Author Topic: The HourGlass Pub on Bay to Close  (Read 4268 times)

02roadking

The HourGlass Pub on Bay to Close
« on: January 09, 2018, 07:54:49 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/TheHourglassPub/  is set to close at the beginning of next month. How unfortunate.
Springfield since 1998

Tacachale

• Administrator
Re: The HourGlass Pub on Bay to Close
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 12:19:40 PM »
 :'( I did a talk there this fall. Sorry to see this place go.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

FlaBoy

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 02:25:15 PM »
The Elbow as a nightlife destination is pretty much dead. Dos Gatos and 1904 for some concerts? We need a convention center over there and need to re-make that area.

wanderson91

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 03:08:48 PM »
Hourglass is a great spot! Nothing quite like it downtown. Hate that it's closing.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 07:47:31 PM »
The Elbow as a nightlife destination is pretty much dead. Dos Gatos and 1904 for some concerts? We need a convention center over there and need to re-make that area.

That would certainly help. Early to mid-week tourists on corporate expense accounts is never a bad thing. The dynamic with Cowford is interesting. The challenge is that the typical Cowford crowd might not be the lounge/nightclub people. But it can't hurt over time, and Bold City seems to be doing much better.

I think the block directly across from the old City Hall is a killer. The problem is that downtowns work on synergy of surrounding places. The Holmes block is not a disaster, but the end of it coupled with the next block makes the place look abandoned at night.

If there was something decent in the middle of all of that, it would be really nice.

KenFSU

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 09:44:21 AM »
^I think we're going to see Convention Center talk pick up considerably, starting today.

FlaBoy

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 02:27:30 PM »

That would certainly help. Early to mid-week tourists on corporate expense accounts is never a bad thing. The dynamic with Cowford is interesting. The challenge is that the typical Cowford crowd might not be the lounge/nightclub people. But it can't hurt over time, and Bold City seems to be doing much better.

I think the block directly across from the old City Hall is a killer. The problem is that downtowns work on synergy of surrounding places. The Holmes block is not a disaster, but the end of it coupled with the next block makes the place look abandoned at night.

If there was something decent in the middle of all of that, it would be really nice.

There also aren't many that go over there for lunch from the CBD as many a place has opened and closed. Maybe Cowford can begin to change that. If there were a convention center there as a driver, I would love to see almost a Larimer Square look with some sort of sense of place to the area that cements it as a destination by the Convention Center that's integrated with the street but also between the CBD and the Sports Complex:

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

remc86007

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 01:58:38 PM »
^That's a good sign for downtown.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 03:41:27 PM »
NOTE: I split the Convention Center RFP Discussion into it's own thread.

Steve

jaxrox

• Juno Who
    • Personal Page  FOLLOW ME IF YOU DARE
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 05:04:33 PM »
Bummer that hourglass is going away, but definitely good news that something else is going to that spot almost as soon as it does
#everhopeful #lovemycity
I hope they keep the old Hollywood stars paint art on the outside too :)

FlaBoy

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 12:28:56 PM »
How is Myth doing down there?

Lostwave

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 09:41:47 AM »
Apparently the hourglass pub turned into a meth lab while it was closed down.  That takes some courage... being right next to the jail.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/jacksonville/jacksonville-police-nearly-3-gallons-of-meth-discovered-inside-vacant-downtown-pub

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 09:42:31 AM »
Apparently the hourglass pub turned into a meth lab while it was closed down.  That takes some courage... being right next to the jail.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/jacksonville/jacksonville-police-nearly-3-gallons-of-meth-discovered-inside-vacant-downtown-pub

Bahaha. Heisenberg they are not.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 10:02:08 AM »
   ;D 8)
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."