Author Topic: The District wants $26 million in public incentives  (Read 25423 times)

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT)
    • Music and Personal Info Website
Re: The District wants $26 million in public incentives
« Reply #180 on: June 13, 2018, 10:51:36 PM »
Super good, awesome news. Let's do this!
DONATE TODAY TO HELP ALL WHO ARE IN NEED BY CLICKING HERE ON MY MUSIC WEBISTE: http://HTTP://WWW.REVERBNATION.COM/COSTON; ALL PURCHASES ARE DONATIONS TO HELP ALL OF THOSE WHO ARE NEEDY, UNDERPRIVILEGED AND DISADVANTAGED.

Rynjny

« Reply #181 on: July 13, 2018, 10:26:24 AM »
Ryan

Captain Zissou

« Reply #182 on: July 13, 2018, 10:31:17 AM »

KenFSU

« Reply #183 on: July 13, 2018, 10:42:30 AM »
Awesome news.

Long time coming, an exciting day for Jax.

Tacachale

• Administrator
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

marcuscnelson

« Reply #185 on: July 13, 2018, 03:43:19 PM »
It's about time.

If Rummell can really deliver on this, he's going to be enshrined as one of the people who changed this city forever. And he'd deserve it.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #186 on: July 13, 2018, 05:14:07 PM »
I'm not sure about that. How many units has Vestcor added in the core? No one is saying they changed the city.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

heights unknown

« Reply #187 on: July 13, 2018, 05:25:37 PM »
Super awesome news...now "git er done!!!"
DONATE TODAY TO HELP ALL WHO ARE IN NEED BY CLICKING HERE ON MY MUSIC WEBISTE: http://HTTP://WWW.REVERBNATION.COM/COSTON; ALL PURCHASES ARE DONATIONS TO HELP ALL OF THOSE WHO ARE NEEDY, UNDERPRIVILEGED AND DISADVANTAGED.

heights unknown

« Reply #188 on: July 13, 2018, 05:39:47 PM »

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #189 on: July 13, 2018, 05:43:17 PM »
I'm not sure about that. How many units has Vestcor added in the core? No one is saying they changed the city.

Agreed. I can’t see a negative (aside from whether or not it was the best use of incentive money). Transformative? No.

KenFSU

« Reply #190 on: July 13, 2018, 08:39:06 PM »
The District will absolutely be transformative for the Southbank, and I think it's one of those catalytic projects like the Laura Street Trio that will cause a lot of other dominoes to fall behind it.

I think will have residual effects on everything from JTA's new Skyway, to Duval County Schools and their HQ, to the way people use the riverwalk.

I also think it's going to create some friendly competition with Khan and the Jags.

Can you imagine looking across the river and seeing all those cranes at the District, while the Shipyards and Met Park sit their on your front lawn festering away?

Further down the line, I think we're going to see some really cool synergy between the District and Lot J/Shipyards.

Good times ahead.

Bill Hoff

« Reply #191 on: July 13, 2018, 10:37:11 PM »
The District will absolutely be transformative for the Southbank, and I think it's one of those catalytic projects like the Laura Street Trio that will cause a lot of other dominoes to fall behind it.

I think will have residual effects on everything from JTA's new Skyway, to Duval County Schools and their HQ, to the way people use the riverwalk.

I also think it's going to create some friendly competition with Khan and the Jags.

Can you imagine looking across the river and seeing all those cranes at the District, while the Shipyards and Met Park sit their on your front lawn festering away?

Further down the line, I think we're going to see some really cool synergy between the District and Lot J/Shipyards.

Good times ahead.

2034 will be a great year.

jaxnyc79

« Reply #192 on: July 14, 2018, 08:31:30 AM »

Good times ahead.

2034 will be a great year.

I'm incredibly excited about the Ambassador Hotel project.  Hope I'm wrong, but I'm just very doubtful that the District gets off the ground and that the deal looks anything like it's described today.  Will the city build a street grid on the District property so that once Elements fades, we are left with urban plots for other developers?

heights unknown

« Reply #193 on: July 14, 2018, 12:23:27 PM »
2034. Wow. Little to no optimism? If that is true, I...will...be...dead.

KenFSU

« Reply #194 on: July 14, 2018, 01:31:50 PM »
I'm just very doubtful that the District gets off the ground and that the deal looks anything like it's described today.  Will the city build a street grid on the District property so that once Elements fades, we are left with urban plots for other developers?

All due respect, but if you're going to be doubtful, at least be informed of the facts :)

The city's going to build three riverfront parks totaling 3.5 acres, a 1-acre pocket park, a 1,900-foot expansion of the riverwalk, a public walking trail around the District, a 100-space parking lot, and expand three roads for public access.

Elements will be responsible for horizontal construction, including the street grid, sidewalks, etc., funded by issuing $30 million in bonds through the CDD.

And the bonds will be repayed through REV grants, contingent on construction and increased property value as the District is completed.

The city doesn't own the land to hand out to other developers, Elements put down $18 million for it this week.

Even though there were clear signs that continual progress was being made (environmental due diligence, the very lengthy, very expensive DDRB approval process, negotiations with tenants, marina permitting, etc.), I understand the skepticism when the sale kept getting delayed.

But now that the sale is closed, the details of the agreement are in the open, and it's crystal clear that the only way for Elements to get full incentives for this project is to keep their foot on the gas and build what they've promised, what the city has approved, and what public infrastructure will be constructed to accommodate, I just don't get the pessimism.

People who have done a lot of the good things for the city over the last 20 years have dedicated years of their lives to making the District vision a reality.

You don't do that to just randomly bail.

I've said it for years, but I'l say it again.

The District will be largely finished by the time you see anything go vertical across the river at the Shipyards.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 01:36:20 PM by KenFSU »