Author Topic: Plans for Jones Brothers Furniture lofts released  (Read 3791 times)

MusicMan

Re: Plans for Jones Brothers Furniture lofts released
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 03:52:21 PM »
Sorry, I hijacked the thread.

Just drove past it, not a big building. Would want more sq feet for my pool hall....

lastdaysoffla

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 09:59:53 PM »
Looks great. I'm hoping that "coffee shop" is just a placeholder idea, though. The core needs diversity in food & drink options almost as much as it needs residential space.

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT)
    • Music and Personal Info Website
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 10:44:20 PM »
Looks great. I'm hoping that "coffee shop" is just a placeholder idea, though. The core needs diversity in food & drink options almost as much as it needs residential space.
I agree; how many dog gone coffee shops can you have? That's gonna play out real quick if there's too many.
DONATE TODAY TO HELP ALL WHO ARE IN NEED BY CLICKING HERE ON MY MUSIC WEBISTE: http://HTTP://WWW.REVERBNATION.COM/COSTON; ALL PURCHASES ARE DONATIONS TO HELP ALL OF THOSE WHO ARE NEEDY, UNDERPRIVILEGED AND DISADVANTAGED.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2018, 06:32:40 AM »
You'll be amazed. In Philly, it feels like there's a Dunkin Donuts on every other block. In Seattle, it feels like there's a Starbucks on every other block. In Asheville, it feels like there's a craft brewery on every other block. Ultimately, the market will decide what's our saturation point.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.ā€ - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2018, 06:53:48 AM »
Lake is there a photographic record of Genovar's Hall from back in the day? Something that could be drawn upon when the restoration begins?

Here's a pic from the early 1990s.

Saw a similiar building in Pilsen (Chicago) earlier this week:

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.ā€ - Muhammad Ali

heights unknown

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2018, 11:07:50 PM »
You'll be amazed. In Philly, it feels like there's a Dunkin Donuts on every other block. In Seattle, it feels like there's a Starbucks on every other block. In Asheville, it feels like there's a craft brewery on every other block. Ultimately, the market will decide what's our saturation point.
In all due respect, in Jacksonville there will be a parking garage on every other block, with a coffee shop on the ground floor, and a coffee shop on the ground floor of just about all other businesses. In my opinion, Jacksonville is not really a "coffee shop" city like seattle or philly. We should strive to utilize our own identity, our southern identity and roots, i.e., maybe a few small diners that not only serve coffee, but breakfast...I think that's the southern, north florida way. (just shooting off here...never mind me please).
DONATE TODAY TO HELP ALL WHO ARE IN NEED BY CLICKING HERE ON MY MUSIC WEBISTE: http://HTTP://WWW.REVERBNATION.COM/COSTON; ALL PURCHASES ARE DONATIONS TO HELP ALL OF THOSE WHO ARE NEEDY, UNDERPRIVILEGED AND DISADVANTAGED.

heights unknown

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2018, 11:10:27 PM »
Lake is there a photographic record of Genovar's Hall from back in the day? Something that could be drawn upon when the restoration begins?

Here's a pic from the early 1990s.

Saw a similiar building in Pilsen (Chicago) earlier this week:

Damn, it's almost identical. I wonder if it was the same architect and maybe we got that design (someone did maybe) from Chicago. WOW.

Jagsdrew

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2018, 08:27:28 AM »
DDRB gave conception approval last night for the Jones Brothers building yesterday. Progress!
Twitter: @Jagsdrew

jaxnyc79

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2018, 12:28:32 AM »
Incentive package approved:

http://www.jacksonville.com/news/20180827/jones-bros-building-restoration-and-malivai-foundation-teen-center-approved-by-city-committee

2.37 million for 28 apartments seems rich, to say the least.  How I wish something like "The District" could have been incentivized in the Northbank core...bringing a sizable chunk of residential at the same time as retail and entertainment and commercial space...a simultaneous mixed-use clustering...a ball of energy to other downtown endeavors.  It's nice that Jones is coming back, but based on a recent walk through the downtown core, it really is not an appealing place to be.  Something needs to come online that sort of fills a multitude of voids all at once.  Once there's more allure to being downtown, renovations like Jones can happen without as much investment per unit.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 12:31:10 AM by jaxnyc79 »

vicupstate

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2018, 08:17:43 AM »
The District won't be built all at once. The Jones Bros. project will have retail and office uses in addition to residential. Retail follows rooftops, so putting another 28 units will help draw more. It also is building upon what is already going on with Sweet Pete's.  The pioneer projects need more subsidy than the ones that will come in it's wake.  $750 k will be paid back also.

It also puts a city owned property on the tax rolls.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 08:19:18 AM by vicupstate »
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2018, 09:10:24 AM »
Plus, historic rehabs are important to me. Iā€™m willing to spend a little more on them.

KenFSU

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2018, 09:22:31 AM »

http://www.jacksonville.com/news/20180827/jones-bros-building-restoration-and-malivai-foundation-teen-center-approved-by-city-committee

2.37 million for 28 apartments seems rich, to say the least.  How I wish something like "The District" could have been incentivized in the Northbank core...bringing a sizable chunk of residential at the same time as retail and entertainment and commercial space...a simultaneous mixed-use clustering...a ball of energy to other downtown endeavors.  It's nice that Jones is coming back, but based on a recent walk through the downtown core, it really is not an appealing place to be.  Something needs to come online that sort of fills a multitude of voids all at once.  Once there's more allure to being downtown, renovations like Jones can happen without as much investment per unit.

The article notes that $1.5 million of the incentives package comes in the form of a historic preservation grant.

Could be wrong, but I think that money would come from the state, rather than the city.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2018, 10:01:53 AM »

The District, like any project of that scope, will not happen 'at once'. Generally, developments like The District usually take 15-20 years to achieve full build out. In the case of The District, it took the developer over 3 years to get through the entitlement process and to purchase the property. They still have to form a CDD before they can break ground on the infrastructure that will serve the development. I'd be surprised if vertical construction doesn't start until 2020 at the absolute earliest.

jaxnyc79

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2018, 10:30:48 AM »

The District, like any project of that scope, will not happen 'at once'. Generally, developments like The District usually take 15-20 years to achieve full build out. In the case of The District, it took the developer over 3 years to get through the entitlement process and to purchase the property. They still have to form a CDD before they can break ground on the infrastructure that will serve the development. I'd be surprised if vertical construction doesn't start until 2020 at the absolute earliest.

Yes, I understand build-out will take time, and I referenced something like the District because of its mixed-use nature with over 1000 units across phases - not necessarily whatever it is that Elements is up to in taking years to actually purchase the land.