Author Topic: Southbank's Home Street apartment project to break ground in June  (Read 1898 times)

Captain Zissou

Re: Southbank's Home Street apartment project to break ground in June
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 09:18:32 AM »
Good stuff.  Glad to see this moving forward but sad to see all of the huge oaks that are going to be taken down.  We walked down home street the other day and I could only imagine how it looked a hundred years ago lined with homes and those oaks freshly planted.  If that neighborhood had survived in tact it would have been a gem now.

If it goes to plan I wouldn't be surprised if move in here before Broadstone Riverhouse ;D

I'm just the opposite. Glad to see fewer oaks, hopefully in favor of more palm trees. Though oaks contribute to tree canopy, they are not very aesthetic and don't fit the urban (or Floridian ) context the way palms do.

Is this a joke?

Josh

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018, 10:16:04 AM »
Good stuff.  Glad to see this moving forward but sad to see all of the huge oaks that are going to be taken down.  We walked down home street the other day and I could only imagine how it looked a hundred years ago lined with homes and those oaks freshly planted.  If that neighborhood had survived in tact it would have been a gem now.

If it goes to plan I wouldn't be surprised if move in here before Broadstone Riverhouse ;D

I'm just the opposite. Glad to see fewer oaks, hopefully in favor of more palm trees. Though oaks contribute to tree canopy, they are not very aesthetic and don't fit the urban (or Floridian ) context the way palms do.

Is this a joke?

You'd think so, but I don't think they are joking.

https://www.metrojacksonville.com/forum/index.php/topic,34497.msg481054.html#msg481054

acme54321

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2018, 10:18:03 AM »
He's right, I've come to my senses.  Oaks are stupid.  Shade is stupid.  Pollen is stupid.  We need to be more like Miami, they have it going on down there.  Livin la vida loca!! 

jaxnyc79

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2018, 12:27:33 PM »

I'm just the opposite. Glad to see fewer oaks, hopefully in favor of more palm trees. Though oaks contribute to tree canopy, they are not very aesthetic and don't fit the urban (or Floridian ) context the way palms do. But, also glad to see the project moving forward, though I think it needs to be taller, being visible from I-95.

With all due respect, in my opinion, your obsession with palm trees over oak trees is misguided - I feel I've seen this from you on many threads.  Oaks are critically important, have heft, are statuesque, ramify in splendid fashion (in the case of live oaks), and don't have to fit whatever you believe to be a Floridian context because they're a local feature and core city Jax should be all about playing up its individual virtue. 

Speaking of activating our Streetscapes, I'd love nothing more than for Jax to have a long pedestrian Boulevard, Downtown, lined with active uses, while recreating "Avenues of Southern Live Oaks" that one can often find on old, antebellum plantations.  Does anyone know if such "Avenues of Live Oaks" exist in any downtowns?  I've seen photos of many of them on Southern Plantation tours.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercus_virginiana#/media/File:Oak_alley_-_view_from_front.jpg

« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 01:00:24 PM by jaxnyc79 »

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2018, 12:52:31 PM »
Monument Ave in Richmond

DrQue

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2018, 03:21:52 PM »
In Florida of all places, I don't know why you would not want the abundant shade provided by oak tress. Take a step outside right now and spend five minutes in the sun and five in the shade. Which environment will lure more people onto the sidewalk to create a more active urban environment?

jax_hwy_engineer

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2018, 04:54:00 PM »
In Florida of all places, I don't know why you would not want the abundant shade provided by oak tress. Take a step outside right now and spend five minutes in the sun and five in the shade. Which environment will lure more people onto the sidewalk to create a more active urban environment?

you make an excellent point. I was just walking around my office (today is a relatively mild day) and standing under one of the thick-canopied trees we have here on this office's campus was refreshing to boot. the sun is almost ALWAYS blazing here in FL, even if it's not too hot, shadetrees are a real blessing on those hot days...