of cities in the 99 to 85k range in South Florida.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Kerry

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 09:24:29 AM »
These lists are really only good for comparing a single city across time, and not comparing one city to another.  And yes, Jacksonville covers a lot of land, but 75% of it is unoccupied.
Third Place

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 10:51:24 AM »
If one wants to compare apples to apples, the only list really worth looking at is the urban area list. However, it only comes out once every 10 years. So we have two more years to go.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 11:00:26 AM »
This list is good for comparing the municipal governments and the population size they're responsible for. The Mayor of Jax is a bigger job than the Mayor of Miami, as "Miami" is split among many municipal and county governments. It's also good for showing things like, holy shit does San Francisco need more housing.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Kerry

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 12:05:16 PM »
This list is good for comparing the municipal governments and the population size they're responsible for. The Mayor of Jax is a bigger job than the Mayor of Miami...

That all depends on the type of municipal government they have.  A lot of cities (like Miami) have City Managers and the Mayor is a figurehead.  On a side note - Jax not having a City Manager is one of the reasons nothing ever gets done here- but I digress.
Third Place

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 12:29:16 PM »
This list is good for comparing the municipal governments and the population size they're responsible for. The Mayor of Jax is a bigger job than the Mayor of Miami...

That all depends on the type of municipal government they have.  A lot of cities (like Miami) have City Managers and the Mayor is a figurehead.  On a side note - Jax not having a City Manager is one of the reasons nothing ever gets done here- but I digress.

Fine, the mayor of Jax is a bigger job than either the mayor or city manager of Miami. As for city managers, Miami is certainly not an example of a city where that system works very well.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Kerry

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 12:43:19 PM »
As for city managers, Miami is certainly not an example of a city where that system works very well.

I guess it all depends on what type of city one wants.  I think it is working pretty well for them.
Third Place

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 01:14:48 PM »

You are 100% correct with your "digression".  Every new ELECTED leader implements his grand pie-in-the-sky and a few years later, they do it all over again.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 01:20:59 PM »
As for city managers, Miami is certainly not an example of a city where that system works very well.

I guess it all depends on what type of city one wants.  I think it is working pretty well for them.

LOL, I take it that you're not familiar with Miami's city government. The positive things happening in Miami have little to do with their wonky government. The city manager reports to the mayor and changes as often as they do. The position is mostly a CAO (which Jax also has).

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT)
    • Music and Personal Info Website
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 04:32:43 PM »
Since we're talking population here, urban and/or metro relative or even specific if we examine more closely, I just wonder what Jax's population would be if we had not consolidated; close to Tampa's? Little more than Orlando but still below Tampa and Miami's? I would figure we would have annexed quite a bit of areas and additional neighborhoods. A lot of population close in near the river but away from the urban core and metro area. Who can give a figure? Without counting people in zip codes, let me take a stabbing guess, strictly a guess; 325,000?
DONATE TODAY TO HELP ALL WHO ARE IN NEED BY CLICKING HERE ON MY MUSIC WEBISTE: http://HTTP://WWW.REVERBNATION.COM/COSTON; ALL PURCHASES ARE DONATIONS TO HELP ALL OF THOSE WHO ARE NEEDY, UNDERPRIVILEGED AND DISADVANTAGED.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 04:42:43 PM »
Since we're talking population here, urban and/or metro relative or even specific if we examine more closely, I just wonder what Jax's population would be if we had not consolidated; close to Tampa's? Little more than Orlando but still below Tampa and Miami's? I would figure we would have annexed quite a bit of areas and additional neighborhoods. A lot of population close in near the river but away from the urban core and metro area. Who can give a figure? Without counting people in zip codes, let me take a stabbing guess, strictly a guess; 325,000?

Hard to say. The Old City has something like 112k people in it, which is *much* smaller than those other cities, and smaller than Tallahassee, Gainesville, and Port St. Lucie. However, most cities in Florida annexed a lot of the surrounding area, and Jax would almost certainly have done the same if we hadn't consolidated. So it's hard to say what the population would be, not know what if anything would have been annexed.

Redbaron616

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 06:48:20 PM »
The problem with city managers is that it is someone who is not elected and so not responsive to voters, not to mention paid extremely well.

Fine, the mayor of Jax is a bigger job than either the mayor or city manager of Miami. As for city managers, Miami is certainly not an example of a city where that system works very well.

Kerry

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2018, 07:01:53 PM »
The problem with city managers is that it is someone who is not elected and so not responsive to voters, not to mention paid extremely well.

That isn't a 'problem', it is the primary benefit.  The City Manager can be fired at any time by 50% of the City Council.
Third Place