Author Topic: Big Fishweir Creek is FINALLY going to get dredged!  (Read 1727 times)

grimss

Big Fishweir Creek is FINALLY going to get dredged!
« on: February 21, 2018, 01:04:36 PM »
The l-o-n-g discussed dredging/eco-restoration of Big Fishweir and Little Fishweir Creeks passed unanimously out of the Finance committee today, and because of a similarly unanimous vote out of the Neighborhoods committee yesterday, the bill will be put on the City Council's consent agenda Tuesday night. This all but guarantees its passage.  Among many other important components of the plan (remove sediment, stabilize stream banks, plant submerged aquatic vegetation, plant emergent vegetation, remove exotic plant species, re-contour the streambed, construct manatee corridors, install trash collectors, and create marsh habitat), Big Fishweir will be dredged to a depth of between four to six feeet.  Approximately forty-five acres, representing approximately one mile of stream, will be restored.  Sixty-five percent of the project will be funded by the Army Corps of Engineers, and the City has already allocated its 35% required funds in the budget. This will certainly make those RiverVu apartments more attractive.

camarocane

Re: Big Fishweir Creek is FINALLY going to get dredged!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 01:16:47 PM »
Are the final plans available? I heard they were going to create an island at the mouth of the creek.

acme54321

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 01:31:42 PM »
Are the final plans available? I heard they were going to create an island at the mouth of the creek.

I went looking but couldn't find anything, they probably don't exist yet.  If they're going to dredge the creek to 4-6' that's going to generate a whole lot of sediment to put somewhere.  Normally it would be pumped to a holding pond but there isn't one, or anywhere feasible to put one near the creek, or anywhere to run the pipes.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 01:34:13 PM by acme54321 »

acme54321

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 01:38:49 PM »
http://residentnews.net/2017/08/03/big-fishweir-creek-still-unnavigable-10-years-later/

This says that they are proposing to use geotextile bags to contain the sediment and form the base of the island, then cap it with sand.  If that is the final design who knows.

grimss

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 01:42:17 PM »
I'll have to dig around for links, but from what I understand the current Army Corps plan (which was presented in 2012) only had a shelf life until 2016, so the Corps will have to undertake another study and bring its plans up to date. One option is to use the spoil to create a submerged island near the mouth that would also improve hydrologic flow, but other ideas include using the spoil to "fill in" the areas of the marsh that have deteriorated, thus creating new habitat. The primary goal of the plan is eco restoration, especially for the manatees (Fishweir reportedly used to be a place where they birthed their calves), but a lot of discussion centered on how the dredeging makes the creek more usable for non-monitorized recreation.

I'm excited to see what the dredging uncovers. Several (up to 5?) natural springs were apparently capped back in the day; it would be awesome to see those flowing again.

camarocane

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 01:47:05 PM »
I'm excited to see what the dredging uncovers. Several (up to 5?) natural springs were apparently capped back in the day; it would be awesome to see those flowing again.

That is interesting.

I wonder how the geotextile bags and sediment trap would function? I assume one would pump mud into the bags, solids would then be captured within the bags and water filtered out. Would be neat to see the process. 

acme54321

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 02:11:54 PM »

That is interesting.

I wonder how the geotextile bags and sediment trap would function? I assume one would pump mud into the bags, solids would then be captured within the bags and water filtered out. Would be neat to see the process.

Yep, normally they do it on land so the water drains out then they dry out.  I'd imagine with this approach they should be done in situ since you can't really move them once filled.

I'm kind of surprised that they are leaving the sediment in the water though.  Maybe it's not as bad up here with the more substantial tidal swings, but farther south (Indian River) much of this material is nasty anaerobic muck.  The creeks down there don't really flow with any significant current though so maybe the muck causing material up here gets washed away and heavier sediment remains.

gmuller2112

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 04:08:38 PM »
Does anyone know how this dredging will affect some of the houses that flooded due to rising waters from Little Fishweir Creek during Irma?