Author Topic: Jaguars State of the Franchise 2018  (Read 31491 times)

vicupstate

Re: Jaguars State of the Franchise 2018
« Reply #330 on: August 14, 2018, 12:55:33 PM »
Mark Lamping gave a talk this morning.

Here's what the Jags are going to be aggressively pushing for this fall:

1) An economic development agreement with the city in place for Lot J by the end of the year
2) Simultaneous construction underway for five buildings on Lot J by May (entertainment complex, office tower, residential building, hotel, and parking garage).
3) Lot J construction complete two years from now, in time for the start of the 2020 football season

Will be interesting to see the proposed agreement. My guess is the first phase will be $300-$500 million, with the city being asked to provide the property and 30% of the financing through bonds paid back via TIF but guaranteed through the general fund, and Iguana and Cordish covering the rest.

I take it the hotel is NOT the Four Seasons one that would be on the river, but a second one?

For them to be building an office tower they must have a primary tenant lined up. Either JEA or an totally anonymous one. 

Would the city pay for 30% of ALL of the five buildings,(the total cost of the entire Lot J phase)?
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

KenFSU

« Reply #331 on: August 14, 2018, 01:31:04 PM »
Four Seasons would be down the road, this is a separate hotel component on Lot J. Similar to the last round of stadium upgrades, I'm sure Phase 1 will be considered one overall project for purposes of a development agreement.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #332 on: August 14, 2018, 03:53:24 PM »
If I were to bet, I'd wager that JEA will be part of the deal.  Will the City be able to claim moving JEA there as part of the City's "contribution"?

KenFSU

« Reply #333 on: August 14, 2018, 05:17:20 PM »
If I were to bet, I'd wager that JEA will be part of the deal.  Will the City be able to claim moving JEA there as part of the City's "contribution"?

I could be wrong, but I don't think the city has any say in where JEA relocates.

To the best of my knowledge, it's strictly up to JEA's board of directors.

vicupstate

« Reply #334 on: August 14, 2018, 05:33:04 PM »

I could be wrong, but I don't think the city has any say in where JEA relocates.

The directors are appointed by either the Mayor or the Mayor and the Governor. 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Charles Hunter

« Reply #335 on: August 14, 2018, 09:52:23 PM »

By the Mayor, from the JEA website: "Our governing body is made up of a seven-member volunteer Board of Directors appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the City Council."

I understand that the JEA Board will make the decisions on a new HQ location, but they are part of the City, and could factor into a package deal.  Perhaps, a JEA move to Lot J reduces the required cash from the City to the Jags / Iguana by some amount.  The perceived value of having several hundred daily "butts in seats" to feed any restaurants that are built there.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #336 on: August 14, 2018, 11:18:34 PM »
Mark Lamping gave a talk this morning.

Here's what the Jags are going to be aggressively pushing for this fall:

1) An economic development agreement with the city in place for Lot J by the end of the year
2) Simultaneous construction underway for five buildings on Lot J by May (entertainment complex, office tower, residential building, hotel, and parking garage).
3) Lot J construction complete two years from now, in time for the start of the 2020 football season

Will be interesting to see the proposed agreement. My guess is the first phase will be $300-$500 million, with the city being asked to provide the property and 30% of the financing through bonds paid back via TIF but guaranteed through the general fund, and Iguana and Cordish covering the rest.

Based off this timeline, hosting an NFL Draft within the next 5 years seems plausible.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #337 on: August 15, 2018, 09:19:54 AM »

One of the board members is the CFO of the Jags....

KenFSU

« Reply #338 on: August 15, 2018, 12:19:21 PM »

By the Mayor, from the JEA website: "Our governing body is made up of a seven-member volunteer Board of Directors appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the City Council."

I understand that the JEA Board will make the decisions on a new HQ location, but they are part of the City, and could factor into a package deal.  Perhaps, a JEA move to Lot J reduces the required cash from the City to the Jags / Iguana by some amount.  The perceived value of having several hundred daily "butts in seats" to feed any restaurants that are built there.

Don't get me wrong, politics will certainly (and are already) play their part. To CZ's point above, even though Kelly Flanagan is technically "recusing" herself from the discussions, that doesn't recuse her influence and the strong self-interest she has toward Lot J.

My point was, the city alone doesn't have the power to move JEA to Lot J.

The strongest way the city could exercise their influence though would be when JEA RFPs their new headquarters. If Iguana/Cordish come back with a proposal that's exceptionally favorable to JEA, with the understanding that the city will help subsidize the office element through their economic development agreement with Iguana, then the city really would be actively bankrolling JEA's departure from downtown.

I'm not sure we'd offer similar subsidies directly with the much-better Atkins plan.

KenFSU

« Reply #339 on: August 17, 2018, 02:13:33 PM »
Not worth it's own thread, but just heard that the giant new LED billboard beside Daily's Place should be started and up within the next 2-3 weeks.

KenFSU

« Reply #340 on: September 03, 2018, 06:28:39 PM »
50,000 at the Lynyrd Skynyrd show last night.

Despite the rain, place was packed out.

Great joint effort by the Jags and the city.

Lots of great pics and video floating around on social media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1foKYa9xTE

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #341 on: September 04, 2018, 08:16:22 AM »
50,000 at the Lynyrd Skynyrd show last night.

Despite the rain, place was packed out.

Great joint effort by the Jags and the city.

Lots of great pics and video floating around on social media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1foKYa9xTE

Long day... Great show... Kid Rock and Jason Aldean were impressive... along with Skynrd...  8)  Jags and the city should do more of these...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Charles Hunter

« Reply #342 on: September 13, 2018, 09:03:40 AM »
My wife, some friends, and I attended the Judas Priest / Deep Purple concert at Daily's Place last night.  My ears should stop ringing sometime next week - it was loud.  I've never been in Lot J during a concert, but how much sound escapes the venue?  If there is any significant noise getting to Lot J, putting residential there could have an effect on future concerts.  Specifically, early curfews, like at St. Augustine Amphitheater.  Has anyone been in Lot J during a concert?

Lostwave

« Reply #343 on: September 13, 2018, 09:17:39 AM »
I also was at that show.  I enjoyed deep purple way more than I thought I would. 

You can hear concerts perfectly well in Lot J.  Its loud.  BUT, inside a modern well insulated building it shouldn't be too bad.  Inside a wood frame house, it would be terrible.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #344 on: September 13, 2018, 09:18:18 AM »
My wife, some friends, and I attended the Judas Priest / Deep Purple concert at Daily's Place last night.  My ears should stop ringing sometime next week - it was loud.  I've never been in Lot J during a concert, but how much sound escapes the venue?  If there is any significant noise getting to Lot J, putting residential there could have an effect on future concerts.  Specifically, early curfews, like at St. Augustine Amphitheater.  Has anyone been in Lot J during a concert?

I've listened to an entire concert while tailgating at Lot J. The music is loud and clear as day. In fact, depending on where your seats are inside Dailys Place... the sound in the parking lot is sometimes better.