Author Topic: RFP Proposed for Convention Center  (Read 12207 times)

Steve

• The Jaxson
Re: RFP Proposed for Convention Center
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2018, 08:57:56 PM »
Is a hotel really needed with the project with the Hyatt right next door ?

It would be ideal. The Hyatt is okay, but if I’m a developer I propose a more luxury property. At a minimum, something like a Westin, Renaissance, etc. Having a second hotel isn’t a bad thing, especially as many business travelers are brand loyalists to the “big 4”: Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Starwood (yes, I know Starwood and Marriott are technically one now). I would agree-the Hyatt is too big for the market. I’m not sure how to fix that though.

acme54321

« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2018, 09:23:10 PM »
Here's something I didn't see mentioned...  What if part of this push for a new convention center is being driven, at least in part, by Brightline behind closed doors?  That would be something.

marcuscnelson

« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2018, 09:26:59 PM »
Here's something I didn't see mentioned...  What if part of this push for a new convention center is being driven, at least in part, by Brightline behind closed doors?  That would be something.

You mean as a ploy to clear up Prime Osborn for a future Brightline station?

I wouldn't bet in favor, but it's not impossible.

KenFSU

« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2018, 12:47:23 PM »
Per the Daily Record, convention center garage would be 1,700 spaces (not the 400 + 1300 surface originally reported), a retail component along Bay Street would be required (as would public access to the river), and the RFP window has been widened from 60 to 120 days.
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

FlaBoy

« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2018, 02:04:20 PM »
Per the Daily Record, convention center garage would be 1,700 spaces (not the 400 + 1300 surface originally reported), a retail component along Bay Street would be required (as would public access to the river), and the RFP window has been widened from 60 to 120 days.

I don't think a 1,700 car garage is possible at that site if you want to have a convention center there as well lol. Most likely, developers may come back and say there needs to be an additional parcel like the JEA land off Independent that is used for an additional garage.

KenFSU

« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2018, 02:29:54 PM »

I don't think a 1,700 car garage is possible at that site if you want to have a convention center there as well lol. Most likely, developers may come back and say there needs to be an additional parcel like the JEA land off Independent that is used for an additional garage.

Jax Convention Center be all:

Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!

FlaBoy

« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2018, 02:40:11 PM »
 ;D ;D

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2018, 12:21:34 PM »
Can't prove it but this goes hand in hand with the City being told by All Aboard Florida to Centralize and Consolidate it's mass transit. AAF Jacksonville Segment LLC was incorporated in 2014, but don't be fooled, it's every bit a real estate AND transportation scheme. To Fortress-Flagler Development it is a pure real estate plan with a long life potential for high-rise/mid-rise mixed use lease space growing exponentially. To AAF-Brightline it is a railroad project that serves as a value added keystone to the developer.

Ask yourself why on earth the new JAXIS Jacksonville Intermodal Station is being built off but next to the historic Terminal, AKA:Prime Osborn, but no effort was ever made to build it AT the Prime Osborn property? Now that the RFP is public, looks like the historic terminal is to be vacant once again and the new Convention Center will rise on the Riverfront. Which leave our JAXIS next-door to a big vacant space... Or does it? Since AAF is so tied to real estate, my prediction is the property known as the Prime Osborn is likely to become the next 'Miami Central' project after the Orlando segment opens.

All the pieces fit.
All

marcuscnelson

« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2018, 04:14:30 PM »
Can't prove it but this goes hand in hand with the City being told by All Aboard Florida to Centralize and Consolidate it's mass transit. AAF Jacksonville Segment LLC was incorporated in 2014, but don't be fooled, it's every bit a real estate AND transportation scheme. To Fortress-Flagler Development it is a pure real estate plan with a long life potential for high-rise/mid-rise mixed use lease space growing exponentially. To AAF-Brightline it is a railroad project that serves as a value added keystone to the developer.

Ask yourself why on earth the new JAXIS Jacksonville Intermodal Station is being built off but next to the historic Terminal, AKA:Prime Osborn, but no effort was ever made to build it AT the Prime Osborn property? Now that the RFP is public, looks like the historic terminal is to be vacant once again and the new Convention Center will rise on the Riverfront. Which leave our JAXIS next-door to a big vacant space... Or does it? Since AAF is so tied to real estate, my prediction is the property known as the Prime Osborn is likely to become the next 'Miami Central' project after the Orlando segment opens.

All the pieces fit.
All

This is an interesting proposition. Although I wonder if Brightline/Park Line would actually build train tracks back into the terminal (the way it used to be) or instead add it to the side like the original JRTC plan, in which case they could use the former convention center for TOD.

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2018, 06:41:14 PM »
If this happens, then I wonder what purpose does the Prime Osborne serve and how can we use it?

KenFSU

« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2018, 10:38:47 AM »
Haskell: What the DIA is seeking for convention center goes too far

While he views the latest convention center discussion as “very positive,” Haskell said he stands by the findings in the 2011 analysis — that the city should focus its development efforts solely on the exhibit space.

The only element needed is a large exhibition hall, Haskell said. “And the hotel would be a huge mistake.”

“We strongly recommend that the city take advantage of the Hyatt,” he said. “It has the meeting rooms and food service. Everything other than a 200,000-square-foot exhibit hall is already there.”

The 2011 report suggested adding a 350-space parking garage to the convention center plan, but the scope of the current proposal is much larger.

“It’s absurd to build 1,700 parking spaces. The kind of conventioneers we want won’t drive here and the Hyatt has adequate parking,” Haskell said.

Full story:
https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/haskell-what-the-dia-is-seeking-for-convention-center-goes-too-far

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2018, 10:43:58 AM »
I agree with Haskell on this. I hope that the DIA would be willing to seriously consider proposals that also take advantage of the Hyatt for hotel, meeting and garage space. That would dramatically drop the cost, strengthen existing business and allow space for other uses....increasing the chances of project feasibility.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2018, 10:56:26 AM »
Haskell makes a ton of sense on this.

Presumably, the hotel being conceived of is Khan's high end one that was originally suggested for the Shipyards.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

acme54321

« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2018, 11:34:21 AM »
If this happens, then I wonder what purpose does the Prime Osborne serve and how can we use it?

It would make a great train station.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2018, 11:46:17 AM »
Yes, for the last decade the thought has been to turn it back into a train station. Both Amtrak and Brightline could possibly  have stops there.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali