Author Topic: Apple announces second campus, promises to bring 20,000 jobs  (Read 1282 times)

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
Apple announces second campus, promises to bring 20,000 jobs
« on: January 17, 2018, 10:52:40 PM »
Now Apple wants some of Amazon HQ2 incentive money leftovers! Let the games begin!

Full article: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.curbed.com/platform/amp/2018/1/17/16902190/apple-new-campus-headquarters-jobs
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

marcuscnelson

Re: Apple announces second campus, promises to bring 20,000 jobs
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 12:37:58 AM »
No way.

We're not getting this. I would bet against anywhere in Florida getting this.

Considering they already have a major campus in Austin, Texas, I feel like they must be thinking about why they'd put an Apple Campus 2 (can we use that name again now?) in another southern city, especially one as small and technically insignificant to them as Jacksonville.

My main bet? Pennsylvania or somewhere else in the Northeast, closer to government centers, the institutional corporate HQs, and their own existing AppleCare center.

Maybe second bet would be Atlanta or somewhere in Alabama, because they're southern enough and maybe Auburn could partner since they're Cook's alma mater.

FlaBoy

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 12:40:41 AM »
They will either end up in Austin or paying no taxes somewhere else. I doubt they domicile in California after moving back to the states.

jaxrox

• Juno Who
    • Personal Page  FOLLOW ME IF YOU DARE
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 12:56:43 AM »
Yeah, I would like for Jacksonville to get this, it would be good for the city. But yeah, I think it would be more likely to end up in either Atlanta or somewhere in Pennsylvania. A lot of gov't agencies there in them places, yep. It'll be fun to watch the competition for this play out, I guess. I will not be blindly optimistic over this tidbit of news. Good as it sounds, nope, I just don't think so

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 09:15:23 AM »
I would love to see this in Jax, but it's hard to imagine fitting this and HQ2 both. We may just have to settle for one.  8)
What I would really like to see is the city release the HQ2 video, but replace every reference to "Amazon" with "Apple" including poorly-dubbed voiceovers.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 09:34:08 AM »
Well, it may take a few days for the dust to settle. Since it seems there is no public RFP coming, there's only an Apple press release and then various articles reporting on what management has said (with no references). So I'm finding conflicting implications and nothing concrete, but here are some of the claims that have been written:

This "campus" (it was labelled everything from office to second headquarters) will initially be for IT.

We have no idea how many jobs or how significant it will be...the 20k jobs number is the number they plan to hire in the US.

Apple CEO stated it will not be in CA or TX, and the SV Leadership Group suggested this is good because they want to see more pro-technology advocates in some non-tech cities.

Dapperdan

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 09:42:49 AM »
Jacksonville is not on the final 20 list for Amazon. So we can now bid away.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 10:54:06 PM »
When Tim Cook sees how difficult it was to pass the HRO here, he will quickly know one city he would never consider to be the next "Big Apple."  8)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014/10/30/tim-cook-comes-out/18165361/

marcuscnelson

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 01:38:01 AM »
Reuters announced that there won't be an RFP.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-apple-campus/apple-says-it-will-decide-new-campus-site-without-an-auction-idUSKBN1F734U

So I think it's pretty safe to assume that we can just ignore this, because it isn't happening here.