Author Topic: Plans for Jones Brothers Furniture lofts released  (Read 5139 times)

jaxnyc79

Re: Plans for Jones Brothers Furniture lofts released
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2018, 10:33:02 AM »
The District won't be built all at once. The Jones Bros. project will have retail and office uses in addition to residential. Retail follows rooftops, so putting another 28 units will help draw more. It also is building upon what is already going on with Sweet Pete's.  The pioneer projects need more subsidy than the ones that will come in it's wake.  $750 k will be paid back also.

It also puts a city owned property on the tax rolls.

Yes, I saw the reference to 1000+ square feet of office and 10,000+ square feet or retail.  It's not that the project isn't a good one; after all, anything to help clean up downtown is positive.  My concern was that the dollar amount of incentives seemed rich for the output, and the output is so small that it does little to re-brand downtown and significantly change the experience down there for an outsider checking it out and looking to form an impression.  Frankly, I feel the new Arts District does a ton more to re-brand downtown and create interesting engagements for outsiders, and it's a fraction of the cost.  But I'm not sure of the exact nature of the incentives either, like what what form does the 2.37 million bucks take.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 10:36:29 AM by jaxnyc79 »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2018, 10:36:13 AM »
Also, I believe we have to look at the smaller projects in a different light. Take the land area a project like the Shipyards or District covers and compare it to a similar area over the Northbank. Then add up all the smaller infill, adaptive reuse, etc. projects proposed or under construction within that area. I think we'd discover they bring just as much energy, value, mix of uses, etc. The largest differences are they're likely to happen sooner, immediately impact/boost the image of the pedestrian scale core and add more creativity into the scene because they're made up of different development teams.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Gunnar

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2018, 11:47:21 AM »
So who is getting the money in the end ? Hionides / associated company or is this for someone who purchased the building from him ?
I want to live in a society where people can voice unpopular opinions because I know that as a result of that, a society grows and matures...” — Hugh Hefner

KenFSU

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2018, 10:17:12 AM »
New render and some additional details on potential plans for Jones Brothers, via the Daily Record (good article, give it a click - https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/downtown-visions-four-business-leaders-share-what-they-believe-the-urban-core-needs).

Interesting note is that the National Park Service has requested that the Jones Brother signage remain as is, and not be redone or repainted.

We’re working Downtown on the seven-story Jones Brothers Furniture redevelopment and the adjacent one-story Western Union building. The historic 39,000-square-foot Jones Brothers Building was built in 1926. Both are being converted.

The project is on the north side of Downtown at Church and Hogan streets, catty-corner to City Hall.

Jones Brothers is going to be a 28-unit apartment building with a first-floor lobby and 2,500 square feet of retail and office. Five units will be workforce housing for those making up to 80 percent of the annual average median income in Duval County. The rest are market rate.

The Western Union Building is about 10,000 square feet. The entire building will be used for retail and office. It’s a one-story building with the height of a two-story building, which allows us the ability to put in mezzanine levels or to have different heights for certain tenants. We see it really adding to the vibrancy of this side of Downtown.

In the back, we’ve got 36 parking spaces for the residents and business component.

The project uses federal historic tax credits. Aundra Wallace helped us get incentives from the city from the Historic Preservation Trust Fund as well as a low-interest loan from the Downtown Investment Authority.

We are preserving the original Jones Brothers Furniture signage that the National Park Service wants to see. They don’t want it repainted. They don’t want it messed with. We do intend to light up Jones Brothers in tube lighting. We want to bring back that vintage feel.

Jones Brothers is in an area of Downtown that potentially has the largest amount of historic building stock that is vacant. We’re going to work on rebranding the area as The North End and we want to try and promote this as a catalyst. The Ambassador Hotel was recently acquired. We’ve been talking with them about this branding effort and we want Jones Brothers to be the centerpiece and hopefully act to bring new development, bring new life and bring retailers and businesses to the area.

It’s an opportunity for this side of Downtown with the historic building stock. We can create a great fabric that feels very “Jacksonville,” with the potential for 400-500 residential units in a three-block area that essentially is noncontributing now.

We’re trying to work in a team effort to make this area of Downtown Jacksonville vibrant and filled with residents because the density is what we’ve got to drive home Downtown and across the urban core to help bring and sustain our commercial tenants for the long term.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2018, 10:47:03 AM »
This. Is. Awesome.

This is exactly the type of thing we need. Shipyards be damned.

acme54321

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2018, 10:56:44 AM »
Interesting note is that the National Park Service has requested that the Jones Brother signage remain as is, and not be redone or repainted.

But they seem to be ok with the developer installing neon lights over it...  :o

vicupstate

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2018, 11:38:13 AM »
We’re trying to work in a team effort to make this area of Downtown Jacksonville vibrant and filled with residents because the density is what we’ve got to drive home Downtown and across the urban core to help bring and sustain our commercial tenants for the long term.

Crazy talk.  Instead, they should try to get an economy of scale discount with the vendor doing the City Hall Annex/Courthouse demolition.  Vacant parcels that are 'game changer ready' are the keys to success for urban vitality.  For good measure, leave some scabby foundation remnants.       
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Downtown Osprey

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2018, 02:39:21 PM »
"Jones Brothers is in an area of Downtown that potentially has the largest amount of historic building stock that is vacant. We’re going to work on rebranding the area as The North End and we want to try and promote this as a catalyst. The Ambassador Hotel was recently acquired. We’ve been talking with them about this branding effort and we want Jones Brothers to be the centerpiece and hopefully act to bring new development, bring new life and bring retailers and businesses to the area."

This is how it's done ladies and gentlemen.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2018, 03:18:40 PM »
"Jones Brothers is in an area of Downtown that potentially has the largest amount of historic building stock that is vacant. We’re going to work on rebranding the area as The North End and we want to try and promote this as a catalyst. The Ambassador Hotel was recently acquired. We’ve been talking with them about this branding effort and we want Jones Brothers to be the centerpiece and hopefully act to bring new development, bring new life and bring retailers and businesses to the area."

By trying to 'brand' a three block stretch, in the heart of downtown, into some new neighborhood?  Not to be a Debbie Downer, and personally know the people involved with these two projects and am rooting for them to no end, but I fail to see the need to create some fake neighborhood in an area of town that has existed since the Cowford days.

That said, the tenant mix they are looking to recruit is pretty well thought out... so their overall strategy is solid (except for the completely unnecessary name).  Also find it ironic that a mural is being put up on the existing two-story building, that will ultimately be replaced according to these plans (which very smartly show floor to ceiling windows at ground level).

RatTownRyan

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2018, 04:23:20 PM »

By trying to 'brand' a three block stretch, in the heart of downtown, into some new neighborhood?  Not to be a Debbie Downer, and personally know the people involved with these two projects and am rooting for them to no end, but I fail to see the need to create some fake neighborhood in an area of town that has existed since the Cowford days.

That said, the tenant mix they are looking to recruit is pretty well thought out... so their overall strategy is solid (except for the completely unnecessary name).  Also find it ironic that a mural is being put up on the existing two-story building, that will ultimately be replaced according to these plans (which very smartly show floor to ceiling windows at ground level).

Whats the difference between doing this and other areas that are trying to be unique pockets of downtown? The Elbow and the Cathederal district being two that stand out. I could see in the future if commuter trains come back to the prime ozborn that the area around could be rebranded to Railroad row once again.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2018, 05:12:16 PM »

Whats the difference between doing this and other areas that are trying to be unique pockets of downtown? The Elbow and the Cathederal district being two that stand out. I could see in the future if commuter trains come back to the prime ozborn that the area around could be rebranded to Railroad row once again.

It's one thing when it's organic. Both the Elbow and Cathedral District were in use before the marketing pushes that called them that. And the Cathedral District is much bigger than three blocks.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

JaGoaT

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2018, 01:09:32 AM »
“The North End” decent name but the idea behind it is to give areas of downtown an identity. I don’t see how anyone could be against giving areas of downtown nicknames. Every major city has names given to divisions of its CBD. There also the google maps aspect as well.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2018, 06:32:05 AM »
The Northbank isn't good enough? However, I'm not losing any sleep over it. Recently, someone asked me if I'd ever heard of the Rail Yard District. I was like yeah, that warehouse district (Honeymoon) has been there for well over a century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downtown_Jacksonville
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Captain Zissou

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2018, 09:20:29 AM »
It's one thing when it's organic. Both the Elbow and Cathedral District were in use before the marketing pushes that called them that. And the Cathedral District is much bigger than three blocks.

I don't know a single person that called it "the elbow" before or after the marketing push.  It was always "The Bay Street Bars". 

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2018, 11:03:50 AM »

I don't know a single person that called it "the elbow" before or after the marketing push.  It was always "The Bay Street Bars".

I was aware of the phrase well before the marketing push. I believe it started with the website that features (or used to feature) an events calendar in the bars in the area, if not before. Obviously, "The Elbow" is in use now or no one would understand what this thread was even talking about.

"The Elbow" is also memorable. "The North End" could refer to virtually anywhere. In fact, I had to scroll back up to remember what the phrase was.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?