Author Topic: Jacksonville's early 20th century Chinese community  (Read 1598 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Jacksonville's early 20th century Chinese community
« on: December 14, 2017, 05:30:01 AM »
Jacksonville's early 20th century Chinese community

Following the end of the Civil War, the United States experienced a major wave of immigration, fueling the growth of its urban centers nationwide. While the stories involving immigration in early Jacksonville have been lost to time, Jacksonville was no exception to the rule.

Read More: https://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2017-dec-jacksonvilles-early-20th-century-chinese-community

ProjectMaximus

Re: Jacksonville's early 20th century Chinese community
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 11:48:55 AM »
Oh i totally forgot you told me about this Lake! Very cool...well not the discrimination part that drove them away. Can you imagine if we still had remnants of this? Or if all those Chinese investors who've talked about building a Chinatown in Jax (granted it has always been pie-in-the-sky) actually had historic Chinatown buildings to redevelop? Cool stuff.

jaxlore

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 10:02:44 AM »
Wow I had no clue. It's a shame how much culture and history in jax has been whitewashed

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 09:25:05 PM »
It's a shame. I'm doing the research on a future red light district story now. I now have the madam and call girl's names for 80 to 90% of the +60 brothels that lined Ward between Lee and Broad Streets in 1910. Lots of pictures as well. It will eventually end up as an article but I'm also contemplating doing a quarterly walking tour built around the stories and sites that have materialized to date.

Here's a sneak peak!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 03:44:34 PM »
This my favorite political cartoons from the early days of the Chinese exclusion act, the first of the laws that kept virtually all new Chinese immigrants out of the country from 1882 until World War II. The Golden Gate is closed to the Chinese laborer and the "industry", "order", "peace", and "sobriety" he brings.

Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?