Author Topic: Thriving cities leaving others behind  (Read 1587 times)

vicupstate

Thriving cities leaving others behind
« on: January 04, 2018, 04:41:41 AM »
https://www.postandcourier.com/business/decade-since-recession-thriving-cities-leave-others-behind/article_dbe7b45a-ecac-11e7-990c-23b673f5279d.html

Long read but worth the time. There is a big disparity in prosperity and wealth regionally within the US. This is not getting the attention it deserves.   
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

sanmarcomatt

• Mayor of The Coffee District
Re: Thriving cities leaving others behind
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 09:10:45 AM »
https://www.postandcourier.com/business/decade-since-recession-thriving-cities-leave-others-behind/article_dbe7b45a-ecac-11e7-990c-23b673f5279d.html

Long read but worth the time. There is a big disparity in prosperity and wealth regionally within the US. This is not getting the attention it deserves.   
I think I hear CincyMatt laughing at this part of the article:

One result has been huge wealth gains for a fortunate few. A resident of San Francisco who bought a typical home, paying nearly $816,000 in the spring of 2007 — just as the housing market nationwide was collapsing — has gained $365,000 in the past decade.

In Cincinnati, a homeowner who bought at the same time would have paid just $143,000 but would have gained only $6,500.

"Geography plays a critical role in wealth building," said Ralph McLaughlin, chief economist at Trulia.

jaxrox

• Juno Who
    • Personal Page  FOLLOW ME IF YOU DARE
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 01:11:42 AM »
Were you from Cincy, SMM? Just curious. The sheer amount of Ohio license plates I have seen in the 1 1/2 years I have lived in Jacksonville has suprised me, lol. Not to mention that I just can't get behind the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp, I'm REDLEGS 4LIFE❣
Ok thanks for the heads up about the article being a long read, so I will have to check it out either Thursday or Friday afternoon (current time noted)
In general though, yes, I have observed that there are definite lines in wealth/prosperity drawn in zipcodes,area codes,(and sometimes just a few blocks) in many regions
..and to all a good night..

sanmarcomatt

• Mayor of The Coffee District
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 08:07:04 AM »
Were you from Cincy, SMM? Just curious. The sheer amount of Ohio license plates I have seen in the 1 1/2 years I have lived in Jacksonville has suprised me, lol. Not to mention that I just can't get behind the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp, I'm REDLEGS 4LIFE❣
Ok thanks for the heads up about the article being a long read, so I will have to check it out either Thursday or Friday afternoon (current time noted)
In general though, yes, I have observed that there are definite lines in wealth/prosperity drawn in zipcodes,area codes,(and sometimes just a few blocks) in many regions
..and to all a good night..

No, I am from Massachusetts...just a little play on words as a hypothetical "CincyMatt"  would love the low Cincy housing expenses relative to median income and would be rather wealthy due to investing.

I-10east

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 04:51:07 PM »
Atleast Cincy doesn't have third world-esque refugee tent cities everywhere like much of urban California does. These Democratic politicians in Cali are far from virtuous (like they care about refugees), they just want the votes; which is why they have that sauctuary policy in place. Not to mention pension problems in alot of urban Cali (like here in Jax too), high taxes, and the job unfriendly environment that Cali is.

I remember when someone said on MJ (the hood part of Jax is like third world to San Fran) Nope!!! Vice Versa! Jax doesn't have open air tent megalopolises on city sidewalks and whatever nook and cranny they can fit in. Cali is gonna have to figure out if they wanna stay a great first world state (like they once was) or continue to slip into the third world. No wonder why rural Northern Cali (AKA Jefferson and some other regions) wants to succeed from the coastal elites (San Fran and LA mainly).   
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 04:55:13 PM by I-10east »