Author Topic: Retail garage project proposed for downtown  (Read 12944 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Retail garage project proposed for downtown
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2018, 12:30:44 PM »
^Downtown Orlando has done a good job exposing hidden retail in its office buildings. Not all of it has been remodeling, some of it is just better signage. Unfortunately, the Jax sign ordinance, which has been positive in other neighborhoods, hinders doing that in Downtown Jax.
Yes, it doesn't have to be extensive facade modifications. In certain situations it could be as simple as adding better signage, awings, outdoor seating or in Baptist's case....replacing glass block with transparent storefront window openings.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxjags

« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2018, 07:05:54 PM »
Jax actually has two identities; it is in Florida and is a Florida City, and it also has a southern/Midwestern feel, don't know the reason for that, but that's what I see. In the above photo, and I think those are oak trees, how about a palm, an oak, a palm, etc.? The florida feel with the palms, and the southern/Midwestern feel with the oaks, give em both! Just saying.

This comment reminds me of one of my favorite "trivia" questions: What is the second largest city in GA?

Jacksonville - We are more of a southern city than a Florida city.

KenFSU

« Reply #92 on: July 17, 2018, 03:37:25 PM »
Due to Vystar's move downtown, plans have been updated.

Garage will now be 810-spaces, across seven levels.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2018, 04:07:31 PM »

Wow....big garage.

KenFSU

« Reply #94 on: July 17, 2018, 04:14:41 PM »

Wow....big garage.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2018, 04:23:35 PM »
Any change to the retail situation??  PLEASE!?

Alexsifakis

« Reply #96 on: July 17, 2018, 05:44:17 PM »
Steve atkins said yesterday at downtown rotary that the garage is being built so that the 1st floor of the main st facade and some of the Adams and main corner can be easily converted to retail at which time that the market will support it. I hadn’t heard that before, so I thought that was great news.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2018, 05:55:50 PM »
Yes, that was the change they made with the DDRB a month or two ago.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Charles Hunter

« Reply #98 on: July 17, 2018, 08:28:25 PM »
I have a question about converting ground floor space to retail, "when the market will support it."  Presumably, this involves "converting" ground floor parking spaces to retail space.  If the market is hot, won't there also be a big demand for those parking spaces?

jagsonville

« Reply #99 on: July 17, 2018, 08:53:07 PM »
I have a question about converting ground floor space to retail, "when the market will support it."  Presumably, this involves "converting" ground floor parking spaces to retail space.  If the market is hot, won't there also be a big demand for those parking spaces?

Yea I’m sure that how they are engineering it, they are probably just making the wall facing Main Street removable to install an entry door and perhaps a small full length window. A compact car parking space is about 8x18 so you would only need 5 spots for a small 720 sq foot retail space.

KenFSU

« Reply #100 on: July 17, 2018, 08:58:45 PM »

Yea I’m sure that how they are engineering it, they are probably just making the wall facing Main Street removable to install an entry door and perhaps a small full length window. A compact car parking space is about 8x18 so you would only need 5 spots for a small 720 sq foot retail space.

Correct. If the retail portions are converted, you'd only be losing around 10 spots for the Main Street space, and about 5 spots for the Main/Forsyth corner spot. Sure, the parking spots would in theory be in demand, but reserved, first-floor spots downtown tend to go for like $80 a month. So really, build-out costs aside, if Atkins could get more than $800/month in rent for the Main Street slot and more than $400 a month in rent for the corner spot, he's ROI'ing long-term, regardless of demand for parking.

Can't wait to see what Atkins puts into the retail portion facing Laura Street.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I think a Panera Bread (or better yet, Au Bon Pain) would be perfect for that spot.

Safe, clean, reliable cafe, serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner and providing a dependable place to get comfortable and hang out for awhile.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 09:06:00 PM by KenFSU »

FlaBoy

« Reply #101 on: July 17, 2018, 09:50:27 PM »
They might as well go 9 stories at this point to match the garage behind it.

marcuscnelson

« Reply #102 on: July 18, 2018, 12:41:41 AM »

Wow....big garage.

Isn't this only one extra level? Based on the renderings it was already 6 levels if you included the ground and roof. This is just slapping another floor on top.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #103 on: July 18, 2018, 06:49:44 AM »
The garage's ground floor plan:

Houseboat Mike

« Reply #104 on: July 18, 2018, 09:21:10 AM »

Correct. If the retail portions are converted, you'd only be losing around 10 spots for the Main Street space, and about 5 spots for the Main/Forsyth corner spot. Sure, the parking spots would in theory be in demand, but reserved, first-floor spots downtown tend to go for like $80 a month. So really, build-out costs aside, if Atkins could get more than $800/month in rent for the Main Street slot and more than $400 a month in rent for the corner spot, he's ROI'ing long-term, regardless of demand for parking.

Can't wait to see what Atkins puts into the retail portion facing Laura Street.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I think a Panera Bread (or better yet, Au Bon Pain) would be perfect for that spot.

Safe, clean, reliable cafe, serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner and providing a dependable place to get comfortable and hang out for awhile.

2 words.....Taco Bell.  ;D