Author Topic: Lenny Curry fights with City Council president  (Read 2874 times)

Kiva

Lenny Curry fights with City Council president
« on: April 04, 2018, 08:24:57 PM »
So Lenny Curry now says that anything from Anna Brosche is "part of a public relations effort, rather than an attempt to accomplish the work we are obligated to do".  So, apart from removing part of the Hart bridge expressway for his buddy Shad Khan, and providing lots of public money for the giant screens at TIAA Bank stadium, what has Lenny done? https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2018/04/04/mayor-questions-motives-of-city-council-president.html
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 08:27:20 PM by Kiva »

Steve

• The Jaxson
Re: Lenny Curry fights with City Council president
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 09:42:20 PM »
So Lenny Curry now says that anything from Anna Brosche is "part of a public relations effort, rather than an attempt to accomplish the work we are obligated to do".  So, apart from removing part of the Hart bridge expressway for his buddy Shad Khan, and providing lots of public money for the giant screens at TIAA Bank stadium, what has Lenny done? https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2018/04/04/mayor-questions-motives-of-city-council-president.html

I do think Mayor Curry has done a good number of positive things. Overall downtown development is moving forward (and look, if it wasn’t we’d all blame him for that). I thought the pension solution, though not ideal, was the least crappy idea of all of them.....especially considering he didn’t cause the problem. The city budget as a whole is MUCH healthier than when he arrived.

I’m not with Curry on this JEA stuff, but I’ll give him credit for things he did do.

vicupstate

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 08:56:40 AM »
The healthier budget is a by-product of the Pension Plan, which does NOTHING to solve that problem unless you consider additional debt a solution.   He has politicized things that did need to be politicized.  He has big plans but it remains to be seen what actually occurs and who pays for it. His connections seem to be beneficial to the effort to remove the ramps.  I don't know that that deserves to be a high priority, but it does need to happen at some point, so I'll go for sooner rather than later. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 10:31:23 AM by vicupstate »
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

JBTripper

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 09:07:57 AM »

The scoreboards you speak of debuted at EverBank Field in July of 2014, almost a full calendar year before Curry took office.

acme54321

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 09:22:46 AM »
Sounds like Lenny has a problem with checks and balances.  Which makes me glad that they are there.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 12:28:51 PM »
The healthier budget is a by-product of the Pension Plan, which does NOTHING to solve that problem unless you consider additional debt a solution.   He has politicized things that did need to be politicized.  He has big plans but it remains to be seen what actually occurs and who pays for it. His connections seem to be beneficial to the effort to remove the ramps.  I don't know that that deserves to be a high priority, but it does need to happen at some point, so I'll go for sooner rather than later.

The healthier budget is the result of him knowing what the hell he's doing with it, and hiring other people who do as well. The pension plan also helps, it wasn't perfect but it was better than continuing to do nothing. He also has other accomplishments like getting the police budget back in line, Daily's Place and the ongoing Laura Street Trio and Courthouse parking lot projects. However, trying to ram through his objectives and lashing anyone who disagrees with him are the worst parts of his term so far. On the JEA deal, these tactics have clearly come back to bite him.

The scoreboards you speak of debuted at EverBank Field in July of 2014, almost a full calendar year before Curry took office.

Correct. The scoreboards were Alvin Brown. Curry has kicked in a lot of money to stadium projects, but the bulk of that has Daily's Place and basic renovations.

Sounds like Lenny has a problem with checks and balances.  Which makes me glad that they are there.

Indeed. This sharp elbowed approach on everything was never going to last forever. If he's smart he changes tacks.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

vicupstate

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 01:00:23 PM »
getting the police budget back in line

So he cut their budget? Didn't he run on a crime is out of control platform?

The pension plan also helps, it wasn't perfect but it was better than continuing to do nothing.

No. Had he done nothing, there would not have been a substantial increase in future debt.   

Daily's Place and the ongoing Laura Street Trio and Courthouse parking lot projects.

I'll give him some credit on Laura Trio, but the plans were around long before he became mayor. Atkins is the real hero on that. As far as Daily Place, I question the need or priority of it. It was a sweetheart deal for Khan too. I wonder if they truly matched the city's investment  there. If it becomes part of a larger and successful project in that area, I will treat it more favorably.

Courthouse lot is a reduction of develop-able space and it was falling into the river.  What other alternative did he or anyone else have?
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 01:20:03 PM »
getting the police budget back in line

So he cut their budget? Didn't he run on a crime is out of control platform?

He didn't cut the budget. He's added a lot more cops and refunded Jacksonville Journey programs. Violent crime is certainly a major problem in Jacksonville.

The pension plan also helps, it wasn't perfect but it was better than continuing to do nothing.

No. Had he done nothing, there would not have been a substantial increase in future debt.   

It would've been the same increase overall, without any new cash going in at any point. The idea that we could do nothing and it would all work out was a fantasy of the Brown administration and some allied Metro Jacksonville forum members, and basically no one else.

Daily's Place and the ongoing Laura Street Trio and Courthouse parking lot projects.

I'll give him some credit on Laura Trio, but the plans were around long before he became mayor. Atkins is the real hero on that. As far as Daily Place, I question the need or priority of it. It was a sweetheart deal for Khan too. I wonder if they truly matched the city's investment  there. If it becomes part of a larger and successful project in that area, I will treat it more favorably.

Courthouse lot is a reduction of develop-able space and it was falling into the river.  What other alternative did he or anyone else have?

The Laura Street Trio plans existed for many years, but it wasn't until Curry's administration that the city stepped up to its part of the deal and things went forward (Atkins is certainly the hero, though). He can also definitely hang his hat on Daily's Place, the first successful big downtown project in years. The Courthouse lot was an example of Curry inheriting a problem that had been neglected, and making something positive out of it. The point is, he does have a number of accomplishments in less than 3 years on the job. IMO, he'd be a lot better off if he kept the focus on objectives like that and building consensus for them, rather than feuding with perceived enemies.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Jimmy

• Less talking and more doing.
    • @JimmyMidyette
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 06:52:52 PM »
^ I would associate myself with those comments, Tacachale. I voted for the other guy, but Mayor Curry has done well to this point. 

The JEA stuff and arguing with Council President Brosche isn't exactly his finest hour.  I assume but don't know that this is the result of bringing Brian Hughes on board as chief of staff.  The bunker mentality, us-against-the-world, attitude might work in campaign mode but leaves much to be desired from public servants.
twitter.com/JimmyMidyette

DrQue

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 07:27:14 PM »
This JEA sale has probably been in the works since the very beginning. If we recall, one of Mayor Curry's first actions was cleaning out JEA's Board of Directors. Of course other reasons were used at the time, but now it sure seems convenient that the board is made up entirely of his appointees.

The actions of the executive branch are very telling. Selling JEA is part of their master plan. Period.

marcuscnelson

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 10:38:08 PM »
Surely Curry wouldn't be stupid enough to ruin all of the public goodwill he's created by seriously trying to sell JEA, right?

…right?

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 11:07:12 PM »
Having more money in the current budget through 2027( ? ) was never the issue with Curry's plan.

The issue comes when our obligation makes a huge jump many years from now - you know... long after anyone remembers who caused it massive budget shortfall and long after the person responsible is long gone from local politics.

Seems like some of you have already forgotten that part of it. 
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 10:57:02 AM »
^ I would associate myself with those comments, Tacachale. I voted for the other guy, but Mayor Curry has done well to this point. 

The JEA stuff and arguing with Council President Brosche isn't exactly his finest hour.  I assume but don't know that this is the result of bringing Brian Hughes on board as chief of staff.  The bunker mentality, us-against-the-world, attitude might work in campaign mode but leaves much to be desired from public servants.

^+100 Jimmy. Though I'm not even sure it really worked well in campaign mode.

vicupstate

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 11:28:47 AM »
The money going into the pension was REDUCED in the near term, in exchange for higher payments later.  Thereby INCREASING the total long-term debt. That gave Curry money to spent elsewhere (which was needed), but strictly considering the pension was WORSE than doing nothing. And no, Brown never proposed doing nothing on the pension. 

His action of completely turning over the JEA board was without precedent and obviously to prepare for a sale. Unlike his predecessors, he did not respect the uncompleted prior appointments of those before him.  It was the same with other boards too.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 02:27:44 PM »
This came out last week:

Anna Brosche discusses ‘unhealthy dynamic’ with Lenny Curry

A.G. GANCARSKI
April 9, 2018, 8:15 am

The ongoing contretemps between Jacksonville Mayor Lenny Curry and City Council President Anna Brosche continued apace last week.

The two Republicans exchanged sharp words in letters, with Curry (who has lambasted Brosche in the past, including but not limited to descriptions of her actions as “disgraceful, irresponsible, ridiculous … slanderous”) asserting that Brosche’s communications with the Mayor’s Office are simply “public relations” efforts rather than attempts at good faith communication.

HCA Ocala
Curry continued this line of argument on WJXT’s “This Week in Jacksonville,” charging that Brosche lacked follow-through on issues (citing her lapsed advocacy for Confederate monument removal in the wake of Charlottesville) and saying that Brosche wanted to have lunch with him ostensibly so he and Brosche “could be seen together in public.”

Brosche addressed some of the interview’s claims on Sunday.

“At the repeated urging of mutual supporters and community leaders wanting to broker reconciliation,” said the Council President, “I took it upon myself to reach out to Mayor Curry and extend an invitation to meet for lunch to create a path for better communication.

“He accepted the invitation, although as is typical with Mayor Curry, he wanted to meet in private. I did not say, ‘We just need to be seen together.’ I expressed my desire to meet in public, with the interest in meeting on neutral ground and for those concerned about our strained relationship to have the opportunity to see our mutual efforts at forging a more positive path.” Brosche said.

“As for his messaging against me, I am, quite frankly, surprised to be an object of his constant attention, one requiring a messaging campaign. While he is focused on the dynamic of our unhealthy relationship, I am going to continue my efforts to serve the people of Jacksonville, and keep asking questions to make sure everything adds up for the people,” Brosche added.

After two consecutive Thursdays in which he took tough questions from that committee, JEA CEO Paul McElroy decided his time was up, and stepped down from the highest paying public position in the city.

For Brosche, this decision adds to the current “uncertainty” surrounding the utility.

“I was surprised by Paul McElroy’s decision to not renew his contract during a period that could be described as a possible transition. I sincerely appreciate Paul’s leadership and significant contributions to creating a strong culture of community at JEA,” Brosche said.

“Uncertainty has been a frequent term used in the process of evaluating a potential sale of JEA; Paul’s departure brings no exception,” she added.

http://floridapolitics.com/archives/260756-anna-brosche-discusses-unhealthy-dynamic-with-lenny-curry