Author Topic: Retail garage project proposed for downtown  (Read 12945 times)

Steve

• The Jaxson
Re: Retail garage project proposed for downtown
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2018, 10:16:34 AM »
Not so fast. Not sure if this is a mistake or a last minute change.

"The Main Street and Forsyth Street parking garage renovations. The garage will provide parking for the Barnett Bank building and the Laura Street Trio. A two-story 8,728 square-foot retail space on the corner of Forsyth and Laura Street is also planned."

https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2018/05/14/jones-bros-building-hotel-indigo-up-for-ddrb.html

What's different from the Daily Record article?

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2018, 10:24:18 AM »

"The Main Street and Forsyth Street parking garage renovations. The garage will provide parking for the Barnett Bank building and the Laura Street Trio. A two-story 8,728 square-foot retail space on the corner of Forsyth and Laura Street is also planned."

https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2018/05/14/jones-bros-building-hotel-indigo-up-for-ddrb.html

It looks like the same info. The Daily Record is just more thorough. Sounds like the retail space won't be coming in initially, the structure is just being built so that it could be added later.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

KenFSU

« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2018, 10:56:53 AM »
^Just as soon as the SunTrust Tower's occupancy rate reaches 65 percent!

:D

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2018, 11:40:34 AM »

It looks like the same info. The Daily Record is just more thorough. Sounds like the retail space won't be coming in initially, the structure is just being built so that it could be added later.

Well, Laura & Forsyth will be at launch. Main and Forsyth will follow based on market.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Jagsdrew

« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2018, 08:28:16 AM »
DDRB approved! With retail!
Twitter: @Jagsdrew

KenFSU

« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2018, 09:09:39 AM »
Definitely sounds like the garage will be breaking ground before the Trio.

I wonder what happens if the economy goes south and the rest of the Trio is delayed.

Is the city still on the hook for the $660,000 annual lease on the spots? Is Southeast still on the hook for leasing back 250 spots (though the Barnett should cover most of these)?

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2018, 09:53:12 AM »
Definitely sounds like the garage will be breaking ground before the Trio.

I wonder what happens if the economy goes south and the rest of the Trio is delayed.

Is the city still on the hook for the $660,000 annual lease on the spots? Is Southeast still on the hook for leasing back 250 spots (though the Barnett should cover most of these)?

For what it's worth, the plan was Barnett, Garage, Trio. I think the Trio is still going through some regulations if I remember.

jaxjags

« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2018, 02:56:42 PM »
I believe they can only receive the incentives if all three parts, including the Trio, are actually completed by a certain date. Of course anything can happen, but this is better than other deals.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2018, 06:41:29 AM »
Here's a better rendering:

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2018, 10:12:23 AM »
Definitely not the most eye-popping garage I've ever seen. But, it's okay and the real key is the Barnett and Laura Trio.

jaxnyc79

« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2018, 03:45:16 PM »
Definitely not the most eye-popping garage I've ever seen. But, it's okay and the real key is the Barnett and Laura Trio.

It would have been nice to see a taller garage, but sitting more in the interior of the block, and flanked on both sides by non-garage structures with ground-level retail and residential on top.  I feel like this is an extraordinary amount of additional parking for these renovations - but perhaps I'm wrong.  If I recall correctly, several entire blocks in that immediate vicinity are covered by garages.  I guess the point is that for restaurant and office uses to flourish in downtown Jax, you have to give patrons and tenants as close to a suburban experience as possible, meaning no searches for parking, and parking spaces nearly adjacent to the destination.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2018, 04:08:09 PM »

It would have been nice to see a taller garage, but sitting more in the interior of the block, and flanked on both sides by non-garage structures with ground-level retail and residential on top.  I feel like this is an extraordinary amount of additional parking for these renovations - but perhaps I'm wrong.  If I recall correctly, several entire blocks in that immediate vicinity are covered by garages.  I guess the point is that for restaurant and office uses to flourish in downtown Jax, you have to give patrons and tenants as close to a suburban experience as possible, meaning no searches for parking, and parking spaces nearly adjacent to the destination.

I think your garage thoughts are sound in terms of design, but would be much more expensive. This entire project was a tough one to get to this point, so while I don’t love the thing, I’ll live with it.

Also, the garage is being used by the hotel, so that’s likely driving the space count.

jaxnyc79

« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2018, 05:02:37 PM »

I think your garage thoughts are sound in terms of design, but would be much more expensive. This entire project was a tough one to get to this point, so while I don’t love the thing, I’ll live with it.

Also, the garage is being used by the hotel, so that’s likely driving the space count.

Much more expensive because taller?  Taller garage in the center of the block, and just leave the block-ends empty for now until someone builds non-garages.  Why give up an entire city block to nothing but a garage is my point.  Jax should try and get away from that.  Is there a way to achieve that aesthetic without breaking the bank? 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 05:45:12 PM by jaxnyc79 »

KenFSU

« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2018, 05:05:05 PM »
If I recall correctly, several entire blocks in that immediate vicinity are covered by garages.

I was walking around downtown today, and if you really stop to notice, it's staggering how much dead space there really is. There are pockets of storefronts here and there, but it feels like for every two or three active uses along the street, there are seven or eight parking garage walls, or banks, or government buildings, etc. Even with all the new residential going up, I worry that the existing infrastructure and tenet mix really handicaps our ability to achieve a truly vibrant 24/7 downtown, particularly in the central business district.

I'm thrilled to see the Trio + Barnett happening (though Chase on the ground floor creates another dead zone on nights and weekends in a highly trafficked area), but I really do think we need to follow other city's leads and require maybe 40% of street frontage for all new development to be active. Even if it means sticking to our guns and losing out on something. Otherwise we're going to - quite literally - box our downtown into a corner.