Author Topic: Urban Construction Update - May 2018  (Read 1695 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Urban Construction Update - May 2018
« on: May 21, 2018, 12:00:02 AM »
Urban Construction Update - May 2018

Major construction projects have returned to the landscape of Jacksonville's urban core. Find out where (and more) as we take a brief look at the status of various developments under construction in and around Downtown Jacksonville during May 2018.

Read More: https://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2018-may-urban-construction-update-may-2018

ProjectMaximus

Re: Urban Construction Update - May 2018
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 01:28:06 AM »
El Jefe should be opening shortly. They've had a few private tastings already.

Bill Hoff

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 07:40:44 PM »
The Drew Mansion is actively being renovated now. Construction permit approved, scaffolding is up, workers present : )

acme54321

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 10:13:11 PM »
Glad to see that cool old industrial building being rehabbed for the soccer place!

Captain Zissou

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 03:04:43 PM »
Anybody else think the new MD Anderson hospital is way too busy looking?  Too many textured walls for my taste.

I'm excited about the soccer fields, but not sure I understand how that's going to work.

remc86007

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 03:17:14 PM »
^ I agree with you on the textured walls. I think it would look better now and age better if they were flat.

jaxjags

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 03:17:54 PM »
Anybody else think the new MD Anderson hospital is way too busy looking?  Too many textured walls for my taste.

I'm excited about the soccer fields, but not sure I understand how that's going to work.

As to MD Anderson, perhaps it is, but compared to the boring designs normally done in JAX, I'll take it. If you drive by the garage the perforated metal wall is pretty interesting. Better than what I believe you will get with the Trio garage.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 04:38:53 PM »

As to MD Anderson, perhaps it is, but compared to the boring designs normally done in JAX, I'll take it. If you drive by the garage the perforated metal wall is pretty interesting. Better than what I believe you will get with the Trio garage.

I agree that it's better than nothing, but they just took it about 20% too far.  If the bulk of the sides were flat and it had the metal accent walls, tiles around the windows, etc... that would be nice.  As it is, the whole place is one big accent wall.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 05:22:03 PM »
I think you must be in shock from the lack of Jacksonville Beige stucco.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Tacachale

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 05:33:49 PM »
I like MD Anderson. Much better than I was expecting for a Baptist hospital building.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

KenFSU

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 01:22:05 PM »
Refurb rather than new construction, but I just walked by the Landing and there's major construction going on at Hooters.

Restaurant looks closed for remodeling for the foreseeable future (during Jazz Fest, no less).

Saw them unpacking new furniture, looks nice.

At least someone is investing money in the Landing :D
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

JBTripper

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 02:09:33 PM »

Sort of makes one wonder why our healthcare costs are so out of control when the physician parking garage is adorned with a perforated metal wall on one side and a mosaic art installation on the other. /s

marcuscnelson

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 05:57:01 PM »
Refurb rather than new construction, but I just walked by the Landing and there's major construction going on at Hooters.

Restaurant looks closed for remodeling for the foreseeable future (during Jazz Fest, no less).

Is this what Sleiman giving up and signing long-term contracts looks like?

Sort of makes one wonder why our healthcare costs are so out of control when the physician parking garage is adorned with a perforated metal wall on one side and a mosaic art installation on the other. /s

But privatized health care can never be as good as the government, right? Government always fails, doesn't it? /s

Keep in mind that the Department of Health and Human Services is housed here:

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 06:11:25 PM »

Is this what Sleiman giving up and signing long-term contracts looks like?

Probably. Hooters wanted to renovate a while back. However, their plans were on hold because of indecision on if the building would be demolished as a part of a plan to raze and rebuild the Landing.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

KenFSU

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 08:28:41 PM »
Here's what she looked like today:

Also, Sleiman ain't no angel, but the city probably shouldn't complain about him not wanting to play ball when they've left the Landing's docks in this state since Matthew in 2016:

Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/