Author Topic: Pedestrian Crossing Requested on Herschel in Fairfax  (Read 979 times)

Charles Hunter

Pedestrian Crossing Requested on Herschel in Fairfax
« on: April 13, 2018, 03:26:07 PM »
From WJCT http://news.wjct.org/post/residents-avondale-petitioning-crosswalks-herschel-street

A petition that asks the Florida Department of Transportation to add a crosswalk, signage and lighting to the 4100 block of Herschel Street has been circulating in Avondale.

"The traffic on Herschel Street is a danger to the patrons visiting the area,” according to the petition, which states: “Due to heavy periods of traffic and/or high speeds, patrons are left exposed to this traffic for extended periods of time.”

I agree with a comment on Facebook, wouldn't it make more sense to either
1. Move the angle parking to the same side of the road as the shops? Then, instead of moving the parallel parking across the street, make a buffered bike lane.
2. Put the parking in the middle, like the first block of Edgewood. Would still have one lane to cross, but traffic should be slower. Still might have room for a buffered bike lane.

I don't know how wide Herschell Street is here, but it looks very wide on Google. I think the new FDOT standards allow 10 foot lanes in areas like this.

Kerry

Re: Pedestrian Crossing Requested on Herschel in Fairfax
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 09:57:46 AM »
The whole section of road needs to be reworked.  I would start with round-a-bouts at St Johns Ave, Irvington, and San Juan.
Third Place

Charles Hunter

Re: Pedestrian Crossing Requested on Herschel in Fairfax
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 11:20:39 AM »
If the stretch of Herschel Street were on the FDOT resurfacing list, it would be a good candidate for their new Complete Streets (or Context Sensitive) program.  Seems like it wasn't that long ago that is was repaved - but time flies when you're having fun.  But they aren't going to do a project just to implement Context Sensitive Design, it needs to be with another project.
Here is FDOT's Complete Streets website: http://www.flcompletestreets.com/