Author Topic: Jaguars State of the Franchise 2018  (Read 33420 times)

pierre

Re: Jaguars State of the Franchise 2018
« Reply #390 on: October 24, 2018, 12:01:53 PM »
My guess - Khan has worked out a relocation package that doesn't require him to own the stadium.  Team is winning - offer to buy stadium withdrawn - team loses.  Coincidence?

Please tell me you don't believe this. If you seriously do, I'd suggest calling the FBI. Given the amount of money that's gambled on professional sports in multiple states, if you have reason to believe the Jaguars are throwing games (or at least trying to lose a la the Cleveland Indians in Major League) then you should report that as a crime.

No I don't actually believe it.  But it does make one wonder how teams can be perpetually bad.

It's not that complicated. It's a QB driven league. If you have a good quarterback, you will be competitive. See Green Bay, New Orleans and New England for the past decade plus.

You may catch lightning in a bottle like the Eagles and Jags did last year where your defense plays at an elite level and your quarterback is good in stretches. But reality sets in at a point.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #391 on: October 24, 2018, 01:23:58 PM »
My guess - Khan has worked out a relocation package that doesn't require him to own the stadium.  Team is winning - offer to buy stadium withdrawn - team loses.  Coincidence?

Please tell me you don't believe this. If you seriously do, I'd suggest calling the FBI. Given the amount of money that's gambled on professional sports in multiple states, if you have reason to believe the Jaguars are throwing games (or at least trying to lose a la the Cleveland Indians in Major League) then you should report that as a crime.

No I don't actually believe it.  But it does make one wonder how teams can be perpetually bad.

Please meet the Cleveland Browns, the Green Bay Packers between 1969 and 1992, and many other teams. The Jaguars run of awfulness since 2008 is FAR from record setting.

pierre

« Reply #392 on: October 24, 2018, 01:37:10 PM »

Please meet the Cleveland Browns, the Green Bay Packers between 1969 and 1992, and many other teams. The Jaguars run of awfulness since 2008 is FAR from record setting.

The Jaguars are struggling in 2018 and have as many wins (3) as the Browns have had since the end of the 2015 season.

Even better. Since Thanksgiving of 2014, the Browns have 6 wins. They are 6-53-1.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 01:42:31 PM by pierre »

KenFSU

« Reply #393 on: November 12, 2018, 10:48:08 AM »
Not sure what the implications are, but apparently the city is rezoning the entire Shipyards/Met Park/Lot J area as "central business district."

Details from the Daily Record this morning:

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/city-wants-to-rezone-shipyards-property

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT)
    • Music and Personal Info Website
« Reply #394 on: November 12, 2018, 03:38:51 PM »
Not sure what the implications are, but apparently the city is rezoning the entire Shipyards/Met Park/Lot J area as "central business district."

Details from the Daily Record this morning:

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/city-wants-to-rezone-shipyards-property
Wow! Busy busy busy!! Let's get a move on now before we all are incinerated. There's no guarantee for the future. Love what I am seeing going on in the urban core/downtown Jax.
DONATE TODAY TO HELP ALL WHO ARE IN NEED BY CLICKING HERE ON MY MUSIC WEBISTE: http://HTTP://WWW.REVERBNATION.COM/COSTON; ALL PURCHASES ARE DONATIONS TO HELP ALL OF THOSE WHO ARE NEEDY, UNDERPRIVILEGED AND DISADVANTAGED.

Kerry

« Reply #395 on: November 13, 2018, 07:26:47 AM »
The City should take this opportunity to scrap segregated zoning completely and start implementing a Smart Code.  Regulate the physical realm, not the uses.

http://smartcodecentral.com
Third Place

JaGoaT

« Reply #396 on: November 13, 2018, 11:40:19 PM »
That area will be unrecognizable in 10 years! Very exciting!

downtownbrown

« Reply #397 on: November 14, 2018, 01:28:35 PM »
that's what they said 10 years ago...

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #398 on: November 16, 2018, 12:55:01 AM »
Jaguars were not involved 10 years ago  ::)

Kerry

« Reply #399 on: November 28, 2018, 07:22:15 PM »
The Oakland As are going to fund their own new stadium and adjacent development.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/matier-ross/article/A-s-propose-jewel-box-ballpark-for-13426272.php#photo-16564500
Third Place

KenFSU

« Reply #400 on: December 03, 2018, 02:02:44 PM »
Based on a couple of things that I've heard in the last week or two, I'm lowering my betting odds from a near lock that JEA ends up at Lot J, to a 50/50 toss-up.

Fingers crossed that saner heads prevail.

vicupstate

« Reply #402 on: Today at 12:48:09 PM »
In fact, the city sent a letter to Scott’s office in May requesting that the state replace one of two census tracts located on the Westside that had been identified as an opportunity zones with one that included the sports entertainment district because it “includes the City’s stadium and is a linchpin to supporting Mayor Curry’s downtown redevelopment efforts.” The city wanted to replace the other Westside census tract with one that covers part of the St. Nicholas neighborhood as well as I-95 and Phillips Highway.

Perfect example of 'reverse Robin Hood' effect from federal tax legislation. Ostensibly done to help impoverished areas to attract new investment, certain tracts are selected to help the already wealthy.  This program has tremendous potential to reward the investor more than the residents of the selected area IMO. Plus it has much potential to accelerate or ignite gentrification.   
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #403 on: Today at 12:57:29 PM »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Charles Hunter

« Reply #404 on: Today at 02:06:36 PM »
Republicans put "help the poor" window dressing on a program that is welfare for the rich.