Author Topic: WHY I LIKE LIVING IN THE JACKSONVILLE AREA  (Read 910 times)

Snaketoz

WHY I LIKE LIVING IN THE JACKSONVILLE AREA
« on: April 12, 2018, 05:31:32 PM »
We all hear things said about Jacksonville that is negative in nature, but I'd like to talk about what's good about living here, and what we could do to make others feel positive about our great area.

Snaketoz

Re: WHY I LIKE LIVING IN THE JACKSONVILLE AREA
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 05:40:07 PM »
I love the old neighborhoods in Jacksonville.  San Marco, Riverside, Springfield, Ortega.  Is there anything more beautiful than Talbot Island late in the afternoon on a sunny day? Walking on an uncrowded beach.  A drive down SR13? A short trip to St. Marys, or St. Simons Island, GA?  Amelia Island and Fernandina.  A ferry ride to Mayport for fresh seafood?  A concert in the Florida Theater. A short trip to St. Augustine.  A hot breezy evening watching the Jumbo Shrimp.  The buzz at a Jaguars game.  We have it made.

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 05:40:18 PM »
The great ALL-PUBLIC beaches.
The SJTC. (Don't shoot me.)
The relative ease of getting around a (geographically) huge city.
The amount of sunshine.  (Seriously, coming from one of the cloudiest places in the USA, most of you have no idea how good you have it with this.)
Being able to drive my convertible 12 months a year, instead of four.
The fact that you cant drive anywhere without seeing something gigantic being built, be it housing, office towers, retail, highways, ...

Kiva

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 06:45:01 PM »
The areas that are finally getting to where you can walk to a restaurant, locally owned store, or local brewery. Riverside, 5 points, San Marco, Springfield.

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT)
    • Music and Personal Info Website
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 06:57:54 PM »
I was born in Jax, and lived there in the mid to late 60's, joined the Navy and lived in Jax for 60% of my 20 year Navy career (cause I loved it so much though there wasn't much to do back then), and lived in Jax for two years after I retired from the Navy. I used to love just going downtown and sitting in Hemming Plaza, going to the beach or to Mayport to check out the Navy ships or eat at a good seafood restaurant, or going to one of the very small towns in Duval, Baker or Nassau Counties like Callahan, Baldwin, Maccleny, Hilliard, etc., just to get good hometown southern down home cooking, or to experience the small town atmosphere similar to the little town in Hamilton County that I was raised in (Jasper, FL). I miss Jax; and plan on possibly moving back very soon. I keep tabs on Jax's progress through this forum, and through regular internet surfing on various subjects relevant to the city of Jax. I have always rooted for Jacksonville and moreso now being that things seem to finally be moving; GO JACKSONVILLE!!!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 07:00:47 PM by heights unknown »
DONATE TODAY TO HELP ALL WHO ARE IN NEED BY CLICKING HERE ON MY MUSIC WEBISTE: http://HTTP://WWW.REVERBNATION.COM/COSTON; ALL PURCHASES ARE DONATIONS TO HELP ALL OF THOSE WHO ARE NEEDY, UNDERPRIVILEGED AND DISADVANTAGED.

BossmanOdum10

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 08:52:09 PM »
GO JACKSONVILLE! I love my hometown, we have our flaws but I see our city becoming an even better place to work live  and play....All those Jacksonville haters are just fuel for Jacksonville to become a world class city. If you're on this website just to bring negativity,  PLEASE LEAVE.

Sonic101

• It's Coming
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 09:06:50 PM »
The amount of sunshine.  (Seriously, coming from one of the cloudiest places in the USA, most of you have no idea how good you have it with this.)

I never realized how much I took that for granted until moving to Michigan. I like snow and winter sports, but the cloudiness makes winter so depressing. I have a marker board at my desk with a tally of how many days since the sun was out and I actually got to erase the tallies today. But looking at the forecast, there's gonna be 7 more tallies on there soon...

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 09:17:05 PM »

I never realized how much I took that for granted until moving to Michigan. I like snow and winter sports, but the cloudiness makes winter so depressing. I have a marker board at my desk with a tally of how many days since the sun was out and I actually got to erase the tallies today. But looking at the forecast, there's gonna be 7 more tallies on there soon...

The closer to Lake Michigan you are, the worse it is.  I did some serious weather analysis when we were looking at places to move to.  What I discovered was SW Michigan (where I lived) was EXACTLY the same as Portland Oregon, with the exception of the winter months being snowy and freezing instead of rainy and 45 degrees!  Depressing as hell, and you don't realize it because it's what you grew up with. 

heights unknown

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 09:44:55 PM »
I lived in Norfolk Virginia for 2 years, Stuttgart Germany for 2 years, Thurso Scotland for 2 years, and this was during my naval career, and, these 3 cities/areas were cold and way up north except for maybe Norfolk which is mid latitude; and the rest of the time I was in Jacksonville, either at Cecil Field or Naval Air Station Jacksonville. In 1988 to 1990, when I was stationed in Stuttgart Germany, I swore I would never live in another cold climate...and I haven't since then. The worse of the three, believe it or not, was Norfolk Virginia which is about on the same latitude as Northern California. The gulf stream kept Stuttgart and thurso Scotland warmer than the norm so their winters were cold yes, but not like Norfolk. I grew up and was born and raised in North Florida; so those mild to moderate springs and autumns, hot summers and moderate winters were just what the doctor ordered, and, what I also like about Jax is though it is in Florida, there are seasons, and the trees acutally turn in the autumn and shed for the winter, and spring comes a little earlier than up north. Southern cooking, southern drawl, slow to midlin attitude and lifestyle, big city yes but with a small town feel; that's my Jacksonville, and by God when the time is right, I plan to come back before I meet my maker!
DONATE TODAY TO HELP ALL WHO ARE IN NEED BY CLICKING HERE ON MY MUSIC WEBISTE: http://HTTP://WWW.REVERBNATION.COM/COSTON; ALL PURCHASES ARE DONATIONS TO HELP ALL OF THOSE WHO ARE NEEDY, UNDERPRIVILEGED AND DISADVANTAGED.

seaspray

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 12:13:29 AM »
I like that it is a sprawl. I grew up at the beaches, so when I lived in Jax I spent most of my time there in Atlantic Beach. But you can spend a day at any of  the little pockets of communities in Jax and feel like you were in a different city. I kinda liked that. Sometimes I would take a day off and spend the morning at Riverside, or another at San Marco or Downtown. I was never really so hung up on the fact there there was no defined central area of activity. And the traffic is not as bad as people make it out to be (although I know a bunch of the short cuts and back roads to get where I need to be).

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 06:46:25 AM »
I moved to Jax in 1979 (at the age of seven) because my dad was stationed here. With the exception of about six months in Gainesville, a year in CT and another six months in Tampa, I lived in Jax until I moved away in January 2007.

I try to come back to visit every year. I love Jax and it will always be home to me. Like any city or town, it's not perfect. But specific things I love are:

1) The Beaches. I was never a huge 'beach person' growing up, but have grown to really appreciate them in recent years. They're wide and relatively unspoiled. My wife's family lives about a 1/2 mile or so from the beach in Neptune Beach and nothing is more relaxing to me than getting up early and lying on the beach on that first day of my holiday. It's so peaceful and relaxing - I can actually feel the stress melting away.

2) The river. I love the St Johns river. Growing up near Mill Cove, I used to play along the banks of the river - it was so wild and undeveloped at the time. The river (and its pocket parks) featured pretty heavily in my routine from college onwards.

3) Riverside (and the so-called 'urban core' in general). I've had so many great times in Riverside.

4) The people. Everyone is really friendly. Maybe it's a Southern thing or an American thing - but the people are very warm. And they can be very enthusiastic about stuff.

5) The history - particularly the architectural history. I used to love poring over Jacksonville's Architectural History. It's a great book - and it should serve as a warning about what we risk losing if we don't change. Jax has a lot of very interesting buildings and neighborhoods.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 10:23:34 AM »
The real answer is simply that it's my hometown. Without that, I honestly doubt I'd give Jax too much care or attention.

But besides that, the things that I think make Jax special:

1) The COL specifically at the beaches and popular urban core neighborhoods. It is far cheaper than many comparable parts of other cities. Especially oceanfront and riverfront.

2) With our specific size and growth trajectory, it is one of the easiest places to make a lasting impact city-wide. You don't have to have huge resources or groundbreaking ideas...the city is already doing well and you get to shape it just by being involved. Especially for passionate and energized young professionals that was a common refrain.

Besides that I love pretty much everything listed by Adam and TimmyB, but they are not necessarily unique to Jax.

remc86007

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 10:27:23 AM »
4) The people. Everyone is really friendly. Maybe it's a Southern thing or an American thing - but the people are very warm. And they can be very enthusiastic about stuff.

It's definitely not an American thing haha  I used to think it was a Southern thing, but having traveled around and lived elsewhere, now I just think it's a Jacksonville thing.

I completely agree with ProjectMaximus's two points. The quality of life you can achieve for such a relatively small amount of money is unlike any other city I've been to.

heights unknown

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 10:48:46 AM »
I agree; not a southern thing or American thing, just a Jacksonville thing. Yeah, she's southern, but a different kind of southern. Jax has it's own identity apart from other southern cities. I don't know specifically whether Jax is still as cheap as it used to be when I lived there, but I'll bet it's not as expensive as other large cities and if you move to Jax, you get much more bang for your buck!