Author Topic: Updated renderings for JTA's transit center  (Read 1522 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Updated renderings for JTA's transit center
« on: April 19, 2018, 06:30:01 AM »
Updated renderings for JTA's transit center

With the relocated Greyhound terminal nearing completion, the JTA is moving forward with the second phase of its long proposed Jacksonville Regional Transportation Center.

Read More: https://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2018-apr-updated-renderings-for-jtas-transit-center

KenFSU

Re: Updated renderings for JTA's transit center
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 09:30:41 AM »
Love the landscaping, though I'm a bit disappointed (but not entirely surprised) to see some of the more dramatic design elements removed.

In particular, I really liked the original design where the entire building was elevated, with a bus passthrough underneath, that nice sloping plaza, and the main entrance elevated to Skyway height.

Looks like everything is ground level now, with the buses passing behind the building.

KenFSU

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 04:35:31 PM »
Per the JBJ, the new design was approved by the DDRB.

The pedestrian bridge was not.

They called it an eyesore.

https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2018/04/20/downtown-housing-projects-gator-bowl-blvd-marquee.html

marcuscnelson

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 11:11:47 PM »
I can't help but feel disappointed.

The original concept was what we were all sold on. We proudly supported Pond not only because the building looked nice, but because of the stylish and urban manner in which the surrounding land was integrated. The way the busses traveled under the building and this great big gorgeous plaza stood in front as the centerpiece of a future transportation district, with a gorgeous pedestrian bridge that could (eventually) be expanded to Union Terminal. We supported Pond because that's what we wanted, and they presented it as if it was buildable.

And yet, now they're coming back, hat in hand and saying they can only half-ass what they promised this city. And we're supposed to just be okay with this?

arb

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 02:35:53 AM »
I honestly don't mind the new design update. The Skyway Plaza area is still elevated with a public sitting area.

mtraininjax

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 08:35:05 AM »
Very Sad that they dumped the Pedestrian Bridge. We just returned from Europe and outside of Amsterdam there is this cool bridge with people's faces etched into the Steel that goes over the bridge. It was made for those who impacted the life in the City of Hoofddorp, where it is located. http://www.zja.nl/en/page/2339/steel-faces-bridges-hoofddorp.
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 11:30:56 PM »
I can see why the ped bridge was called an eyesore. Here's the most recent version. It's significantly valued engineered over what was shown originally during the conceptual planning phase.

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 11:31:54 PM »
Most recent version of the office building:

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

marcuscnelson

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 01:39:37 AM »
What the hell is this? For the love of God, don't tell me that taxpayers are spending $50 million on that. That can't actually be the most recent version? Or at least not the one they're building?

How could we go from this:

To this?

How could we go from "Gateway, Iconic, Catalyst" to "An office building from the 1980s, but bent?"

Was the original concept completely unbuildable?