Author Topic: A photographic tour of Downtown San Diego  (Read 708 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
A photographic tour of Downtown San Diego
« on: April 08, 2018, 08:40:02 AM »
A photographic tour of Downtown San Diego

Modern Cities' Ennis Davis takes readers on a photographic tour of Downtown San Diego.

Read More: https://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2018-apr-a-photographic-tour-of-downtown-san-diego

I-10east

Re: A photographic tour of Downtown San Diego
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 11:07:00 PM »
Westfield Horton Plaza in SD is proof why I'm not sold about the 'open up the river' concept of the Jacksonville Landing. Horton Plaza is built like the perfect urban mall (with the two supposed keys of success, open air and urban) and as the video below shows, it's a dead mall that has seen better days. I get that it's much larger than the Landing, but still during this retail apocalypse per capita, even the Landing is likely in a better situation than Horton.

Maybe someone who has been to Horton can explain why it's failing so badly, but it looks like it should be more active than it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU_rwqMCt4k
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 11:12:47 PM by I-10east »

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 11:28:52 PM »
Like many malls, most of its anchor department store tenants have closed. Without them drawing foot traffic, the smaller specialty shops end up closing as well. In addition, many of the national chains that have went bankrupt in recent years, also closed their locations at the mall. Last Westfield Horton Plaza is more of a traditional mall like Regency or the Avenues. Seaport Village would be considered San Diego's version of the Landing. It seems to be doing much better than Westfield Horton Plaza.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

I-10east

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 12:25:45 AM »
^^^Thanks for the info.