Author Topic: Exploring North Florida: Fernandina Beach  (Read 1754 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Exploring North Florida: Fernandina Beach
« on: January 11, 2018, 03:00:03 AM »
Exploring North Florida: Fernandina Beach

Jacksonville may be Northeast Florida's largest city and St. Augustine may be the nation's oldest, but if you're willing to explore, you'll discover the First Coast is filled with many  interesting communities. Named in honor of Spain's King Ferdinand VII, Fernandina Beach is a well-preserved historic 19th century seaport with a very intriguing past.

Read More: https://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2018-jan-exploring-north-florida-fernandina-beach

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Re: Exploring North Florida: Fernandina Beach
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 07:00:25 AM »
An absolute favorite "Staycation" destination for me...  Good food... decent nightlife... plenty to explore...  8)
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

sanmarcomatt

• Mayor of The Donut District
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 08:41:20 AM »
An absolute favorite "Staycation" destination for me...  Good food... decent nightlife... plenty to explore...  8)

Same here. We much prefer it to St Augustine  although Center Street still disappoints with its "strong mix" of Touristy crap and Real Estate store fronts. However, we love exploring the side streets. Sometimes we bring our bikes. Dining has stepped up its game with places like David's.

Interesting Town home development that just broke  ground. Would love something like this in San Marco.

https://fernandinaobserver.com/uncategorized/coming-soon-a-new-look-for-old-south-3rd-street/

https://fernandinaobserver.com/uncategorized/artisan-homes-breaks-ground-for-harbor-view/

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 09:46:36 AM »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 09:56:03 AM »
Something like this is in the works for San Marco:
https://www.moderncities.com/article/2017-dec-multifamily-coming-to-north-san-marco

Outstanding if it happens but would need to be in a location like East San Marco to get a whiff of the Harbor View price points.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 10:13:20 AM »
The District will have them at Harbor View price points thanks to your generous donation in the works ;-).
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 10:26:13 AM »
The District will have them at Harbor View price points thanks to your generous donation in the works ;-).

ha ha ha. We would actually be interested in a District TH at those price points if all of these San Marco/South bank proposals would be built.
Prediction: I think will be living in Charleston and reading "What may have been" stories on MJ.

Traveller

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 10:27:30 AM »
A point of clarification: the pulp mill in Fernandina Beach is now owned by Rayonier Advanced Materials, which was spun off from Rayonier in 2015.  Rayonier just sells timber and real estate now.

Has anyone here read Grisham's "Camino Island"?  Quite obviously based on Amelia Island, with many references to the island's historic district, not to mention beach cottages and resort hotels.

Sonic101

• It's Coming
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 01:47:02 PM »
Something like downtown Fernandina is what I wish Jax Beach had.

Gunnar

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 06:34:19 AM »
Something like downtown Fernandina is what I wish Jax Beach had.

I remember talking to a friend's grandparents in they said in the 50s and 60s downtown Jacksonville was the place to go for "fancy" shopping, food and entertainment. How times change....
I want to live in a society where people can voice unpopular opinions because I know that as a result of that, a society grows and matures...” — Hugh Hefner

avonjax

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 09:26:44 AM »
I love Fernandina Beach! Probably because I was born there....