Author Topic: Downtown on the verge of a hotel boom  (Read 3631 times)

JaGoaT

Re: Downtown on the verge of a hotel boom
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2018, 11:29:53 PM »
Im 22 and everyone my age agrees Jacksonville is on the rise. There is a lot of pride in the city amongst us 90s kids, I credit growing up watching  the Jags.

jax_hwy_engineer

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2018, 10:26:33 AM »
Im 22 and everyone my age agrees Jacksonville is on the rise. There is a lot of pride in the city amongst us 90s kids, I credit growing up watching  the Jags.

I'm 25, and a lot of my friends seem more or less "happy enough" with Jax, despite having traveled to places like LA, NYC, Chicago, etc. Honestly, that's good enough for me, even though I am pretty proud of and happy to be in Jax, and am an outspoken proponent for liking Jax. I think a lot of the anti-Jax rhetoric I heard of came from when I lived in Fleming Island while I was in high school. My peers then didn't really hate Jax, I don't think, as much as they hated Fleming/Clay County, but just bundled Jax into it since OP/FI area is considered the "Jacksonville area".

I'm honestly really glad to hear some of this positive talk. Mindset and perspective makes a huge difference in day-to-day life and in the way a community functions, so being positive is typically better than being negative IMHO, especially in the sense of "liking where you are". I have a lot of coworkers who haven't been downtown in a while, or to Riverside, San Marco, the beaches, etc. in a very long time, and to me they're just pigeonholing themselves so that they never fully appreciate what this city has to offer. Then again, those coworkers seem to live in the bedroom communities, so maybe THAT'S what they actually dislike?

Long story short, I like the positivity in this thread. GO JAX

jaxnyc79

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2018, 05:23:16 PM »

I'm 25, and a lot of my friends seem more or less "happy enough" with Jax, despite having traveled to places like LA, NYC, Chicago, etc. Honestly, that's good enough for me, even though I am pretty proud of and happy to be in Jax, and am an outspoken proponent for liking Jax. I think a lot of the anti-Jax rhetoric I heard of came from when I lived in Fleming Island while I was in high school. My peers then didn't really hate Jax, I don't think, as much as they hated Fleming/Clay County, but just bundled Jax into it since OP/FI area is considered the "Jacksonville area".

I'm honestly really glad to hear some of this positive talk. Mindset and perspective makes a huge difference in day-to-day life and in the way a community functions, so being positive is typically better than being negative IMHO, especially in the sense of "liking where you are". I have a lot of coworkers who haven't been downtown in a while, or to Riverside, San Marco, the beaches, etc. in a very long time, and to me they're just pigeonholing themselves so that they never fully appreciate what this city has to offer. Then again, those coworkers seem to live in the bedroom communities, so maybe THAT'S what they actually dislike?

Long story short, I like the positivity in this thread. GO JAX

Generally speaking, a message thread like this should and does draw people who care for Jacksonville and are positive on its future.  Anyone taking time to read and contribute has to have some flame burning inside for the city.  Optimism, however, doesn't have to mean complacency.  Historically, I've enjoyed metrojacksonville because people "respectfully" explore and debate alternative roads to the downtown we all hope to have someday, and sometimes a discussion of alternatives requires a bit of benchmarking and even disagreement.  Having said that, fundamentally Jacksonville should be proud of what it is, and should find ways to show its history and heritage and originality to the world.  An Authentic Jax is the only version of Jacksonville that will maintain and grow the respect of both its residents and outsiders.   
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 05:25:14 PM by jaxnyc79 »

Snaketoz

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2018, 05:28:13 PM »
Growing-up in Jacksonville (area) at this time is great.  Not only did the nineties kids get to grow up rooting for the Jaguars, they have so much more as far as entertainment goes.  Dailey's Place, St. Aug. amp., PV, etc.  I'm planning to start a new thread on living in Jax and I hope KenFSU will write us another piece.  Reading the positive posts from all of you has made me feel proud.

Tacachale

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2018, 05:35:02 PM »
I've always felt the inferiority complex, and the nearly pathological negativity that comes with it, comes in large part from the lack of identity. And that has a lot to do with the state of Downtown. The city lost its traditional center, and without that it was hard to get a sense of what Jax was all about, and without that it was harder to see the good qualities of the city. I think it's natural for kids in the suburbs to think of their environment as stifling and generic. It's that much harder to get past that when the more attractive alternatives aren't readily apparent. And from there, it's harder to get motivated to do something about it to make your city better, instead of succumbing to fatalism, or leaving.

I'd credit a lot of the current good vibes to the people of past generations who did something about it - those who put the work in to make the city better. The case in point to me is Jake Godbold. He came in at a time when both Downtown and civic pride were probably at their lowest ebbs, but he was the greatest booster the city ever had, encouraging people to think bigger and value their city more. Not every one of his initiatives came together perfectly, but he was so enthusiastic and determined that it was catching. I think the "yes we can" attitude instilled by Jake and his people and successors is a large part of why younger people often have a different outlook than older generations, and are somewhat less susceptible to the inferiority complex that is the city's greatest curse.

Today, things are much different than they were even 20 years ago. Downtown isn't there yet, but but other parts of the urban core have become genuinely cool, and it finally seems like things are on an upswing. There are people interested in - and support - local food, and culture. That's perhaps the biggest change I've seen since growing up here in the 80s and 90s.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

KenFSU

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2018, 09:52:49 PM »
I've always felt the inferiority complex, and the nearly pathological negativity that comes with it, comes in large part from the lack of identity. And that has a lot to do with the state of Downtown. The city lost its traditional center, and without that it was hard to get a sense of what Jax was all about, and without that it was harder to see the good qualities of the city. I think it's natural for kids in the suburbs to think of their environment as stifling and generic. It's that much harder to get past that when the more attractive alternatives aren't readily apparent. And from there, it's harder to get motivated to do something about it to make your city better, instead of succumbing to fatalism, or leaving.

I'd credit a lot of the current good vibes to the people of past generations who did something about it - those who put the work in to make the city better. The case in point to me is Jake Godbold. He came in at a time when both Downtown and civic pride were probably at their lowest ebbs, but he was the greatest booster the city ever had, encouraging people to think bigger and value their city more. Not every one of his initiatives came together perfectly, but he was so enthusiastic and determined that it was catching. I think the "yes we can" attitude instilled by Jake and his people and successors is a large part of why younger people often have a different outlook than older generations, and are somewhat less susceptible to the inferiority complex that is the city's greatest curse.

Today, things are much different than they were even 20 years ago. Downtown isn't there yet, but but other parts of the urban core have become genuinely cool, and it finally seems like things are on an upswing. There are people interested in - and support - local food, and culture. That's perhaps the biggest change I've seen since growing up here in the 80s and 90s.

You're too modest to say it yourself Bill, but I'd also put your Dad very near the top of that list of people who made huge strides in making Jacksonville a better city that we could all be proud of. Without the Better Jacksonville Plan, there would be no world-class library in the heart of downtown. Who knows if we'd still be going to the rundown Coliseum and Wolfson Park instead of our new arena and the Baseball Grounds. He was beating the amphitheater drum since the 90s. Guy also did amazing things with preservation, took UNF to another level during his 15 years as President, and was one of the few Republicans in city leadership who took a strong stand in favor of the HRO (his op-ed in the Times-Union was amazing).

John Delaney was a godsend for Jacksonville.

Just saying...
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/