Author Topic: Exploring White Oak Conservation  (Read 1012 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Exploring White Oak Conservation
« on: May 09, 2018, 06:35:02 AM »
Exploring White Oak Conservation

Located on the banks of the St. Marys River in Nassau County, White Oak Conservation is an internationally known premiere wildlife conservation facility 30 miles north of Jacksonville. The facility, which encompasses 700 of 16,000 acres on White Oak Plantation, was originally established by philanthropist Howard Gilman in 1982.

Read More: https://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2018-may-exploring-white-oak-conservation

blizz01

Re: Exploring White Oak Conservation
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 10:40:18 AM »
This place is a gem.  Got to see the cheetahs run last year.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
Re: Exploring White Oak Conservation
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 06:14:53 PM »
I've known about White Oak since shortly after moving to Jax in '99.  I didn't realize until this article came out that it was even open to the general public.  Apparently something that happened shortly after the new ownership took over in 2013.

I finished up the horseback tour today and I've gotta say it was really cool. 

We rode horses around their massive white rhino enclosures and by some of the deer-type animals.  Followed by meeting a white rhino face to face and talking with one of the rhino handlers - who's been working with these rhinos for over 20 years.

Then there was a box lunch, followed by a personal tour (in an open van) of the other enclosures. 

Every species on property is on the endangered list (except for the cape buffalo which are only there because the owner likes them) and they have the largest population of a couple species in the world.  They also house a species of deer (can't remember the name) that are extinct in the wild. 

The tour is a bit pricey ($400 for 2), but the money goes to a good cause and if you're at all interested in animal conservation, I'd highly recommend it.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams