Author Topic: Balanky proposes 26-story tower/gondola lift for Southbank  (Read 3947 times)

Captain Zissou

Re: Balanky proposes 26-story tower/gondola lift for Southbank
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2018, 09:39:47 AM »
Some of you people are just as short sighted as the city itself
What is so visionary about making the city pay for a gimmick that brings people to your development?

JPalmer

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 12:15:35 PM »
Maybe the gondola can have a stop at the Barge Entertainment Space, another "private" development that needed our city's charity to ever get past a silly drawing.

acme54321

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 04:06:21 PM »
Some of you people are just as short sighted as the city itself
What is so visionary about making the city pay for a gimmick that brings people to your development?

You clearly have no vision!

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 06:03:09 PM »
Hey, I just saw this story on News 4!  No doubt, it is happening!!!   ;D

KenFSU

Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

billy

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2018, 08:58:06 PM »
This totally screws up my dolphin pulled floating rickshaw venture-

ralpho37

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2018, 08:50:15 AM »
To be clear, is the gondola not happening until the convention center gets built? Or is the tower not happening until the convention center gets built.

I don't particularly care about the gondola, but the tower would be a nice addition to the skyline and continue the growth in the San Marco area.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2018, 09:11:52 AM »
The gondola is a pipe dream that's not happening. The tower ain't happening either until he clears up the legal dispute with JTA.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

downtownbrown

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2018, 09:21:49 AM »
...and the convention center won't be built, Berkman 2 won't be finished, the USS Adams will never arrive, the Hart Bridge ramps will never be lowered, and Khan will never develop the Shipyards.  Welcome to Jacksonville!

Kerry

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2018, 10:30:44 AM »
Why on earth would JTA be opposed to having residential units on the site.  It seems like that would give them built in users for the Skyway.
Third Place

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2018, 10:39:06 AM »
Why on earth would JTA be opposed to having residential units on the site.  It seems like that would give them built in users for the Skyway.

Sounds like it has to do with the Skyway expansion proposal, of all things.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

jaxjags

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2018, 10:51:46 AM »
Integrate the Skyway into the building design. What a novel idea.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2018, 11:41:34 AM »
The gondola is a pipe dream that's not happening. The tower ain't happening either until he clears up the legal dispute with JTA.

I feel like the JTA agreement with Balanky will get resolved, as getting it resolved really is in everyone’s best interest.

The gondolas on the other hand..,..that will likely happen when Charter Co’s Floating nukes are completed.

KenFSU

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2018, 12:04:28 PM »

I feel like the JTA agreement with Balanky will get resolved, as getting it resolved really is in everyone’s best interest.

The gondolas on the other hand..,..that will likely happen when Charter Co’s Floating nukes are completed.

What's a bit goofy to me is that Balanky wants the first phase of the gondola to go from just west of the District (in the contaminated plot boxed below) to the old Courthouse site.

That spot on the Southbank is literally a 60 second walk to a Skyway station, and it'll dump you off on the north bank a couple of blocks away. With much shorter headways.

The route doesn't seem practical or necessary.

At least there's utility in a Southbank to Sports Complex route. It's serving a need that currently isn't served.
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2018, 12:58:56 PM »
While I’m not a fan of the elevated Skyway overall, the Convention Center site, Shipyards site, and Sports Complex is one extension that to me could make sense.

Then, you don’t need this Gondola thing at all. Fundamentally, I really don’t have a problem with it, but How much is a river crossing with these things? And his plan has two!